• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Yeah, uh, sorry Jaybone/Biff (there's a pairing I wasn't expecting!), but no

I think the show has been at its best when it goes into character study mode, which I get isn't for everyone, but the viewer being out of their depths initially is sort of the point. Thematically, it's also had some really nice self-contained episodes (the Hooded Justice one comes to mind, as does the Looking Glass ep) that fit in well with its recurring motifs (questions about identity, criminal justice, racial injustice, weighing few vs the many, fear as a motivator, etc).

Plotwise, I think they've done such a good job of world building and moving its various pieces into place for the endgame. The cast is great (Smart in particular is SO FUCKING GOOD in this role). There is a lot to still resolve in the finale on Sunday, yeah, but fuck it, I trust Lindelof (who has been adamant that this is a contained single season project for him), and I think regardless of whether or not they stick the landing, the journey has been bonkers-level good.

I love character mode, and I have enjoyed these last three episodes (before finale - haven't seen it yet - whole household is sick even the fucking dog), so I will hold out judgement, but I disagree that they have done a great job of world building. I don't get the world really at all. Maybe I have gotten so used to watching a show 2 at a time every few nights that the one week one episode pattern leaves my addled brain wanting.

I also think that Lndellof bit off a lot by choice. He added the Tulsa massacre at the start. I grew up in Tulsa so was familiar with it before (no, I was not remotely alive). So far, I think Lindelof bit off more than he could chew. I don't say they happily because I want a white man to be able to tell this story successfully, but fear that he didn't quite get there.

BTW, I saw Queen and Slim this weekend and that movie was devastating and sort of confirmed for me what I have been thinking about Watchmen - that they haven't pulled the racial stuff together at all. It's a mess heading into the season finale IMO.

I'm a couple of episodes behind on Watchmen so I'm kind of skimming the thread now. I'm not sure what's crazy about the argument that it's a little hard to follow. If you're only watching once a week instead of a couple of episodes at a time it would be easy to forget details and threads.

it's sort of a thing that tv shows in 2019 are bad at storytelling

I'm sure everyone that cares, knows, but S4 of "The Expanse" was released yesterday.

Don’t F*** With Cats is wild. Very misleading title, I must have been living under a rock when this happened because I don’t remember it at all.

3 episodes into The Leftovers. It’s engrossing, but does it get any less soul-crushing. Shit is a hard watch.

3 episodes into The Leftovers. It’s engrossing, but does it get any less soul-crushing. Shit is a hard watch.

Bad news for someone hoping that show gets easier to watch... It's definitely not bingeable, at least without making sure you book a session with your therapist after 3 straight.

It's great tv though and is satisfying from start to end.

As to my recent viewings - I just watched that "Don't F With Cats" series. Was quite good but I have to say, when I watched it I did binge all 3 but I was tired and fell asleep during the last one (not the show's fault, just that tired). Now, I don't know about anyone else, but when I sleep while watching or listening to something, that other stimulus tends to get interwoven into my own dreams. Damn, having that show driving a dream really did a number on me. So my official recommendation of the series - strong yes but only if fully awake.

After watching the first season of Leftovers I thought it was meh. After the 2nd season i thought it was really good. After the 3rd/final season it became one of my favorite shows of all time.

With that said, its relentlessly devastating throughout and probably not the mindset you want to bring to the xmas dinner table.

Last edited:
Back