• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

I just read the comic book/graphic novel because I wanted to do that before I watched the show and there is definitely the same vibe of "what is going on?" and trying to pin down the chronology, etc.

I knew very very little about Watchmen going in and have really dug it. Fwiw. I didn't mind being a little lost and confused for a while.

It's not a netflix or stream show so spoiling on the wrong thread anyway. Its not too much to ask people use spoiler function since... well, it exists.

Props to jaybone

Nope three day rule or whatever crazy fast timeline Ph uses

48 hours for movies
Later that night for network TV

Don’t really have any guidelines for pay TV or streaming. We usually ended up talking about the Netflix shows a few weeks after they dropped.

Feel free to talk about Watchmen or even start a thread for it if you think it’s popular enough.

Just finished the most recent episode. Biff, you really wanna hitch your wagon to Jaybone’s star on this one. That episode was amazing

agree...last episode was fantastic and Jaybone is talking out of his ass.

Yeah, uh, sorry Jaybone/Biff (there's a pairing I wasn't expecting!), but no

I think the show has been at its best when it goes into character study mode, which I get isn't for everyone, but the viewer being out of their depths initially is sort of the point. Thematically, it's also had some really nice self-contained episodes (the Hooded Justice one comes to mind, as does the Looking Glass ep) that fit in well with its recurring motifs (questions about identity, criminal justice, racial injustice, weighing few vs the many, fear as a motivator, etc).

Plotwise, I think they've done such a good job of world building and moving its various pieces into place for the endgame. The cast is great (Smart in particular is SO FUCKING GOOD in this role). There is a lot to still resolve in the finale on Sunday, yeah, but fuck it, I trust Lindelof (who has been adamant that this is a contained single season project for him), and I think regardless of whether or not they stick the landing, the journey has been bonkers-level good.

only semi-related, but the fact that Ph has the CBM thread title named for the fucking CW-verse and not this is really funny to me

Indeed. Also really hoping for a season 2, even though I know that wasn't initially the plan.

Indeed. Also really hoping for a season 2, even though I know that wasn't initially the plan.

I go the other way with it. Lindelof has left a 2nd season open, but only in the sense that he wouldn't be involved with it if there is one. He's said that he would welcome other folks to make something in that space. I don't think I'd want that, since he seems to be a huge part of why this season has been so good.

We've also seen, very recently, what happens when a near-perfect HBO miniseries originally designed for one season gets an unexpected season 2 with a new showrunner.

Last edited:
(that being said, I am still extremely excited for The New Pope and it is going to be great and nobody can convince me otherwise)

Last edited:
S2 of Mindhunter much better than S1. They drew the story out over several episodes rather than solving a couple meaningless cases every week along the way. I remember the Atlanta murder on the news as a boy. Never thought about the racial dynamic and politics, which I assume is accurately portrayed here.

Made the mistake of watching You Were Never Really Here on prime and Tell Me Who I Am on Netflix back to back today. Not good considering the similar and depressing subject matter. Would not watch You Were Never again. Too dark and weird and while Phoenix is good, the role isn’t. Tell Me was so mortifying. Can’t blame either of the brothers for wanting what they did.

I'm a couple of episodes behind on Watchmen so I'm kind of skimming the thread now. I'm not sure what's crazy about the argument that it's a little hard to follow. If you're only watching once a week instead of a couple of episodes at a time it would be easy to forget details and threads.

Back