• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I was going to post that from the box score it appeared Captain Hook made another odd early bullpen move lifting Chatwwod one out away from qualifying for a win having given up just one run and four hits. But the I saw the walk total...

Chatwood is a throwback. HOF Randy Johnson walked 152 in 201 innings in 1991, followed by 144 in 210 innings in 1992. That's 6.5 BB/9 innings over two seasons. Koufax averaged 5.3 BB/9 over his first five seasons. HOF icons. Herb Score averaged 6 BB/9 over his career. Some of the wild ones of the fifties/sixties were unbelievably bad. The most frightening was Ryne Duren. He averaged a walk per inning in 1960 for the Yankees and 6 BB/9 over his career as a reliever. He wore heavy, thick horned rim glasses and threw fire. One of his five warm up pitches always sailed to the backstop. Sometimes all of them did. You never saw anyone dig in the box when Duren pitched. Life is too precious. You're in NYC DaDeacs. Ask an old Yankee fan about Duren.

Edit. At 8.64 BB/9, Chatwood appears to be making a concerted effort to set a new record for futility. Question is this...has he the consistency to keep it up for an entire season.

I trade Chatwood for a pitcher half as good as Randy Johnson or Sandy Koufax in a heartbeat. Chatwood is looking more like a poor-man's Russ Ortiz.

He reminds me of Theo's first FA acquisition, Edwin Jackson. I'm also reminded of the former Cardinal thrower who had the same difficulty with location and became an outfielder to stay in the game. Montgomery has an opportunity to change his role with continued good efforts and Rosario as the possible LH bullpen option. Game time.

Chatwood is a mediocre starter. Montgomery did well again today. Not sure I like the idea of a reliever with a big walk ratio. Was this an issue for him in Colorado? 12 over and suddenly the best record in the NL. Still feel like the offense can click more consistently.

He reminds me of Theo's first FA acquisition, Edwin Jackson. I'm also reminded of the former Cardinal thrower who had the same difficulty with location and became an outfielder to stay in the game. Montgomery has an opportunity to change his role with continued good efforts and Rosario as the possible LH bullpen option. Game time.

Ugh. Jackson. No one should remind you of him. That was an ugly one.

Positive thoughts since we've won 3/5 of our games. MIKE MONTGOMERY! Not exactly counting down the days til Yu's return.

Damn, got negative again. Alright, our bullpen is lit. Thoyer did a great piecing that together

Last edited:
I still like Edlose, he threw strikes. I mean, he didn't miss a lot of bats, and I thought he looked ok out of the pen - but he got a couple more starter gigs after he left.

Went to the Twins / Angels game tonight. There are literally two position players on the Twins I'd want for the Cubs - Rosario and Escobar. That's it. Obviously the Angels have one. Point being, Cubs fans are very lucky right now with the team that has been assembled. FWIW, Target Field is the best run park anywhere in the country. Incredible food choices, great setting and a very intimate park.

Anthony Bass finished tonight's game with a scoreless inning to become the newest member of the Iowa bullpen shuttle. He followed two perfect innings by Randy Rosario who notched his third win. Bass joins Rosario, Rob Zastryzny, Cory Mazzoni, Justin Hancock and Luke Farrell as unknowns from Iowa that have made a big contribution to the bullpen. Their combined efforts: 43 G, 47 IP, 31 H, 12 R, 10 ER, 4 HR, 22 W, 46 K, 1.91 ERA, .180 BA, 1.13 Whip. Winning baseball requires contributions from every member of a team. These guys have stepped up big.

I know I'm not supposed to be negative, but we can be pretty painful to watch at times

Feast or famine offense keeps the Cubs trudging. Pitching and defense doing the job.

A name from the past has emerged. Chris Coghlan was signed by the Cubs to a minor league contract at the end of spring training. He was assigned to the Iowa Cubs yesterday and sent to Arizona Cubs 1 on a rehab assignment. Maddon likes lightning in a bottle.

Went to the Twins / Angels game tonight. There are literally two position players on the Twins I'd want for the Cubs - Rosario and Escobar. That's it. Obviously the Angels have one. Point being, Cubs fans are very lucky right now with the team that has been assembled. FWIW, Target Field is the best run park anywhere in the country. Incredible food choices, great setting and a very intimate park.

Buddy of mine from down south said the same thing about Target Field. He said he's take it over any park in baseball.

Really need to get CJ back in the pen - they have done well as a whole, but I'm assuming no one else thought Wilson would hold that one run lead yesterday.

Another good start by Lester today - his K's are way down, but he is keeping the ball in the park and letting the defense make plays - same as Monty. Now we gotta figure out why Hendricks can't do that.

I guess Maddon will work match ups rather than designate a closer. Cishek, Strop, and Wilson are the remnants of the pen that started the season. I keep waiting for the pen to implode but the Iowa shuttle keeps delivering. Eleven straight games without a break will be a test unless the starters step up.

Implosion. Hendrix does an Greg Maddox impersonation for five shutout innings. Can't find the plate in the sixth giving up an infield single and three not close BB to walk in a run. Rosario enters and surrenders a grand slam followed by three shell shocked singles. Cubs go from up two runs to down four. I can't recall ever seeing Hendricks with less command. Rosario was due for a stinker.

Last edited:
The Reds were not a sub-.400 baseball team. Sometimes teams with bad records get on a roll and return to a more appropriate level in terms of their record.

Unfortunately that took place against us

Javy comes up big for a beleaguered Cub team in need of someone to step up. He's also making a case to bat higher in the line up, hitting .356 and producing 34 runs in 21 games hitting second or third.

Back