• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

A sitcom on NBC by the creator of The Office, Parks and Rec, and Brooklyn Nine Nine. The first season is on Netflix.

The best part of the Super Bowl was seeing "Oh hey, there's a new Cloverfield on Netflix after the game, fyi." I furiously hit refresh during the last minute and once the clock hit 0:00, there the "play" button was, as promised. So I expect I'm one of the first hundred or so people to watch "The Cloverfield Paradox" since I started immediately. I've been jonesing for a good sci fi movie, real sci-fi that is, and this was it. I'll definitely need some time to process what I saw and how this world all fits together with the prior 2 movies.

I watched it for 15 minutes and thought it sucked. But I was tired and a little cloudy from having a few drinks during the football game. Will give it another shot soon.

Agree that it was a cool idea from the good folks at Netflix. A nice alternative to "This Is Us."

Dang, it's sitting on a 15% RT score now. I stand by my assessment of "Pretty good sci fi if you're really hankering for something in the genre." Certainly Cloverfield completists will have to watch it.

Word is #4 has finished filming. That's a WW2 movie.

A documentary that originally aired on PBS, Command and Control, about the 1980 Titan II Missile accident in Arkansas is on Netflix. It's pretty good, and the topic matter is fascinating and timely.

It's remarkable that we haven't accidentally killed millions of people with our own nukes.

I'd watch the hell out of a documentary on nuclear near misses in the US. I don't know of an extensive list, but there was a nuclear equipped B-52 crash near Goldsboro in 1961, for another.

I'd watch the hell out of a documentary on nuclear near misses in the US. I don't know of an extensive list, but there was a nuclear equipped B-52 crash near Goldsboro in 1961, for another.

This is discussed briefly in Command and Control, along with several other near misses.

I haven't done any research, but there has to be something good on the Palomares B-52 crash or the Goldsboro one.

Cloverfield was solid... really enjoyed it

CLOVERFIELD SPOILERS !!!

So i really enjoyed it. I also like the fact that all three movies are stand alone movies. But this latest one confuses me a bit. The first movie shows no time stamp but it seems to be NOT in the future. The 2nd movie also does not show anything related to the year but "could" be in the future. The latest movie takes place in the future but due to the a mishap they release the monsters onto earth. So why does the mishap make the monsters appear but in the first move they "land" on earth after no such mishap?
Or are these a new monsters altogether?

CLOVERFIELD SPOILERS !!!

So i really enjoyed it. I also like the fact that all three movies are stand alone movies. But this latest one confuses me a bit. The first movie shows no time stamp but it seems to be NOT in the future. The 2nd movie also does not show anything related to the year but "could" be in the future. The latest movie takes place in the future but due to the a mishap they release the monsters onto earth. So why does the mishap make the monsters appear but in the first move they "land" on earth after no such mishap?
Or are these a new monsters altogether?

I think the answer lies in the title of the latest entry.

I read recently that both of the last 2 Cloverfields were originally intended to not be part of this universe, but rather added in during the filming. That's why 10 Cloverfield Lane feels like 2 distinctly different movies and the Earth scenes in Paradox feel a bit out of place as well.

Altered Carbon is excellent. Never binge shows, but had a couple of long flights and got through all but the finale. Great effects, action, storyline, and world-building. Limitless possibilities. Lots of boobs. I think it puts most of the Marvel tv stuff to shame.

Altered Carbon is excellent. Never binge shows, but had a couple of long flights and got through all but the finale. Great effects, action, storyline, and world-building. Limitless possibilities. Lots of boobs. I think it puts most of the Marvel tv stuff to shame.

yeah, i really enjoyed it as well. dragged slightly when it would get a little self indulgent in a few spots but pretty cool world

Has anyone (looking at you ITC) watched Star Trek Discovery?

I was going to do a free trial of the CBS service, binge the first season, and then cancel. Good idea or no?

First three eps of Babylon Berlin were sufficiently weird and cool enough to keep me going back.

Has anyone (looking at you ITC) watched Star Trek Discovery?

I was going to do a free trial of the CBS service, binge the first season, and then cancel. Good idea or no?

i have not yet seen it; my good buddy says it sucks. The general consensus is "meh"

Maybe the average for STD is "meh" but it's very polarizing and most discussions seem to be "This isn't my Star Trek, I hate it" or "This is a bold new direction for the series and I love it". I rarely see someone say "it's a'ight."

I actually think the bellwether indicating whether someone would like STD or not is "The Last Jedi". That movie drew a lot of flak for not adhering to traditional SW tropes and the same can be said for this tv series. If you think it's not Star Trek unless there's a captain speechifying about how the Federation always adheres to its principles, this ain't for you. I could go on, but the most angry complains boil down to "this isn't the Trek I know."

Fwiw, I like it, a lot. This after I started off hating it based on the marketing before the premiere. I'll even say this is the best first season for anything Star Trek since TOS.

First couple of episodes of the docu-series Dirty Money are decent. First is about the Volkswagen emissions scandal and the second is Scott Tucker and his predatory lending business

Back