• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Maybe a win when we played like crap is what we needed? At some point, you would have to assume Bryant and Rizzo will figure out how to hit again - only two people are batting above .200 in the postseason. Team is batting .172 with a .225 OBP - woof. Cubs have hit 5 HR in the LCS, 4 are solos. 7% BB rate, 31% K-rate as a team.

Really, looking at the stats, no way we should have 4 wins in the postseason as a whole. Pitching has been great.

Stop watching last night and went to bed in the 7th. You're all welcome.

2dPKZPy.gif

Cubs haven't hit well at all this series (understatement of the year) so this isn't intended as an excuse at all, but watching the first few innings last night at all the sharply hit balls directly at defenders (partially due to the Dodgers' infield shifts) made me wonder what our average on balls in play is for the series. Not many balls have gone for hits up the middle at all.

Cubs haven't hit well at all this series (understatement of the year) so this isn't intended as an excuse at all, but watching the first few innings last night at all the sharply hit balls directly at defenders (partially due to the Dodgers' infield shifts) made me wonder what our average on balls in play is for the series. Not many balls have gone for hits up the middle at all.

Team BABIP is .276 - its not horrible, we just aren't putting the ball in play enough. Strikeouts are killer so far - credit goes to the Nats and Dodgers pitchers. Russell/Bryant/Rizzo have struck out 41 times in 106 PA so far.

The better team won the NLCS. The Dodgers outperformed the Cubs in every phase of the game. It happens.

Hayward one more year before Cubs can exercise an option?

I think the option is Heyward's. Fortunately the contract is front-loaded. He will make $28MM (yikes) next year and then it bumps back down to $20MM in 2019. With that contract he is untradeable so I think you just have to accept the sunk cost and hope that he can positive regress back to at least a league average hitter that plays Gold Glove defense.
The infield is locked-in, young, affordable, and great. That leaves LF and CF- what to do with Schwarber, Happ, etc. In a perfect world they get a high OBP CF that can be a true leadoff guy. Get a front line starter and 3 legit bullpen arms and we're good to go. Heck, if the Dodgers can spend $260MM on payroll, why not the Cubs- that's an extra $80MM a year right there!

Cubs decline 2018 club option on pitching coach Chris Bosio. Set to interview Jim Hickey on Monday. Hickey was Maddon's pitching coach in Tampa Bay from 2006 to 2015. He remained with the Rays through this season and his termination was by mutual agreement. The Cardinals and Giants are also interested.

Odd, Bosio has been great. Hickey seems like he'd be a good replacement doe

I was shocked by the Bosio news - but this year was a regression for the pitchers, especially the pen. A lot can be blamed on our drop in defense too - but not sure it was Bosios fault. Epstein told the press that Maddon had full call on who would come back, so this is a Maddon decision.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Schwarber. I could see trading him to the AL for a piece or two.

I assume Almora will get a lot of run in the OF, as will Happ. We could go Happ/Almora/Heyward out there. Then we need to get some bullpen help. The infield is obviously set.

Starting pitching is wait and see depending on what happens with Lackey and Arrieta.

Back