• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

I wouldn't close the book on the possibility of life after S6 for The Expanse.

https://ew.com/tv/the-expanse-amazon-season-6-naren-shankar/

Yes, official statements so far say it's the last, but I personally wouldn't be too surprised to see more.

if the creative team is on board for more, then it's up to Amazon. It's probably an expensive show so I have no idea how they'll make their go/no-go decision.

There is also a major plot mechanic that happens after book 6 though that could make filming considerably more difficult. I'm just hoping that the show is gaining enough recognition now that Amazon won't hesitate to fund it.

This isn't like GoT. The final book was due out last year, but Covid delayed it. If the show continued for even 2 more seasons, it would provide ample time for the 9th and final book to be released and provide the source material for a culminating 9th or even 8th season.

Not sure if it has been discussed, but the Outpost is really, really good. Best war movie I've seen in a lot of years.

ok, so the wife and i started the Crown. I am sure most of you are already watching and i am only in the middle of the first season, but it is really good with a lot of good actors.

This thread is huge and I have no idea if it's been discussed but Rake is a more comedic version of Better Call Saul. Aussie TV but it's not tough to pick up on and some of their word usage is awesome ...."root" for example.

Disclaimer: about 25% of the show is courtroom stuff. I found most of it pretty funny but I am a lawyer.

Watched The Little Things on HBO Max last night. Pretty much a meh movie in spite of the casting. Rami Malek is miscast for his role. Seems like he was doing a lot of those Freddie Mercury mannerisms for a cop role, or it may just be that he's kind of a bugeyed freak and can't control it. Denzel solid as always, strangely understated. Jared Leto is always a good weirdo.

Watched The Little Things on HBO Max last night. Pretty much a meh movie in spite of the casting. Rami Malek is miscast for his role. Seems like he was doing a lot of those Freddie Mercury mannerisms for a cop role, or it may just be that he's kind of a bugeyed freak and can't control it. Denzel solid as always, strangely understated. Jared Leto is always a good weirdo.

Definitely underwhelming. Had potential, but fizzled out the last half of the movie.

The Sinner on Netflix is like True Detective for network tv, though has more disturbing scenes than True Detective

Surprisingly, Jessica Biel is great in s1 and Bill Pullman is also very good

things tie up very neatly, for better or worse, but s1 was good enough to check out s2

Highly recommend Calibre on Netflix. Indie British thriller -- saw it described as the British Deliverance, which make sense because it is less rednecky and a little more refined.

Highly recommend Calibre on Netflix. Indie British thriller -- saw it described as the British Deliverance, which make sense because it is less rednecky and a little more refined.

"I say good chap would you be so kind as to squeal like a pig?"

We started watching the Expanse over the weekend. It's some pretty good shit.

All three seasons of "the Sinner" are now on Netflix. Season one is great, and I'm halfway through season 2 right now which so far is just as good. Jessica Biel co-stars in the first season alongside Bill Pullman who is incredible in this role. Pullman reprises his role in season 2 in a new storyline.

I can't stand Bill Pullman, generally. Even if I like a movie he's in, he's always my least favorite part. Feel the same way about Bill Paxton.

I’m still not sure I “get” Letterkenny but I am very supportive of their casting of female characters.

Wife and I began a week or so ago with letterkenny. Heading into s2 now. We are enjoying it but don't think there is anything to "get." Just enjoying the silliness and characters. Do our fair share of rewinding because we missed follow up jokes laughing. Pitter patter.

I watched the first three episodes of "Crime Scene: Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel" last night. I remembered the video from 2013 and how fucking creepy it was. I had no idea that the hotel's history was even creepier. This is the same hotel that American Horror Story: Hotel was inspired by, and they built the set of the lobby in the show identical to the real-life lobby. I thought that was pretty cool to see. Multiple serial killers used the Cecil as their home base and thousands of crimes and deaths have taken place there. It's a very interesting watch.

Like most things Sinner season 1 > 2 >3

Generally agree, but these are close enough to each other to all be worth watching.

Both look good so far. I don't necessarily consider myself an acting connoisseur, but it's a clear improvement over the miniseries that aired a few decades ago. I particularly like what they are doing with Flagg, and Skarsgard has played it well. A lesser show would just try to turn him into Trump or something. I like what they are doing with the Harold character so far as well.

Definitely recommend if you have read and liked the book. If you haven't, the time ordering of the scenes/dreams might be a little weird to you.

So-revisiting this-mostly held up for the first 2/3 of the show. The actors playing Flagg's people were over the top in a good way. Last two episodes (I think there might be one more? Probably a bad sign if i'm not sure) were a pretty big dropoff.

(Don't know how to do spoiler tags, so I'm writing the following in white)

The second to last episode very hastily tried to end things at more or less the same point the book did. The last episode seemed to be teasing a second season, and made some bizarre choices in doing so. I've defended the acting, but the actor that plays Frannie is really overexposed here.

End spoiler.

Back