• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

its been a long time since i watched (though i did watch the movie wrap up when it aired) and i remember it in a similar way to juice. some of the dialog felt stilted or longwinded. at times the language seemed extreme - not the words themselves - rather the moment seemed played for shock rather than character "color."

Watched this tonight on Amazon Prime ($5.99)

This is a mopier John Hughes movie about four kids in 1987 who learned The Smiths broke up, so....Airheads meets Empire Records?? The Smiths are the soundtrack and their lyrics are inserted throughout the dialogue. It totally deserves the negative reviews it gets, but it is a nostalgic 80's Smiths-fest and for some that is enough.

I watched "The Simpsons" for the first time in a few years when I saw that Morrisey was being pissy about the most recent episode which satirized him. I wondered if his calling attention to the show boosted ratings but looks like nah, not really (1.3M vs 1.24 the prior week).

I watched "The Simpsons" for the first time in a few years when I saw that Morrisey was being pissy about the most recent episode which satirized him. I wondered if his calling attention to the show boosted ratings but looks like nah, not really (1.3M vs 1.24 the prior week).

I have read articles both pro-Simpsons and pro-Morrissey. I have not seen the episode so I don't have an opinion yet. It is well-known what an insufferable lout Morrissey is, but sit-coms at the end of their creative arc can tend toward meanness instead of satire. The pro-Morrissey article said The Simpsons has turned into a PC SJWs citing apologizing for white guy doing Apu voice. I don't know, but I don't like being on Morrissey's side of any argument. It is possible for both sides to be right here. One of the articles did link a review of the above movie.

Watching “This is a Robbery” right now which is a 4 part documentary series on the art heist at the Gardner museum in Boston. I was previously aware of the story and have been to the museum several times but there are a lot of fascinating angles to the series. Good watch.

I’ve been watching episodes from classic simpsons seasons from time to time since they’re all on Disney+. I’m realizing how so many of the little phrases or zingers that I use in everyday life that I’d long forgotten the source were from that show. Man those peak seasons were top notch.

Watching Season 2 of Highlander, which takes place in France, and this is some seriously bogged down shit. Jamie seems like a totally different person.

Watching “This is a Robbery” right now which is a 4 part documentary series on the art heist at the Gardner museum in Boston. I was previously aware of the story and have been to the museum several times but there are a lot of fascinating angles to the series. Good watch.

Haven't watched this yet but it is on my list. Similarly, I enjoyed American Animals about the heist of rare books at Transylvania University.

I posted about this twenty posts ago, #4604
Haven't watched this yet but it is on my list. Similarly, I enjoyed American Animals about the heist of rare books at Transylvania University.
American Animals was an awesome movie. I haven't stopped thinking about the metafictional frame and it was multiple years ago I watched it

I highly recommend Invincible on Amazon Prime. It looks like animated superhero kiddie fare but it's rated 16+ or 18+ for a reason. Brilliant storytelling and action.

American Animals is so so good. I happened across it when it came out on iTunes. Didn't know anything about it. Truly awesome.
I'm also very glad I knew next to nothing about it before watching. And I managed to keep myself from googling while I watched.

I've seen my share of Audubons around. If I were planning a heist, I'd not be stealing the hand-colored, individually-numbered, 40-inch tall volumes

Another rec for This is a Robbery (and thanks to wakephan for putting it on my radar). My sister was a classmate of Spencer from American Animals, so I was well versed in that story before the movie.

I started watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix, 4 episodes in I really like it.

I highly recommend Invincible on Amazon Prime. It looks like animated superhero kiddie fare but it's rated 16+ or 18+ for a reason. Brilliant storytelling and action.

I cannot second this enough. What an amazing show.

Nomadland was slow but good. I didn't think it was depressing, but rather life-affirming. I also didn't think it was much of a best picture. I have no desire to watch it again. McDormand is always great, but I didn't think this was really a top of the line performance from her. It didn't demand much of her talents. Just some close-ups of her looking pensive, though I guess she deserves some kudos for shitting in a bucket and floating full monty in a river.

I've been watching Saving Private Ryan on Netflix this week. Holy shit that that movie has some amazing acting. Right down to relatively minor roles, like Nathan Fillion playing the part of the wrong James Ryan from Minnesota, Adam Goldberg playing Mellish, Giovani Ribisi's death scene, even fucking Vin Diesel was great.

Back