• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

I have a buddy who is a chef that got burned out from the lifestyle. He has been teaching cooking classes for the last few years. He said The Bear has made him miss being in a real kitchen enough to start looking to go back to restaurant life.

lol oh my god. Watching that show I have remarked so many times “how the fuck do restaurants even exist” that shit looks miserable

I defs get how it could appeal to a certain personality type

schedule is brutal though for a lot of restaurants

Bourdain has a great description of the characters that are drawn to kitchen life in Kitchen Confidential

Bourdain has a great description of the characters that are drawn to kitchen life in Kitchen Confidential

that's basically my brother-in-law. he went to culinary school at Johnson & Wales in Charlotte but I don't think ever got his degree, but has cooked in a lot of kitchens. it's a brutal life. he also doesn't really have the ability to do some of the people management or budgeting/inventory skills required as you move up the chain, so he recently got out of the industry since he figured it'd be hard to move up from line cook. and he's struggled to find footing outside the kitchen.

So it begs the question (probably not for this thread), how has humanity taken the process of preparing food and eating it into such a pain in the ass? Every other species of animal and plants do it and few make it so difficult for so many.

I’ve read a lot about Severance being excellent so I gave it a shot. I’m five episodes in and that show is boring as shit. I’m bailing on it . Am I wrong?

Ok, need a new binge show, should I go with:

Lost (watched 3.5 seasons)
Friday Night Lights (watched three seasons)
Americans (never watched an episode)

Winner goes to the most convincing argument in the next 24 hours.

Keep Sweet - Pray and Obey was entertaining & horrifying. I had read a good amount about the FLDS church, but didn't realize how far/bad things went and how recent. Should be a must-watch for YB in his new home.

I loved the Americans. Bailed on FNL after the beginning of season 2 and haven't looked back. Season 5 of Lost is my favorite, but I might be in the minority and am an easy sell with that kind of storyline.

Americans is the best/most consistent of those three, followed by LOST, followed by FNL.

FNL season 1 and LOST both hit really high highs, but also suffer from some really terrible writing at points. I like LOST and think it's worth going through, but that's a lot of hour long eps for limited payoff. FNL is an amazing season 1, and then got murdered by the writer's strike. Americans is a slow burn with some amazing peaks.

I always recommend The Leftovers for ppl who were left wanting more from LOST but were intrigued. It's Damon Lindelof on HBO.

all 3 of those shows were excellent and you can't go wrong with any of them. But I am surprised that you bailed on Lost after 3 seasons- that show was cooking at that point.

Americans is the best/most consistent of those three, followed by LOST, followed by FNL.

FNL season 1 and LOST both hit really high highs, but also suffer from some really terrible writing at points. I like LOST and think it's worth going through, but that's a lot of hour long eps for limited payoff. FNL is an amazing season 1, and then got murdered by the writer's strike. Americans is a slow burn with some amazing peaks.

I always recommend The Leftovers for ppl who were left wanting more from LOST but were intrigued. It's Damon Lindelof on HBO.

Maybe there's more payoff without having to wait week to week. Much of the discontent is from the last season payoff not living up to years of buildup. I'd have a tough time gearing up to watch 121 episodes though.

it's fucking JJ Abrams. That guy's output is middling to bad in the long run. Why you would want to recommend someone else watch that "puzzle-box with no resolution" bullshit is beyond me. It was produced just to get you to watch the next episode. might as well be the procedurally generated missions of TV shows

Back