• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

I agree 100% about Barb. Question about her in spoiler tag.

Was she assimilated into the monster goo? It seems like someone's face got focused onto but I couldn't make out who it was. I'm guessing it was her.

I'm through episode 7, best season yet to me. Episode 4 lived up to the hype I'd seen.

yeah. I really dug ep 7. one of the funnier ones in the series I think.

I didn't think ep 4 was that funny, but it was more lost in translation than lost in translation. phenomenal episode right there

it's still sort of shocking to me that the series is capable of gut punching the way it does

I just finished Ep 9, which is titled "Best Thing That Ever Happened"... I was pretty excited for something good and happy to happen finally, and then lol nah this is bojack horseman, everything is the fucking worst

So I realize that no one is talking about Kimmy Schmidt anymore, but I fucking love Titus Andromedon. He's one of my favorite comedic characters ever.

Just watched Bojack ep 4. It was good. And the gag at the end was fantastic. It wasn't as good as hyped. I realized I forgot everything that happened between Bojack and the other character.

I agree 100% about Barb. Question about her in spoiler tag.

Was she assimilated into the monster goo? It seems like someone's face got focused onto but I couldn't make out who it was. I'm guessing it was her.

sub-buzz-4874-1469437029-7.jpg

Re Stranger Things, one of my buddies said this about it: "It's absolutely the most derivative show I’ve ever seen. Oh, that scene is pulled directly from Jaws. That one from ET. That monster from___, that scene from Stand By Me, X-files, Super 8, Close Encounters, Goonies, etc. There’s absolutely nothing new, for me, in the show. That said, it was totally fun and I’ll defs watch season 2."

He and I have a tv/movie rivalry in which we absolutely disagree about everything. So is he right about this? He's hating on it and saying he'll keep watching, which confuses me.

The underwater Bojack was a great testament to animated storytelling. Easily my favorite episode of that series and even brought back memories of old WB cartoons from Chuck Jones. There is no higher praise than that.

Re Stranger Things, one of my buddies said this about it: "It's absolutely the most derivative show I’ve ever seen. Oh, that scene is pulled directly from Jaws. That one from ET. That monster from___, that scene from Stand By Me, X-files, Super 8, Close Encounters, Goonies, etc. There’s absolutely nothing new, for me, in the show. That said, it was totally fun and I’ll defs watch season 2."

He and I have a tv/movie rivalry in which we absolutely disagree about everything. So is he right about this? He's hating on it and saying he'll keep watching, which confuses me.

your buddy sounds like a barrel of fun

just finished Stranger Things. Loved it. I think the name of the show was the only not great thing about it. I guess it was going to be called Montauk and set in the oceanfront town during offseason but do to budget restraints they had to make it anytown USA. Also Greenwald (I think) made the good point that it seemed like after episode 3, everything could have been the imagination of a grieving parent (he knows it wasnt, just on a different show it could have been)

Here are the homage scenes side by side
http://www.shortlist.com/home/here-...ight-have-missed-in-netflix-s-stranger-things

One person's homage is another person's derivative, I guess. They're making an 80's movie.

i think that gives the pretentious guy a pass. Using homage is a specific artistic choice. Reducing it to 'derivative' means you think the artist was lazy and used framing devices simply because they couldn't come up with their own.

If you want to argue that's kind of a cheap nostalgia-grab, that's defensible. But no one dismisses Raiders of the Lost Ark or Star Wars as "derivative".

finished stranger things last night as well. wife and i enjoyed it very much.

Back