• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

took me three episodes to realize the murder detective was Marlo in We Own This City

The new Beavis & Butthead is on Paramount+. It should win an Oscar.

OK, not really, but I had middle to low expectations and it definitely exceeded them. It doesn't exactly break new ground, but the introduction of "smart Beavis and smart Butthead" was great, as was a brief part about their white privilege. I thought it actually got better as it went along. Only like 85 minutes or something, so not that much of a time suck. It was absolutely better than the first movie, which isn't really saying a whole lot.

aww man, Do America is a stone cold classic. The new movie is pretty good, too.

watched a few shows this weekend. The Old Man on FX and The Bear on Hulu. like both. Jeff Bridges can do no wrong

watched a few shows this weekend. The Old Man on FX and The Bear on Hulu. like both. Jeff Bridges can do no wrong

I’ve only seen the first 2 episodes, but I’ve really enjoyed The Bear. Originally dropped on FX, but can also be seen on Hulu. The whole first season is apparently only four, thirty minute episodes, so easy to knockout.

I’ve only seen the first 2 episodes, but I’ve really enjoyed The Bear. Originally dropped on FX, but can also be seen on Hulu. The whole first season is apparently only four, thirty minute episodes, so easy to knockout.

I think it is 8 episodes.

The Bear is getting buzz around here as its set in Chicago but kinda butchering some of the geography along the way -- trying hard to be very Chicago but missing in some unnecessary ways

Chicago show I'm digging right now is the comedy South Side on HBO

A Very English Scandal on Amazon was quite good. Hugh Grant was excellent. Not to be confused with A Very British Scandal, which was just ok.

it is 8 but you can knock them out very quick. geography is definitely not the shows strong point

If Chicago wasn't in the restaurant's name, I would have just assumed it was like 1990's NYC. It all seems exactly how Anthony Bourdain used to write about the NYC culinary scene, but with way less sex and drugs...so far.

Slow Horses on AppleTV was good. Gary Oldman as a Smiley-esque spy chief kind of put out to pasture. Kristin Scott Thomas excellent as his supervisor/spy colleague adversary.

Also have dug the first three eps of The Old Man.

took me three episodes to realize the murder detective was Marlo in We Own This City

The beard kind of hides the scar. What confused me was characters/actors from the wire, with the same producers, but a different universe. For example, in the first episode, I thought Poot had grown up to become a cop.

the glasses too

the more different their role, the more jarring the appearance: Poot and Marlo a bigger jump than Landsman or Herc

Thought Cha Cha Real Smooth on Apple was pretty good. Some of the dialogue didn’t feel natural, which isn’t crazy when there is an autistic character, but overall it was better than I thought it would be.

There's just way too much content these days. No way I can keep up with all these recs. Back in the day you had thursday night TV and maybe Sunday night TV and that was it

I actually have a spreadsheet/notepad that I write down all recommendations that I think I'll like, or when I see trailers or articles about upcoming shows or movies that I think I'll like. It's up to 3+ pages on a notepad that I keep beside my recliner, and I include the streaming network and stuff along with it so I know exactly where to watch. It really helps, especially like 2 years later when I can't remember the name of that one show that someone said I'd really love.

I was dreading starting Stranger Things back up after what I thought was a lackluster 2nd and 3rd seasons. Maybe it was the time off, but I enjoyed this one as much as any since the first. Apparently it's only the first 7 of 9 episodes, which irritated me initially, but they left it at the perfect spot for maximum build up.

I was so excited for Stranger Things 4, and it has not disappointed. For some reason I thought I read that Season 4 was the final season, but they renewed it for Season 5 which WILL be the final season.

And for those that don't know, the reason networks split series up into 2 parts for a season (which seems dumb to do Stranger Things 4: Volume 1 on May 27th and Volume 2 on July 1st), but it's so that the first part can be counted for this year's Emmys/Golden Globes, and the cutoff is June 30th...so now Volume 2 can be counted as Limited Series/TV Show for next year's awards. Clever, but annoying, especially putting two parts so close together like with ST4.

But as far as ST4, I've found it to be much better when they lean hard on the body horror, but also attach the story to reality (aka the MKUltra tests/experiments and stuff) rather than just supernatural.

I was very proud of myself for making a couple of connections/figuring out a couple of twists earlier on in the season. I'm really excited to see Volume 2 (or Part 2, whatever they're calling it).

I saw a hilarious YouTube video that I'll put in Spoiler Tags of Gaten Matarazzo basically ruining the end of Part 1 of Season 4 all the way back when the show started in 2016...He definitely didn't get the media coaching that the Marvel actors do.

Back