• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Drive to Survive season 3 releases on Friday. The first two seasons have been very good, but this season has the added bonus of showing how to attempt an international sporting league during a pandemic. They have gotten good access to most of the teams in the past, so I'm definitely looking forward to this season.

My wife did not share my excitement when I told her it comes out this week.

I'm many years behind, but started Show Me a Hero -- David Simon's HBO miniseries on Yonkers in the 80s starring Oscar Isaac

interesting stuff, but man, they are flying through the exposition in this miniseries format

Watching "For all mankind" on Apple plus and loving it...alternate history space race between superpowers. Kind of A fictional and amped up "The Right stuff"

We recently watched the miniseries Unorthodox after listening to a Fresh Air interview with the author of the book upon which the movie is based.

Pretty fascinating, lots to delve into if you want to.

Things I recently watched and enjoyed:

Always be my maybe - Ali Wong
Killing them Softly - Brad Pitt
I Care A Lot - Rosamund Pike (I really liked the story line and where it was going until the very end; really soured the rest of the movie for me)

watched i care a lot last night and really enjoyed it

got strong this weekend and watched LOL: Australia with the wife. hosted by rebel wilson (she did not add anything). they put a bunch of Australian comedians in a room for 6 hours. goal was to make others laugh but not laugh yourself. smile/laugh whatever and you get kicked out. your mileage may vary but at 30min 6 eps there was some really good stuff. if the first ep isn't your thing it probably won't pick up for you.

We watched The Trial of the Chicago Seven this weekend and could not recommend it more. Thought it was excellent.

We started One Night in Miami last night and (so far) it’s a big drop off.

This Hemingway documentary on PBS is absolute gold. Really, really good.

Also enjoying this a lot. I am not even a big Hemingway fan, but I recently read a book on the making of The Sun Also Rises and I am going to the Dry Tortugas soon, so it is timely for me.

Also enjoying this a lot. I am not even a big Hemingway fan, but I recently read a book on the making of The Sun Also Rises and I am going to the Dry Tortugas soon, so it is timely for me.

I like Sun Also Rises a lot, but couldn't get into Farewell to Arms. These authors make it sound like the best thing ever written, so I guess I'll give it another shot.

I have an inexplicable bias against short stories, but Hemingway has been an exception. Francis Macomber is one of my favorite reads ever.

We’re now watching The Crown.

Still in the first season. We’re enjoying it, also enjoying reading a bit after each episode and learning something of the referenced/depicted history.

I like Sun Also Rises a lot, but couldn't get into Farewell to Arms. These authors make it sound like the best thing ever written, so I guess I'll give it another shot.

I have an inexplicable bias against short stories, but Hemingway has been an exception. Francis Macomber is one of my favorite reads ever.

I have not read a lot of short stories as an adult. I remember loving Ray Bradbury's short stories when I was young so I read some of those to my kids and I still thought they were great. The Snows of Kilimanjaro is the only Hemingway short story I know I have read. I have a collection of his short stories on hold at the library because I wanted to read the one based on him getting stranded in the Dry Tortugas. I see that it has Francis Macomber as the penultimate story. I plan to read all of them, but if I change my mind I will be sure to check that one out anyway.

I'm a Costner fan and bought the Peacock from this thread. watching the 4th episode now, but this show fucking delivers.

+1

A Farewell To Arms is my favorite book ever. Not that i'm a literary critic or anything but it SLAPS

We’re now watching The Crown.

Still in the first season. We’re enjoying it, also enjoying reading a bit after each episode and learning something of the referenced/depicted history.

We started and stopped The Crown several times before finally getting into it. S1 and S2 are OK, but S3 and S4 get really good. It just takes some time to do the necessary character setup and development before the payoff.

The LITERARY CRITICS on my email are pretty pissed that the documentary left out so much cool shit

I loved his documentaries on country music and the national parks, but I remember similar criticisms of those. Can you believe Billy Joe Shaver was never mentioned? Yosemite is great, but that was overkill.

Fair criticisms, but I enjoyed all of them.

Back