• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

I got sucked into a fascination with the Barkley's for a about a week a few months ago. Love reading all the stories and watching that documentary. That is one hell of an accomplishment for those people.

I watched this (The Barkley Marathons) yesterday. Highly entertaining.

Saw some takes on Mr. Mayor a page or so back. Woof. That is some truly awful tv. Will not be revisiting that and have cancelled my series recording.

Saw some takes on Mr. Mayor a page or so back. Woof. That is some truly awful tv. Will not be revisiting that and have cancelled my series recording.

Kind of agree. It's OK, at best. It reminds me of a mix of The Good Place (because Danson seems like a similar character in both) and 30 Rock (fast dialogue, some good subtle jokes), but it's just not that good.

guys, Jason Sudeikis going through allen iverson's Practice speech was fucking brilliant. What a deep cut. that's a 20 year old reference.

I can't overstate how great The Expanse is now. As a Star Trek mega fan it's almost painful to see how good a sci-fi show can be today, knowing Trek isn't close to measuring up, but I'm just glad we have it.

Anybody else been counting the days 'till THE DIG? Came out today on Netflix and it was beautiful. Ralph Fiennes, Carey Mulligan, and Lily James. Digging in the dirt in Suffolk. My kind of movie

Solid movie. Not particularly exciting, but in typical British fashion, the acting just dominates the screen. Plus I like me some Lily James.

I can't overstate how great The Expanse is now. As a Star Trek mega fan it's almost painful to see how good a sci-fi show can be today, knowing Trek isn't close to measuring up, but I'm just glad we have it.

I'm reading book 1 now! Do you know/have you heard if the seasons line up with the books at all? Like when I finish book 1 am I good to watch season 1 before starting book 2?

guys, Jason Sudeikis going through allen iverson's Practice speech was fucking brilliant. What a deep cut. that's a 20 year old reference.

are you being facetious that the AI practice rant is a deep cut? Am I missing something?

very much not a deep cut in my circles

are you being facetious that the AI practice rant is a deep cut? Am I missing something?

very much not a deep cut in my circles

i mean, it's a very specific joke aimed at the people who would get it. it's not a reference to something that happened recently. so no, probably not a deep cut for 28-40 somethings who followed sports when they were in HS/college but culturally yeah, it's not Valvano or Muhammad Ali level or anything

I guess

I mean, just this week a buddy sent out a video in a group text of his two year old daughter saying "i'm talking about" and he finished the practice rant

I probably hear it referenced monthly

Here's the not so well known origin of the "Practice" rant.

i mean, it's a very specific joke aimed at the people who would get it. it's not a reference to something that happened recently. so no, probably not a deep cut for 28-40 somethings who followed sports when they were in HS/college but culturally yeah, it's not Valvano or Muhammad Ali level or anything

Isn’t that the audience for a show like Ted Lasso though?

I'm reading book 1 now! Do you know/have you heard if the seasons line up with the books at all? Like when I finish book 1 am I good to watch season 1 before starting book 2?

You could potentially Google it. However, if I recall correctly, the early seasons correspond with book number. That changed at some point and the later seasons become muddled. I believe there are also some differences so its not exactly 1:1.

Season 1 is the first half of book 1. Season 2 is the 2nd half of book 1 and all of book 2. Season 3 is all of book 3. Season 4 is all of book 4. I haven't seen the finale for season 5, but so far, it is largely in line with book 5.

There are character merges that lead to some plot lines getting ahead of themselves, much like in GoT if you read/watched that. One primary example is:

Avasarala isn't in the 1st book at all, but is needed to tie things together in season 1. Even with her, season 1 is still pretty incoherent, but they really find their footing in season 2.

There are rumors that next season could be the last, which would be tragic because if I had to rank the books it'd probably be something along the lines of:

5, 7, 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, 2

What's really cool about the series though is that i've seen die hard fans rank every book somewhere different. The themes and scope shift so much and different ones appeal to different people.

Last edited:
Season 1 is the first half of book 1. Season 2 is the 2nd half of book 1 and all of book 2. Season 3 is all of book 3. Season 4 is all of book 4. I haven't seen the finale for season 5, but so far, it is largely in line with book 5.

There are character merges that lead to some plot lines getting ahead of themselves, much like in GoT if you read/watched that. One primary example is:

Avasarala isn't in the 1st book at all, but is needed to tie things together in season 1. Even with her, season 1 is still pretty incoherent, but they really find their footing in season 2.

There are rumors that next season could be the last, which would be tragic because if I had to rank the books it'd probably be something along the lines of:

5, 7, 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, 2

What's really cool about the series though is that i've seen die hard fans rank every book somewhere different. The themes and scope shift so much and different ones appeal to different people.

They announced s6 will be the last prior to s5 release.

Back