• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

The Beatles documentary didn't really hold my attention. Some parts were certainly interesting but 8 hours was just more footage than I needed.

Pretty damn cool seeing "Let It Be" formulate from a dream Paul had to messing around with the song the next day.

Yeah it is. Yoko Ono is the big winner so far (I'm only about half way through). Not the divisive influence she has been described as.

I understand that Lincoln was a big fan of the first half of Our American Cousin.

Yeah it is. Yoko Ono is the big winner so far (I'm only about half way through). Not the divisive influence she has been described as.

well she did have authority over the footage representing John's estate, so there might've been video of the other 3 Beatles being like wtf is she doing here? but it got cut.

I've loved the Beatles since I was about 15, the anthologies came out when I was in high school and I was so fascinated with listening to how the songs developed and took shape. So it is really cool now to have video footage of the process for their last two albums. I've heard and read that Paul and John were barely speaking at the end, but here they are having a great time together, I mean Paul is clearly desperately trying to hang on to their past and John has found a new love, but, they clearly were a great team still. Two surprises for me, George is one that comes off as bratty and insecure, which is disappointing, and I was always under the impression that George Martin had a massive influence on the song writing and arrangement process, but, at least for these songs, he is barely present.

Wasn't George Martin pretty hands-off on the Let It Be recordings, but then they wanted him fully involved for Abbey Road?

They wanted Phil Spector to work the tunes, as I recall, so George was intentionally kind of brushed aside. I think he expected the same as usual and then was told no when they actually recorded the stuff.

I only watched about 2/3 of the first part so far. I love shit like this because it's so remarkably human. Band dynamics are usually the same everywhere. One strong personality whose opinions usually win out, one less strong personality, one guy who thinks he's being underappreciated, and one guy who's just like WTF I'll do whatever you want.

Haven't noticed much on the John/Yoko/Rest of band dynamic, but I can tell it's annoying that she's just sitting next to John the whole time. Even if she's saying nothing, that's not going to fly. John's head isn't in the game.

Haven't noticed much on the John/Yoko/Rest of band dynamic, but I can tell it's annoying that she's just sitting next to John the whole time. Even if she's saying nothing, that's not going to fly. John's head isn't in the game.

I was going to post that thought earlier - nobody else brought their girlfriend to work with them.

I was going to post that thought earlier - nobody else brought their girlfriend to work with them.

I've finished it now, and Yoko is omnipresent. I mean, she doesn't say anything ever and just kind of stares emotionlessly, zero humor, an occasional fawning maneuver for John. That would annoy the everloving piss out of me if I were any of the other Beatles. Linda is there, as is George's wife on occasion, but they're not sitting there with their beaus while they're trying to rehearse. Yoko to me is everything everybody ever made her out to be in this. And Jesus, nobody asked you to scream into the microphones you annoying bitch. Loved it when Linda's daughter started mimicking Yoko. It obviously wasn't malicious, but it was very funny and she was more in key and musical than Yoko.

Lots of impressions to be had of the lads from Liverpool in this three week snapshot. Paul is clearly trying to keep them rolling, and he always had the better ideas, the better sense of melody anyway. John is half there and half checked out on drugs or Yoko, but he did a lot more guitar work than I ever realized. Ringo cool as a cucumber, taking it all in, listening and watching everybody-- exactly what a drummer needs to be. George a bit insecure but somewhat understandable given where he is as a songwriter, how Paul has to be the dominating force to keep the guys focused, and how John is really just not giving a shit about much of anything, much less what George has to offer.

Glyn Johns is straight out of Austin Powers. I want to hang out with that cat.

Trying to make the most of my Showtime trial:

Dexter New Blood has been intriguing. I don't think the show has aged particularly well in general given the events of the past 10 years, but it still has a good level of mystery and speculation. I'd say this new season is better than every season after Trinity (season 4), and probably better than season 3. The first two episodes were not encouraging, but they got a lot of exposition out of the way quickly. I knew going in that it couldn't possibly be worse than the last few seasons, and the final one in particular. So far it has been pretty good and is set up to have a much better ending.

I also watched the first two episodes of Yellowjackets on Showtime last night. Again, it's another show with a lot of grit and intrigue, which kinda seems to be a theme with Showtime shows. The wife and I both enjoyed it and will continue to watch, despite rarely being in the market for new, hour long dramas given how many there are. I'd say the first episode gives you a pretty good idea of what's in store so far. Definitely a Lord of the Flies meets Lost sort of vibe.

Last edited:
Each episode of Yellowjackets has gotten progressively worse. I’m going to keep watching but yeah, hope it turns a corner here soon. The first episode was really good.

Nothing not to like about the documentary "14 Peaks." Tremendous footage and Nims is inspiring....

Back