• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Interesting trade and worth the gamble, IMO. Interesting quote from today's Dallas Morning News:

"We won't even point out that the last time that Hamels and Darvish pitched back-to-back in a playoff rotation, the results were consecutive humbling losses that led to a sweep at the hands of Toronto in the 2016 Division Series. It was the only time they pitched together in a playoff series for the Rangers. It was also the last the Rangers saw of the playoffs. And it's likely to be the last they see of them until the roaring '20s."

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/te...ls-yu-darvish-dream-now-cubs-reality-texas-go

Final details on the trade for Hamels. Eddie Butler, Rollie Lacy, and a player to be named for Hamels and cash. The front office provided the lift the Cubs needed at a reasonable cost. At worst, they are yesterday's team. At best, they have added a number one starter.

Wish the best for Eddie Butler. He stepped up when needed the past two years.

Looks like Cubs are getting Kintzler from the Nats.

He is signed for big money this year and has a team and player option for next year. He puts up decent numbers, ground ball pitcher, doesn't get a lot of strikeouts, doesnt walk a ton. Should be a good pen arm. Havent seen the return yet.

Best thing about this deadline is the Brewers swinging and missing at all the big arms. Guessing they take Harvey now out of desperation.

Best thing about this deadline is the Brewers swinging and missing at all the big arms. Guessing they take Harvey now out of desperation.

As long as the Pirates don't sweep us this week

Pirates have a great, controllable pitching staff now. Pretty solid deadline for them. Their offense is still super suspect.

Kintzler and Chavez should minimize the need for the Iowa shuttle. Hamels offers hope for the rotation. Not bad for a team without any top prospects. Add Morrow and the bullpen gets stronger. I've quit hoping for a return of Darvish.

A healthy Bryant can't return soon enough. Baez, Rizzo, and Zobrist have hit well since the break. Bote and LaStella contribute off the bench. Everyone else is struggling. Seven games against the Padres and Royals offers the opportunity to get the offense in gear.

Hamels looked good in his Cubs debut. Hopefully he can bring some consistency to the middle of the rotation.

Of course Chatwood throws less than 50% strikes in his first (?) relief appearance. Guy is such a liability.

Hamels looked great - all his pitches were working. If Addy doesn't error in the first, he probably would have gone 6 innings at least. Baez with another great game - he is a terror on the basepaths, both for good and bad - but he makes stuff happen. It was good to get this win after the crappy overturn on Tuesday night at 3rd base.

Watching Chatwood tonight, it wasn't even his offspeed stuff, he is missing badly with his fastball - he is just in a funk. He needs to take a couple of weeks off or something - reminds me of Justin Wilson last year, just has no confidence in his pitches, he's not coming anywhere close to the glove.

Need the pitching to pick back up - only 1 game up on the Brewers. Saw a report that so far, all three of our new pitchers have combined for 15 innings, 15 K's and no runs. So far, so good.

Reading up on twitter this morning and seeing all this shit about Kintzler and the Nats - seems pretty crazy - they are saying they traded him because he was leaking clubhouse info to the public? Would have thought Theo, Jed and co would have called Davey to ask about him - not sure I believe it as much as I think its just spin so the team doesn't get down.

The funny thing is, the Barves and Phils aren't doing much right now and the Nats are only 5 back.

Good advice - there are seven of us and the game starts at 1:20 Central - we'll plan to be there when the gates open a couple hours prior.

Headed to KC tomorrow for my yearly father / son trip to see the Cubbies.

Brian Duensing placed on the ten day DL. Randy Rosario recalled from Iowa. I wondered how long it would take for this to happen. Two days. Good move.

Going to Wrigley next Friday for the Nats game for bachelor party. Sitting in the bleachers for the first time - should be a total blast.

I'll be there too, but going with DC fam in town for the weekend. Needless to say, we aren't sitting in the bleachers.

Don't understand why teams blindly send runners home so frequently in tight games. Pads did us a favor there

Don't understand why teams blindly send runners home so frequently in tight games. Pads did us a favor there

The 9th was a great play by note, the 8th was weird - jankowski seemed to just be indecisive and Baez threw him out by a mile.

Pen tried to blow a good start by Q.

Back