• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Please dont implode here - ugh, Addison error gives the Cards a chance and Lester is struggling to get the last out

ATTABOY STARLIN! Great play to get the 6-3 inning-ending DP.

I'd love to tack on an insurance run or two here but would settle for a three up three down save.

Good to see Strop get out of that. Was starting to curse the heavens that we were persisting with him. Hopefully that'll fix him

Bullpen stared at the abyss and lived to tell about it. Good job dudes

The K with one out was massive. Almost had a heart attack when out three was bobbled on the grounder.

Solid win though. Not our greatest effort but good to get one after the last few losses.

Lester, Strop and Rondon pitch well enough to stop the streak. The offense continues to strike early and add on. If that continues and Arrieta stands tall, the Cubs could leave St. Louis with a comeback series split and momentum. The return of two productive pitchers (Grimm and Russell) would add to the vibe. Here's hoping.

I dont get the Varvaro move - I guess it was insurance in case Grimm had a setback? Oh well, he gone unless Motte, Grimm or Strop have get injured in the next 10 days.

It should be a low scoring affair tonight, Arrieta has been lights out against the Cards and Lackey has been solid against the Cubs.

Saying that, its going to be a 9-8 game.

After the dread of the first two games, a split in this series would have to be viewed as a big win. Need Arrieta to continue his great start.

Last edited:
I don't really get the Varvaro move either but it seems like he doesn't fancy himself a long reliever at all and the Cubs wanted someone to do that. Who knows what the actual reason for the move was though.

Rizzo leading the majors in OBP at .474. Bryant is in sixth not far behind.

Its crazy how much respect Bryant is getting so far - well, either respect or disrespect depending on how you look at it.

He has only had 41% of the pitches thrown to him be in the strike zone, the 17th lowest amount among all players that have had at least 50 at bats. Assuming this means people are scared of his power without him every hitting a major league HR - could also mean they know he will swing at pitches outside the zone and are happy with letting him have a .400+ OBP meaning he will K at a 30%+ rate.

Also love seeing the mentality of this team, they are just hungry, not thinking about anything bigger - this quote from Rizzo is awesome.

"It doesn't matter to me," Rizzo said of his lofty statistics. "We won a big game. Celebrate this one, strap it on tomorrow and figure out a way to win [again]."

Once they get a few more wins under their belt and see this turn into wins, they will be tough to beat.

Rizzo really looking good at the plate recently. Three homers in the past week I believe.

It seems like hardly anyone is throwing Bryant fastballs. Having Rizzo and Bryant back-to-back really punishes opposing teams as Rizzo gets on base so easily and then you have to negotiate Bryant where you're afraid to throw him anything hard across the zone. Really tough situation. Good for our five through seven slots though since they're getting plenty of opportunities to drive in some runs.

Rizzo really looking good at the plate recently. Three homers in the past week I believe.

It seems like hardly anyone is throwing Bryant fastballs. Having Rizzo and Bryant back-to-back really punishes opposing teams as Rizzo gets on base so easily and then you have to negotiate Bryant where you're afraid to throw him anything hard across the zone. Really tough situation. Good for our five through seven slots though since they're getting plenty of opportunities to drive in some runs.

Rizzo has moved to standing closer to the plate, which has forced pitchers to throw him pitches over the plate because going too far inside is getting lots of HBPs. HAving said that, hes still not seeing a ton, lots of outside pitches, but its nice to see him having more BBs than Ks.

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here or talked about anywhere else, but Jon Lester is just god awful at hitting the baseball. While he played in the AL up until this year, I would still think he would be a little bit better at hitting. He's 0-50 all time with 29 strikeouts and has an OBP of .019. He apparently was walked one time but it doesn't even appear on his season log.

So that's horrible even by pitcher's standards I would think...I mean no hits in 50 at bats?

Thus far, this game leaves lots to be desired as a Cub fan. So much for momentum or good vibes. Also, this is a strange lineup. Maddon will keep us guessing.

Last edited:
This was just a rough all around game - Arrieta gives up his first run after an infield single and error - probably should have just been an error - puts a runner on second. 2 more runs score on a double by the pitcher - thats not going to happen. And the last run comes on a wild pitch.

Just oof. Arrieta didnt have his best stuff today, was missing a lot and going deep into counts

Back