• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Just gonna re-plug Black Mirror for those who may have missed it or skipped it before. So freakin'; good, you guys.

Ex machina is on amazon streaming. Just watched it for the first time, good stuff.

I don't whether it's something I've only just noticed, or if Amazon Prime has been stepping up their movie streaming game. I too just watch Ex Machina there, Chiraq as well. Both are great flicks.

I'm only 2 episodes in (out of 8) but I have to laud "Stranger Things." Maybe it resonates with me more than it would for many of you, but I love how it fuses the look and feel and many disparate 80s movies. Some scenes evoke Wes Craven and Stephen King, other scenes bring back Steven Spielberg and John Hughes. Still, it all coalesces nicely so these different tones, like a monster on the prowl, comes naturally with kids trying to hide a specially powered somebody in their closet.

The music is a plus too, both the period appropriate tunes (similar to "The Americans") and the original score.

Hopefully the last 6 episodes don't let me down, but so far, I've been impressed enough to want to spread the word.

I'm through six, really enjoy the show. A few clunker dialogue scenes here and there but whatever.

Amazon prime is great for commuters. Can watch a season in a week between commuting and the gym. Lets you download and watch offline.

agree about prime. love the download capability to watch offline. the only thing i really don't like is their fast forward mechanism. it is terrible. can't really tell where you are. netflix is so much more elegant that way.

it was mentioned before but just watched s 2 of catastrophe. very funny.

The problem with there being a new Netflix series seemingly every week (and really TV in general) is that I find myself watching an episode or two, but just sort of dropping it. Watched the first seasons of Bojack and Kimmy Schmidt, then a couple of eps of Season 2 of both shows before falling off. Recently watched 3 eps of Lady Dynamite and quit that. On traditional TV, recently did it with Preacher and Last Panthers. I liked, but didn't love, all those shows, but there's just too much shit on and I have to be really engaged to keep up with a particular show.

That's a good take. I tend to stick with shows so I end up way behind or never checking out well regarded shows. Every summer I tell myself I'm going to start watching The Americans but I never get to it before the Fall seasons start.

This is a tough stretch right here as well. Two conventions and the Olympics within a 5 week period. It takes up my catch up time at night.

Last edited:
I agree it's certainly difficult to keep up with everything I want to watch so cuts have to be made somewhere. The 10-13 one hour episode model is tough. I wish some of these things would be more in the British model of 6 episodes at most.

Bojack will jump what I'm watching now (newest season of OITNB) right when it comes out the same way Stranger Things did.

Bojack will jump what I'm watching now (newest season of OITNB) right when it comes out the same way Stranger Things did.

Agreed. I'll start watching it tomorrow night. It's much easier to shotgun through 22-25 minute sitcoms.

The problem with there being a new Netflix series seemingly every week (and really TV in general) is that I find myself watching an episode or two, but just sort of dropping it. Watched the first seasons of Bojack and Kimmy Schmidt, then a couple of eps of Season 2 of both shows before falling off. Recently watched 3 eps of Lady Dynamite and quit that. On traditional TV, recently did it with Preacher and Last Panthers. I liked, but didn't love, all those shows, but there's just too much shit on and I have to be really engaged to keep up with a particular show.

That's a good take. I tend to stick with shows so I end up way behind or never checking out well regarded shows. Every summer I tell myself I'm going to start watching The Americans but I never get to it before the Fall seasons start.

This is a tough stretch right here as well. Two conventions and the Olympics within a 5 week period. It takes up my catch up time at night.

Yea it takes something really good with some momentum behind it to keep me engaged.

Yeah bc they all are super mediocre. They give out tons of $$ and are basically hands off. They just want content since lots of their licensing agreements are not being renewed or getting too expensive.

If you give someone a bunch of $$ and not much direction, most people will just fuck off and turn out a avg product. The process was excatly what the Stranger Things guys needed though. Had they tried to make that a cable show or a movie, the notes would have killed the spirit. They knocked it out of the park tho.

Srsly cannot reccommend Stranger Things enough.

Stranger Things only having 8 episodes instead of 12 or 13 definitely makes it more appealing. I'd like to check that out next (although starting it means I have officially dropped Lady Dynamite).

i'm midway thru stranger things but the science fiction stuff has me worried

Back