• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Stranger Things 3 was great. Music was on point, 80s references were great, storyline built up nicely, by the end of the season I was mad it was only 8 episodes and I have to wait god knows how long for season 4.

It’s a big step up from S2, imo.

:thumbsup:

Finished it over the weekend. It was a little slow to get going imo, but great season in the end.

Watched Into The Spiderverse. Had heard good things, obviously, but good reviews don’t mean much anymore with the bar significantly lowered and I don’t really care for Spider-Man. That said, it was very good: Inventive animation and just an enjoyable film with a positive message. Funny too.

:thumbsup:

Finished it over the weekend. It was a little slow to get going imo, but great season in the end.

I'm about 4 episodes in and just wish they could throw in a few more product placements (sarcasm).
Also there was once a drinking game called "hi bob" where you watched the Bob Newhart show and drank each time they said Hi Bob. I can only imagine how drunk you would get if you drank every time they said "hey, guys" on Stranger Things.

Stranger Things was a nice romp. You could definitely see the bigger budget they were given, and more CGI. Just think that Season 1 was about a distraught mother who thought her dead son was communicating with her through Christmas lights.

There are several story lines that converge, and different members of the Byers family on each. If they only came home for dinner together just once, the story lines would converge earlier over dinner conversation.

The 80's music was just ok this time, a little too Top 40 for my tastes. Loved Billy's entrance with The Cars Moving in Stereo a la Phoebe Cates in Fast Times.

There was a Jordan Lake easter egg for the Durham-ites that I caught. Any others?

they redeemed it a bit in the end, but asshole Hopper for 7.5 episodes was not compelling television

Aziz Ansari's new special shows a whole new side of him. This wasn't a frenetic monologue about video games and hip-hop. He veers into Minaj and Kondabolu territory about race relations and current events. And of course, his own recent troubles. Good stuff, I'll give it a rewatch.

Aziz Ansari's new special shows a whole new side of him. This wasn't a frenetic monologue about video games and hip-hop. He veers into Minaj and Kondabolu territory about race relations and current events. And of course, his own recent troubles. Good stuff, I'll give it a rewatch.

Second this rec. it was still funny as hell, but super personal and insightful. Dude’s evolution is amazing . The bit on white people out-woking one another was great.

I'm only 3 episodes in, but yeah my biggest criticism is that they have made Hopper an annoying dick.

This is about where I am too. I hate every Hopper/Joyce interaction. The teen drama is just kind of meh.

I though S3 ended up being pretty entertaining but still didn't touch the level of S1.

My two criticisms of S2 and S3:

- Expanding roles for new characters takes away time from core group. At the end of S1 you have Mike, Will, Dustin, Lucas, Eleven, Nancy, Jonathan, Steve, Hopper, Joyce - that's already a good size group. They added Max and Billy in S2 and grew their roles in S3, and they added Robin and Erica in S3. I'd definitely trade in some of the Max/Erica screen time in S3. I get why they needed to introduce Robin - nobody wants to see Steve go but once he has no relationship to Nancy, they had to find ways to tie him in so it isn't just him playing with kids 5 years younger than him.

- Generally not very creative in how they're expanding the encounters with the Upside Down and its villains. "What are the Russians doing" in S3 doesn't feel that different from "Whats going on in the Hawkins lab" in S1, and battling the Mind Flayer in S3 doesn't feel that different from battling the demogorgons in S1. Just doesn't feel like they're doing as much as they could to develop their world.

S3 was very good. In some ways it was better than S1. There are countless call backs to other 80s films. Too numerous to list. That horrible Cory Hart album, which I inexplicably still have after nearly 35 years, has gotten as much play the last week as it has since 1985. The best thing about this season and most 80s thing about it perhaps is that they made Winona bangable again like she was in Beetlejuice and Heathers and into the 90s. So many ridiculous lapses in logic outside of the ridiculous plot line too, which are consistent with 80s flicks. Don’t know why people are complaining about Hopper. His character has always been kind of like that. It didn’t seem like a stretch to me.

I liked this special too. Hasan Minaj is such a fucking hack. Aziz owns him.

Is anyone watching Euphoria? It is so fucking disturbing in the best way. Like it is soooo far out there from anything else that has ever been on TV. Sort of like Fast Times FF 40 years and its now on steriods and fentanyl at the same time.

So many great performances, McSteamy from Grey's Anatomy comes out of nowhere with the most fucked up role/character of the decade.

The first ep seems a little corny/replayed highschool tropes but when you get to the end of ep 1 you see they arent fucking around and it gets better/more fucked up from there. When you make it to ep 4/the carnival you realize this is next level shit.

This is the show of the year by a mile.

Money Heist/La Casa De Papel just dropped Season 3 today. The first two seasons were really good, however Ms. I/O just started watching it with me so looks like I have to wait a while to watch now.

Back