• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

The fact that he looks like Rex Ryan keeps throwing me off. When I think "mind hunter" Rex Ryan should be the last thing that comes to mind.

25-holt-mccallany-chatroom-silo.w245.h368.png
image_resize.cgi

Last edited:
I'm 6 eps in and it's kinda meh. The old partner detective's acting and lines annoys me. He gets the synposis of the serial killer's story while walking into the prison to talk with the guy, then all of a sudden he is an expert during the interview? Really?

He is a profiler, though, right? He is skeptical of the young gun’s theories and methods, but he understands them and possesses a similar framework through his work at the bureau.

i'm pretty sure that at that time, there is no such job as a profiler. These guys are essentially inventing the job with the work they are doing. Agent Tench is skeptical of his younger partner but he is already heading up the behavioral science unit of the FBI so he is definitely way more ahead of the curve than most other FBI/law enforcement types of that time.

Agent Tench is based on several guys at the FBI but Colton is most definitely based on John Douglass (who was also the basis for Agent Jack Crawford in silence of the lambs.) Douglass has written a bunch of books as well and Mindhunter is kind of a historical fiction version of those books.

Last edited:
Yes they are nailing the historical part and especially the bureau culture involved,to the T. Whoever is advising on that part knows their shit

i'm pretty sure that at that time, there is no such job as a profiler. These guys are essentially inventing the job with the work they are doing. Agent Tench is skeptical of his younger partner but he is already heading up the behavioral science unit of the FBI so he is definitely way more ahead of the curve than most other FBI/law enforcement types of that time.

Agent Tench is based on several guys at the FBI but Colton is most definitely based on John Douglass (who was also the basis for Agent Jack Crawford in silence of the lambs.) Douglass has written a bunch of books as well and Mindhunter is kind of a historical fiction version of those books.

all of this.

I read Douglass' Mind Hunter when I was a senior in high school and entered Wake wanting to do behavioral science with the FBI, it was still a pretty new concept in the 90s (before the profiler/forensic psychologist procedural TV shows exploded). Was really turned off after I interviewed someone who had that job and they basically said their job was 80% sitting in a basement office with bad lighting staring at crime scenes and it really affected their view of the world.

Just started Mind Hunter. Like it so far, but two small complaints: where was the sound editor? Background noise turned up, lead voices turned down. A big mess almost every scene.

Why do they yell the locations at us?
CHARLOTTESVILLE
VIRGINIA

Just started Mind Hunter. Like it so far, but two small complaints: where was the sound editor? Background noise turned up, lead voices turned down. A big mess almost every scene.

I have not had this issue at all. They only time it seemed like an issue was in the first episode when he meets Debbie at the bar, but they (wisely) used subtitles there.

And I'm a guy who often has problems hearing dialogue during TV shows... I'd love to turn the TV up extra loud to "movie theater" levels, but my wife always gives me a hard time about that given our sleeping children. Whatever.

Finally started The Good Place.

It's pretty much my new favorite show.

Started watching "This Is Us." :couch:

Not sure if it revokes my man card or not, but I like it. The first 3 or 4 episodes are really well done, and while the drama is naturally a little over the top in the middle, the acting is top notch, the story telling is solid if corny at times, and the feels are real. I was frustrated watching the Emmy's last year and having this network show I knew nothing about hog all the nominations (and a few victories) but after watching the first season, I understand why. I also think the first episode does a good job of setting the pace and tone; so if you like the pilot, you'll probably like the show.

Last edited:
Dug Mindhunter a lot (best show of the year for me?), now on to UNABOMBER. Sam Worthington is not good, but the rest of the peeps seem chill so far, just a couple eps in.

5 episodes (of 7) into godless. Western with Jeff Daniels as the bad guy. Pretty good.

I really liked Mindhunter. Currently watching Ozark. Bleak as hell - not really sure that I like it but have watched 7 eps so will at least finish the season

Was going to watch this over Christmas. Recommended?

I enjoyed it up until about 5, and I have stalled there. Cinematography is gorgeous, and it is based around Creede which I dig. Daniels is great, but some of the story lines are drag. Maybe the ending will redeem it, but I cannot say for sure having not finished it yet. However, I would say give it a go if you dig westerns.

Definitely recommend if you like westerns. However, I still have 2 episodes left. Not stalled like DD. Just have not had the chance to finish.

Back