• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Don’t understand Townies taek on Boys S3. The writers couldn’t keep teasing out Homelanders sociopath turn any longer, and it’s been satisfying seeing Will and Butcher both hypocritically give into their own insecurities and “cheat” by taking the temp V. I think it added some necessary nuance to the show, instead of continuing on with the black and white distinction between supes and civilians.

Last edited:
I have only seen the first three eps but I will stick with

S3 of The Boys sucks, sad

First two seasons were excellent

Is Homelander as Trump too on the nose for you? Along with #SupeLivesMatter and the Fake News Media shoutouts.
Do you hate seeing Annie and Hughie fight, and just want them to be happy? (Thats me)
Did you also wish Black Noir played Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop?

Why do you think it sucks?

I thought the political allegory was getting a bit over the top and had lost some of its biting edge, but over the top is one of the things the show does very well. The stakes getting a lot higher always makes a shower harder to execute. I'll stick with it.

I haven't watched The Boys season 3 yet, but it does feel like Trump et al are such low-hanging fruit as a villain that it becomes a pretty predictable and uninteresting story

kinda like how the soviets and nazis are pretty tired villains, artistically speaking

politics in hand, kimiko and frenchie's relationship is one of the most well-written supportive, positive interpersonal relationships in media rn imo

I haven't watched The Boys season 3 yet, but it does feel like Trump et al are such low-hanging fruit as a villain that it becomes a pretty predictable and uninteresting story

kinda like how the soviets and nazis are pretty tired villains, artistically speaking

perhaps this is just being raised on The Simpsons where the background jokes make the show, but the scene at Vought World in ep 2 with Inclusive Land or whatever it was called with all the shops like LGBTurkey Legs and Woke Wok etc. was just not particularly clever, and you could see a writers room actually having fun with something like that

then i get jarred out of the world they create when they name drop people like George Soros; i'd prefer to suspend my disbelief here that this is just a similar universe, not our universe with superheroes in it

it's nigh on impossible to do satire really well, and if you're making fun of Trump and petty dictators it's even harder because they're so ridiculous themselves that parody barely has air to breathe in

i think what succeeds well is the show can almost parody itself at times, commentary on the genre and whatnot. but there are some misses for me too. maybe it was overboard of me to say "it sucks" but i was disappointed with the start of the third season since i dug the show.

the scene at Vought World in ep 2 with Inclusive Land or whatever it was called with all the shops like LGBTurkey Legs and Woke Wok etc. was just not particularly clever, and you could see a writers room actually having fun with something like that

contrast that with this:

yea i mean that's an extreme example (and a hilarious one), but it played like the bad writers room throwaway jokes they make on 30 rock

the show is hyper self aware (all the calls to the focus grouping and audience data they have to construct and market the 7) so some false notes just ring extra false

nah, i'm with you-- part of the reason i stopped watching the boys was because it felt like the show thought it was way more clever than it actually was

maybe someday i'll get back into it, but not exactly itching to do so

On the other side of the coin, I started watching The Boys last night with the first three eps and I really liked it.

The supes as cops message is clearly stated in Ep 1 as a thesis of the show.

We started watching Bad Vegan on Netflix last night - we're half way through (only four episodes, but the final two are longer) and so far it's pretty interesting. So hard to find a "true crime" type documentary where you don't already know too much of the story.

Just finished the last 2 episodes of ST4 last night. Really, really, really good TV.

The end of the fights with Vecna vs Eleven and Max/Jason vs Lucas/Joyce, Murray and Hopper vs Demogorgon & Demodogs was just so extreme and they built up so much to a very thrilling and satisfying conclusion that I don't see how they up the stakes for Season 5. They have to top what they did this year in terms of stakes and fights...gonna be pretty intense.

I figure Season 5 will be 3 or 4 movie-length episodes, maybe fewer. I don't see them being able to build enough story to fit more than that. They already did the "split everyone up across the country/globe" and brought them back together so I don't see them doing anything that drastic again.

Really excited for it though. I wonder if it will be 2023, or push it to early 2024 or perhaps even further into the year.

The music supervisor for that show has done a great job really capturing certain story beats. The mix/version of Separate Ways by Journey just fits so well. It got me so amped up for the trailers and the end of Episode 8 of Season 4. Same with Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush. I've been listening to the Soundtrack with the existing songs on YouTube as well as a long playlist of the scores from the 4 seasons. The synth music is really comforting...it helps me sleep actually.

Last edited:
The writers room will start meeting in August which suggests Season 5 will come out in Summer 2024.

Season finale of The Bear was crazy. I really hope it gets renewed, but even if not that was an excellent television show, Jeremy Allen White crushed it. Very impressive that they made a show about a sandwich shop just as intense as any cop show or hospital drama that I’ve ever seen.

Season finale of The Bear was crazy. I really hope it gets renewed, but even if not that was an excellent television show, Jeremy Allen White crushed it. Very impressive that they made a show about a sandwich shop just as intense as any cop show or hospital drama that I’ve ever seen.

The Bear is a masterpiece.

I have a buddy who is a chef that got burned out from the lifestyle. He has been teaching cooking classes for the last few years. He said The Bear has made him miss being in a real kitchen enough to start looking to go back to restaurant life.

Back