• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

The Comanche dub is just that, a dub over English/Comanche spoken lines. It's not better, I found the out of sync result distracting and do not recommend that setting. I can't imagine why someone would say it's better.

Had never heard of this, but just discovered Michael Dorman in For All Mankind (where he's great) and recently binged Patriot, which was also fun, so will have to give this a shot. Looks like the lead female role in Pickett is played by Winston native Julianna Guill.

Started Patriot today and it is so damn good. The monologues about piping crack me the hell up

For all mankind season finale was a lot

Yes it was. I turned to my wife a bit more than halfway through and said, "I don't know how they're going to resolve all this shit in the next 30 min." Honestly, it felt kind of cheap. I know that they're creating alternative events that mirror real-life events and happen at around the same time, but it felt like a reach, like there was no real predicate to justify the climactic event at the end.

I started watching the new episodes of Beavis & Butthead on Paramount+ and it is very stupid and very entertaining

The rehearsal is the strangest show I have ever watched and enjoyed.

Netflix Documentary on Woodstock 99 was good, but I think the HBO documentary Peace Love and Rage was better

txws04auguh91.png

Seems like an unhelpful comparison to make to the other services on the chart: "Disney" is the combined subscribers of Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN

Like how does it compare to Amazon Prime or HBO?

Above chart and those figures have some double counting due to "the bundle" of Disney+, Hulu, & ESPN+... So not really "apples to apples", but still interesting.

NFLX is also profitable in streaming right now... DIS is not.

And DIS is also about to have some serious churn due to:
1- Raising prices (starting in Dec)
2- Not bidding on ICL in India

I'm also not sure about the Apple and Amazon numbers. I don't think Apple really gives out that info and Amazon, I think, includes some non-activated accounts.

WBD (HBO Max) recently lowered their sub numbers because they had been including some AT&T subs that had access to HBO Max, but never activated it. They removed those folks from the count.

Netflix: Our numbers are down, so we're going to raise prices and start an ad-tier.
Disney+: Our numbers are up, so we're going to raise prices and start an ad-tier.

Netflix: Our numbers are down, so we're going to raise prices and start an ad-tier.
Disney+: Our numbers are up, so we're going to raise prices and start an ad-tier.

Funny. But, as I am sure you know, it is more complicated than that. All of these stocks have seen the valuation of their streaming businesses plummet over the last year or so.

NFLX is actually profitable, but sub growth is pretty much in the rear view... Hence the shift to an ad tier. Lower cost to bring in subs (and advertising revenue).

DIS is losing money and needs to be profitable. People had expected their ad-tier to come out below the existing $7.99 price point (in an attempt to expand the TAM)... Instead, they made the ad-tier $7.99 and jacked up Disney+ to $10.99. They won't add many subs, but will hopefully make strides in profitability. Key question is how bad the churn will be with the higher prices. Over the next few years, they probably have more room to take price. Separately, Disney has issues with their low cost service in India being WAY too cheap... No idea what they do there. Makes their sub numbers look better than they really are.

WBD results and new management's plan planted a flag about slashing costs and trying to actually make money... De-emphasizing streaming, which is a very risky move given the genie is out of the bottle.

Apple & Amazon are the wild cards in that they don't really need to make streaming profitable (at least not in the near-term). So little of their valuation is based upon that part of the business.

do you know if all those companies are negative cash flow models?

In the most recent Q:

DIS lost over $1B in operating income on a negative 21% operating margin in their DTC biz. FCF tougher to get at with them because they obviously have a number of different segments and the accounting is difficult.
WBD plans for their streaming biz to be break-even in 2024, with cash flow of $1B in 2025... But that had been like $2B before they cut their outlook recently. And they will need a lot to go in their favor to hit break even in '24.
Paramount says peak losses for their D2C biz will be in 2023. Looks to me like they lost about $455M at a margin of negative 38% this Q.

None of those are pure play streaming models... But that part of their business is most definitely cash flow negative. We don't get that level of detail from Apple or Amazon, but it is a guarantee that it looks even worse for them (especially if/when Apple "wins" the NFL Sunday Ticket bidding war).

NFLX is more transparent... Made $103M from operations, but if you take out capex and some other stuff (and throw in FX, which was a huge headwind this Q), they were negative. I think our model has the official number at 3 cents/share (positive) for the Q. And that should be way higher in 3Q. They also made $3.20/share in Adj EPS.

Note on DIS... 58M of their subscriber number is Disney+Hotstar (India), which costs either 499, 899 or 1499 rupees/year... That's basically: $6, $11, or $18.50 PER YEAR. That is a problem.

I didn't realize that many of their subscribers are Hotstar. Yeah, that's a big issue.

Ha yeah in that chart for total subscribers I count as 4 people in the "Disney" category but only as 1 Netflix subscriber. We have Disney+, ESPN, Hulu, and a 2nd Hulu that was tagged for free with some service or whatever but is a shittier tier.

People are really excited for Netflix to tank, not really sure why.

Back