• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Don't Look Up was super depressing because it's pretty on the nose

I thought Don't Look Up was really good, funny, and sad. A little too long for sure. But I enjoyed it all.

I never laughed during Don't Look Up. Finally turned it off 45 minutes in. I wanted to like it but I just didn't.

Don’t Look up is a weirdly polarizing film. Some people love it. Others really don’t like it. And I can’t figure out what each group has in common.

i mean do people really "love" it? i think even positive reviews think of it more as an important film, rather than something super entertaining, particularly enjoyable or rewatchable.

i think dont look up proves that satire is dead because you can watch that movie and it doesnt seem outrageous, hence it isnt funny. it is just depressing. i think it was well executed for exactly what it was intended to be.

I’ve seen a lot of people recommend it.

I never laughed during Don't Look Up. Finally turned it off 45 minutes in. I wanted to like it but I just didn't.

I thought it was OK. Really agree with the message, but it just never grabbed me. Though topless urgent care and will there be a Super Bowl were funny. Not Idiocracy funny, but funny.

I did rewatch of Lost with my wife about 5 years ago or so- she had never seen it. I really enjoyed watching it again and the ending was much more palatable the second time around when I wasn't expecting it to change the world.

I'm in the minority that really liked it up through Season 5, but I'm an easy sell when it comes to time travel. Hated what they did with the LA end of the story in Season 6.

I thought it was OK. Really agree with the message, but it just never grabbed me. Though topless urgent care and will there be a Super Bowl were funny. Not Idiocracy funny, but funny.

I agree it was just okay. It had some funny moments, but it felt forced at times.

Way too over the top but some of the performances were great and some funny moments

I’ve seen “Don’t Look Up” twice now and I give it 3 stars. I really enjoyed the premise and I think the performances by Leo, JLaw, and Jonah Hill were very good. I didn’t enjoy the editing, and I think the satire/farce elements were lazy, not because they weren’t accurate, but because they were focused on satirizing the Trump Presidency, which at this point is hack, and not only was the White House commentary tired, but the satirization of Trump voters was hack. It felt to me like that lame “Death to 2020”- Year in Review show, except with a sci-fi plot.

To summarize, watching “Don’t Look Up” felt a little bit like masturbating, it’s enjoyable while you do it, but you’re already very familiar with your own penis/vagina, so it’s not a revelatory experience that you learn from or take anything away from.

Last edited:
I’ve seen “Don’t Look Up” twice now and I give it 3 stars. I really enjoyed the premise and I think the performances by Leo, JLaw, and Jonah Hill were very good. I didn’t enjoy the editing, and I think the satire/farce elements were lazy, not because they weren’t accurate, but because they were focused on satirizing the Trump Presidency, which at this point is hack, and not only was the White House commentary tired, but the satirization of Trump voters was hack. It felt to me like that lame “Death to 2020”- Year in Review show, except with a sci-fi plot.

To summarize, watching “Don’t Look Up” felt a little bit like masturbating, it’s enjoyable while you do it, but you’re already very familiar with your own penis/vagina, so it’s not a revelatory experience that you learn from or take anything away from.

Your ogboads handle indicates a formidable understanding of your dong. I'll accept your movie review.

Your ogboads handle indicates a formidable understanding of your dong. I'll accept your movie review.

I suppose a different analogy might be eating fastfood. It’s comfortable and feels good in the moment, but it’s extremely transient. Good films and good meals you remember for years, even a lifetime, fastfood is forgettable before the fries get cold. I’ve seen a lot of reviews that compared Don’t Look Up to an extended Trump-era Saturday Night Live cold-opening political sketch, and I completely agree with that. It’s an uninspired one-note joke that lasts 2 hours.

Idiocracy was better, and Dr Strangelove is too good to even be compared.

Last edited:
Sounds kind of like the difference between political comedy getting applause vs. laughter.

Yeah, The Alpinist was good Free Solo, Alpinist, and 14 Peaks are all interesting looks into the types of personalities it takes to do that kind of thing. All those guys have a bit of a screw loose that makes them do it, but all seem connected to something greater than themselves, even though it comes with personal accolades, etc...

Also good is Summit of the Gods on Netflix.

I liked don’t look up but damn it was depressing because their was nothing in it that wasn’t spot on .

Back