• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Bojack is great but the huge praise it gets makes me think there's something I'm missing.

The Good Place Season 2 started today. I'm really glad I binged Season 1. Such a good show. Love what they're doing this season.

Finished Bojack last night. I wanted to find what I posted about it before. It's funny that I posted about Bojack and The Good Place at the same time. I think if I had finished Bojack before finishing The Good Place, some parts of the stretch run would have worked more for me. Bojack really takes advantage of the Netflix format, but I really could have used a "Previously on Bojack Horseman" in the last few episodes. I had completely forgotten two of the past characters who were featured near the end. And I forgot a lot of the details around Sarah Lynn's death to the point that some of them seem like retcons. I want to hope that the Hollyhock plotline was a product of the actress' availability or something. Otherwise, man. That's just a gut punch.

RSF gets at what I was saying. I think if you have dealt with some of the issues characters in the show deal with or are close to people who have, it resonates much more.

I'm more like Mr. Peanutbutter than anybody else in the show.

I thought Diane's last monologue captured the experience of going from your 20s to your 30s extremely well. I really liked what they did with her and Mr. Peanutbutter this season. And Amy Sedaris should get some awards for Princess Caroline. She's one of my favorite animated characters of all time. She really carried the show for long stretches of the last two seasons. I don't see myself in Bojack the way some might. But I definitely see aspects of myself in Mr. Peanutbutter, Princess Caroline, and Diane.

Spoilers here

Diane and Bojack play depression differently but illustrate its effects really well. Bojack kept finding that nothing would make him happy, from sex to fame to substances but he got close when he could live simply and teach or be with people he loved. Diane was always being marginalized or underemployed or pushed around and once she got everything she wanted (book deal, loving and attentive and emotionally available partner) she panicked and realized she might not have as much to say as she always thought she did.

If you go all the way back to the start of the series you couldn’t necessarily tell the show was going to go so deep on substance abuse and mental health and family and death and grief and trauma but the way it turned into that kind of show was excellent to watch. Without the layer of animation and humor idk what kind of show it would be, it might play as melodrama.

The second to last episode, the scene with the stage and door I was barely breathing for stretches, that was a totally brutal watch.

I thought Diane's last monologue captured the experience of going from your 20s to your 30s extremely well. I really liked what they did with her and Mr. Peanutbutter this season. And Amy Sedaris should get some awards for Princess Caroline. She's one of my favorite animated characters of all time. She really carried the show for long stretches of the last two seasons. I don't see myself in Bojack the way some might. But I definitely see aspects of myself in Mr. Peanutbutter, Princess Caroline, and Diane.

My bro and I were talking about the part where she talks about people not meant to be in your life forever but still help you become the person you are meant to be and how that’s okay. That really hit me hard. Can’t really explain why, it just did.

And as I mentioned on CT, the penultimate episode was just a recipe for anxiety.

Quite possibly my favorite show ever.

We’re old enough that we’ve had a lot of relationships like that. Friendships that we will never get back for whatever reason but they were important nonetheless.

I think Diane made several key points about long term friendship. Bojack’s voicemail was a shitty thing to do and approached the limits of friendship. And it’s OK for those type of friends to not see each other again and still care about each other while living independent lives.

Diane’s story also made a strong case for taking your damn meds and accepting your limits. For a time, her closest companions were two big Hollywoo stars and a big time agent and she struggled to figure out how to reach their level. At the end of her story, she was happy being married to a regular guy, writing books she was good at writing, and being who she is not who she wanted to be. I’m pretty surprised she didn’t reveal she was pregnant at the end.

Last edited:
I thought it was from the antidepressant side effects.

She had been putting on weight the whole season but she was particularly bigger in one specific area. Of course the problem with that theory was that she climbed the roof.

She had been putting on weight the whole season but she was particularly bigger in one specific area. Of course the problem with that theory was that she climbed the roof.

More like two specific areas, amirite?

Hey, if I skip a few seasons of Bojack Horseman and just watch the final season will I understand everything ? Full disclosure, I am smart and perceptive.

And the nightmares but by all means make a huge leap

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure if she were pregnant they’d have made it obvious. They didn’t even have someone make a dickhead fat/pregnant joke

yeah, I feel that, man, but it's a fairly referential show, so you'd be missing out on the in-between

Honestly, you’re in a good spot, Biff. It’s so referential that I had forgot much of the events referenced this season. If you watch it within the next few months, you’ll remember them.

With much trepidation I checked out the first episode of "Hi Fidelity". I adore the book and really liked the movie but was worried that it wouldn't adapt to current times all that well but.. so far so good. I'll give all 10 episodes a watch. The Jack Black analog is an improvement over the movie.

I give an official "meh" to the totality of High Fidelity season 1. It has so many similarities to "She's Gotta Have It" that I can't help but compare and in that case, HF >>> SGHI (because it sucked). Despite the "meh" rating, I'd probably watch S2 should it be renewed.

ETA - soundtrack is noteworthy tho.

Last edited:
Back