• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Went to the game yesterday and while they looked sloppy and not fully engaged, it's pretty damn great that we can lose 3 straight to the Cardinals and still have a 9 game plus lead on them.

Im going to the weekend games next week at Citi field - may do the Friday night one too, depends on how much the tickets are and/or if I can get them for free.

Went to the game yesterday and while they looked sloppy and not fully engaged, it's pretty damn great that we can lose 3 straight to the Cardinals and still have a 9 game plus lead on them.

Just DO. NOT. WANT. the Cards in the NLDS again. Other teams may be better on paper, but no bleepin' thanks.

And they're pretty good anyway, they have the run diff of a .600 team

LK and JD comparing the recent series with the Cards to the post season series with the Cards made the observation that the Cubs starting outfield from last year are all on the disabled list at present.

Cards got some payback.

We cant locate to save our lives, at least our bats showed up. Bryzzo just went 826 feet combined on back to back pitches.

Bryant had two other bombs, just in case. And we need them. Jake looked atrocious.

Jake is blowing everyone off saying there is nothing wrong. He looks like a lot more like 2013 Jake than 2015 Jake right now - lots of control problems, high pitch counts - he is relying on bad plate discipline at this point. He isn't missing by a ton, but every time he missed a spot by a couple of inches, he would follow that with a pitch way out of the strike zone. My guess is unless he works something out, we are looking at a 6 inning guy with a high BB and high K rate moving forward - and since he cant hold a baserunner (or miggy cant throw one out, whichever you want), could be a long rest of the season for Jake.

Heres to hoping he figures this out quickly.

Cubs beat the Reds in 15 innings 7-2 in the most unorthodox manner I have seen in years. Lester was outstanding for 7.2 innings. His only mistake was a HR to Billy Hamilton. Hector Rondon looked terrible in blowing his third save in the ninth and sending the game into extra innings. Both bullpens were outstanding. CJ Edwards impressed in the eleventh by retiring Votto on a soft F-9 and striking out Phillips and Bruce. Things got weird in the 13th. Having depleted his bench, Maddon replaced Coughlan in LF with Travis Wood and Cahill on the mound with Peralta. Peralta induced a DP from Votto to end the inning. The Cubs failed to score in the top of the 14th but Patton replaced Peralta. Patton retired Phillips then switched positions with Wood who retired Bruce. They switched again and Patton retired Duvall. Cubs scored five in the 15th. Bryant had an RBI single to put the Cubs in the lead and Baez hit a grand slam to put the game on ice. Patton was replaced by Pedro Strop and everyone expected him to pitch the bottom of the 15th. No way. He goes to LF and Wood finishes the game to secure the win.

I think Maddon's maneuvers, though made out of desperation after depleting the bench, were so outrageous they had the team laughing and relaxed. The Reds announcers simply called them brilliant. Javy Baez looked terrible at the plate , totally undisciplined and thinking nothing but HR. But in the 15th he crushed one for a grand slam and the game was effectively over.
Nonsense like tonight's win can change a team's mind set from tentative to confident. If nothing else they are fun and this is a game that is best played by having fun.

Cubs beat the Reds in 15 innings 7-2 in the most unorthodox manner I have seen in years. Lester was outstanding for 7.2 innings. His only mistake was a HR to Billy Hamilton. Hector Rondon looked terrible in blowing his third save in the ninth and sending the game into extra innings. Both bullpens were outstanding. CJ Edwards impressed in the eleventh by retiring Votto on a soft F-9 and striking out Phillips and Bruce. Things got weird in the 13th. Having depleted his bench, Maddon replaced Coughlan in LF with Travis Wood and Cahill on the mound with Peralta. Peralta induced a DP from Votto to end the inning. The Cubs failed to score in the top of the 14th but Patton replaced Peralta. Patton retired Phillips then switched positions with Wood who retired Bruce. They switched again and Patton retired Duvall. Cubs scored five in the 15th. Bryant had an RBI single to put the Cubs in the lead and Baez hit a grand slam to put the game on ice. Patton was replaced by Pedro Strop and everyone expected him to pitch the bottom of the 15th. No way. He goes to LF and Wood finishes the game to secure the win.

I think Maddon's maneuvers, though made out of desperation after depleting the bench, were so outrageous they had the team laughing and relaxed. The Reds announcers simply called them brilliant. Javy Baez looked terrible at the plate , totally undisciplined and thinking nothing but HR. But in the 15th he crushed one for a grand slam and the game was effectively over.
Nonsense like tonight's win can change a team's mind set from tentative to confident. If nothing else they are fun and this is a game that is best played by having fun.

I went to bed before extra innings but saw 2 of his at bats. You are not exaggerating. I shook my head when I saw he it a GS in extra innings. Madden's moves were awesome.

Cubs win a 9-2 laugher to sweep the Reds. Rizzo's 3 run inside the park HR in the first gave the Cubs a lead that was never threatened. Every position player had a hit and scored a run. Almora win his first HR and a diving catch in CF. Hendricks wins his sixth game with a workman like effort. Wilson Contreras makes a ball to the nuts amusing with a dance down the third base line.

Edwards pitches two innings to finish the game. He looks like he intends to stay in Chicago.

Cubs win a 9-2 laugher to sweep the Reds. Rizzo's 3 run inside the park HR in the first gave the Cubs a lead that was never threatened. Every position player had a hit and scored a run. Almora win his first HR and a diving catch in CF. Hendricks wins his sixth game with a workman like effort. Wilson Contreras makes a ball to the nuts amusing with a dance down the third base line.

Edwards pitches two innings to finish the game. He looks like he intends to stay in Chicago.
Jason must have gotten a day off, huh?

Jake is blowing everyone off saying there is nothing wrong. He looks like a lot more like 2013 Jake than 2015 Jake right now - lots of control problems, high pitch counts - he is relying on bad plate discipline at this point. He isn't missing by a ton, but every time he missed a spot by a couple of inches, he would follow that with a pitch way out of the strike zone. My guess is unless he works something out, we are looking at a 6 inning guy with a high BB and high K rate moving forward - and since he cant hold a baserunner (or miggy cant throw one out, whichever you want), could be a long rest of the season for Jake.

Heres to hoping he figures this out quickly.

Teams are intentionally taking a ton of pitches from him. Which is smart and is clearly part of the high pitch count issue. Even if he strikes a guy out they figure he'll need 5 or 6 pitches often to get the job done. So defend and make him work and hope you can get him to leave before the 7th inning.

We have scored 87 runs in 9 games against the Reds. They are on pace to give up over 900 runs this year, their pitching is terrible.

Just finishing watching sportscenter in the gym and l3 of their Top 10 plays was fielding gems by us yesterday.

52-26 after sweeping our bitches (wsc I like it) the Reds - back to the old .666

Two weeks from tomorrow I'll be in Wrigleyville!

The debacle of the seventh inning belongs to Maddon. Taking out Lackey for Peralta made no sense. Peralta doesn't have it anymore. Baez throw didn't help matters. Cub bats need to come alive to win this one.

Edit. Cubs load the bases in the ninth. Bryant and Contreras strike out, unable to lay off multiple sinkers down, in and out of the zone. Baez pops out on the same pitch. Cubs lose 4-3.

Last edited:
Back