• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Well, you've squashed the only possibility I could dream up.

Caratini looks legit as a long term player behind Contreras. Wilson will need some rest to stay productive for another 3 or 4 months.

No, the possibility is that a regular is moved for pitching and we trade for a Jones or Grandy. Grandy is a Chicago guy, that would be cool if there was something that made sense. He's also a really good person.

Also, Caratini will only play 50 games max as a backup catcher and first baseman - he has more value in trade.

Hypothetical - Almora, Happ, Alzolay, any other 1, maybe 2, pitching prospects for DeGrom. Who says no?

Chatwood vs. Clayton Richard- never thought I would wish we had Clayton Richard

Carrie Muskat's matter of fact description of Tyler Chatwood's performance following tonight's game.

"Chicago's starter Tyler Chatwood did not get a decision, but did add to his major league-leading walk total by issuing three free passes. He's now walked 73 over 84 innings. Chatwood served up five hits, including a two run homer to Travis Jankowski with two outs in the second. The right-hander was lifted after five innings and has gone twelve straight starts without completing six innings, the longest streak for a Cub pitcher in the live-ball era."

Great use of facts to state that Chatwood has been historically terrible.

Until we stop winning his starts or we finally trade for someone, he's getting the ball every fifth day. It sucks, but he's being rescued by the offense - 10-8 in his 18 starts.

Nathan Eovaldi, Brad Hand and Zach Britton are identified as affordable trade options on the Cub site. Hand and Britton are lefty relievers, so Montgomery might continue in a starting role.

Randy Rosario, Luke Farrell, Anthony Bass, Justin Hancock and James Norwood have impressed when given the opportunity. The same article suggests David Bote and Chris Coghlan provide depth to the line up.

All things considered, the Cubs had a decent first half. Barring injury, a second half performance like the past three years should suffice to put the team into the playoffs.

If we play like we have in the second half the past couple years we will ease to home-field advantage in the NL.

Which we currently would have. A very decent first half indeed. Seemed like things started to come together over the last couple weeks, less prolonged offensive droughts the key

The team has improved situational hitting. "Keep the line moving" has resulted in some big innings and late inning comebacks. Success results in repetition. Maddon and Davis have preached this all season.

Rizzo entering with 2 outs in 9th , down 7-1, After reserve catcher gets dp, Madden is the man!!

Sounds like the Cubs are in play for every starter on the market, but so are the Yankees, Brewers, Braves and DBacks - and any of them are going to out-prospect the Cubs on a deal. Theo has said Chavez will not be the only acquisition, so my guess is we either scrape the bottom of the barrel and get an innings eater that will only cost a low prospect that no one wants or we end up trading from our major league roster to get one of the controllable pitchers (degrom, wheeler, archer, stroman, etc.). Unless the Cubs are desperate, we aren't beating any of those other teams on Happ or Hamels or that type. Already saw Eovaldi go for a prospect that is better than most anything we have.

Brewers trade for Joakim Soria. Should help their pen - Hader, Jeffress and Soria are pretty formidable at the back end of games.

David Bote strikes again.

edit. Rizzo follows for the win. Good to see some long ball.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Cubs are in play for every starter on the market, but so are the Yankees, Brewers, Braves and DBacks - and any of them are going to out-prospect the Cubs on a deal. Theo has said Chavez will not be the only acquisition, so my guess is we either scrape the bottom of the barrel and get an innings eater that will only cost a low prospect that no one wants or we end up trading from our major league roster to get one of the controllable pitchers (degrom, wheeler, archer, stroman, etc.). Unless the Cubs are desperate, we aren't beating any of those other teams on Happ or Hamels or that type. Already saw Eovaldi go for a prospect that is better than most anything we have.

Ignore everything I said - Cubs got Hamels. Looks like it is because they picked up a ton of salary. Havent seen the names yet.

Either way, love this get - Hamels still has something in the tank, lets hope getting out of the Rangers bandbox will help him. Pretty excited to see Chatwood get the DL for who knows what weird injury.

I hope the front office has the sense to follow your suggestion for Chatwood.

Hamels for Rollie Lacy, cash and a player to be named later are the reported terms. Works for me. Hamels home/away splits indicate he is effective away from Arlington and he has always pitched well at Wrigley. Nice addition.

I hadn't heard anything about Lacy, but sounds like he was a fast riser in the system after a good half in high A. We have a ton of those decent A ball pitchers, so this is a great trade, for me, even if Hamels sucks, not like we gave up much - but fingers crossed the league switch and playoff hunt reinvigorates him.

Back