• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Forgot to mention this a couple of days ago, but saw the article again today - Cubs are still in on the Cole Hamels sweepstakes. I think the Cards or Sawx will likely pay more, but you never know what Rube is looking for. Baez/Vogelbach for Hamels, and we eat all the cash - yes? yes? Maybe throw in one or two of Felix Pena/Corey Black/FRank Batista/Barrett Loux?

“We are open-minded,” Phillies GM Ruben Amaro told USA Today. “We’re not afraid to subsidize contracts. We never told a club that we would not absolutely subsidize his contract. If there’s a deal to be made, we’ll do it.”

Also, Hail Szczur heading back up to replace Denorfia.

Im assuming they want Mendy to keep getting significant ABs, cause he is crushing it. Could see him come up later in the year once they have their rotation down and he could start 60% of games in any of the OFs, 2B, SS and even 3B. They have him starting at 2B in Iowa most days, but he has played all the others.

And just to bomb post the thread, lots of news articles about how EJx has turned the corner with 0 ER in 9 IP and has a .171 BAA.

Eh, he has pitched in two meaningful games - one he got the win when the Cubs stormed back, the other he came in a high leverage situation and blew the game. Color me unimpressed with the other 4 outings in games the Cubs were losing by more than 4 runs. Also, no chance he can keep up a .231 BABIP.

But whatevs, hopefully this will allow someone to take him - 2/$26 for a middle reliever seems like a steal!

Great ballgame as far as I am concerned. :D Neither team pitched well & both teams hit well. Still a long season for us now without Wainwright.

Strop had gone 57 straight games without giving up more than 1 ER, and has been knocked around for 3 in each of his past two outings.

Gotta blow up the Cards with their spot starter going tonight. Need a win here to snap the three game skid.

So Cubs try out EJax again - oof again.

Also, Blake Parker was DFA'd today, German optioned to AAA, Szczur, Russell called up, Varvaro added to the roster.

Letting the Cards run away with the division so they'll be completely rusty and not playoff ready come October.

Maddon is a goddamned genius

James Russell looked pretty good - both hits he gave up (and the run) were the right outcome, just couldn't make the play on ground balls.

Addison Russell seems to be coming around, on base 4 out of 5 times last night - granted, when we needed him the most he struck out, but oh well.

Glad to see James Russell return. Stand up pitcher during some tough years. Varvaro had decent seasons with the Braves. Hope he makes a positive contribution. I'm concerned about Strop. Hope his head is straight after the past two outings. Edwin J. pitches well when Cubs are behind. Will give you innings. Can't hand him the ball with a lead, he'll blow it. Addison has an eight game hitting streak and looks to be gaining confidence. It won't surprise me if he takes over 2B. Bryant impresses in so many ways. Imagine when (not if) he gets rolling. Cubs need Lester to be the 'ACE' tonight. When your #1 big money pitcher delivers against the hottest and best team in the league, everyone (the entire organization) gains confidence.

Cubbies keep making moves. Lake optioned to Iowa. Szczur recalled. Varvaro DFA'd. Grimm activated from 15 day disabled. Szczur and Grimm will be available tonight.

Bryant has two more Ks so far - but its not all his fault, the strike zone for Lynn tonight is huge and he is having to swing at pitches half a foot outside.

Maddon gets tossed calling out the umps on their strike zone that has been turrible all game.

Back