• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I know Wrigley is two incredibly different parks based off the wind direction, but seems like that's been particularly pronounced this year

Almora - 0-4 with 6 runners left on - not including his "RBI" which was a no out double play with the bases loaded.

He has been hot, but woof.

Who's this new guy we have in the pen? He has looked great year - Chatwood something?

Chatwood has done well. He has gained some steam on his fastball. Consistent 96 with 98 at top. Aim dead center and be prepared for big break in any direction. Same with his off speed pitch. The curve is ridiculous but without control. Hitters aren't digging in and he looks effectively wild out of the bullpen. He can hit (career .214) a little as well.

Watched the game this afternoon. Top of the ninth it struck me that Cishek had no chance against the 2-3-4-5 hitters he would face. This was before he threw his first pitch. The only guy in the bullpen with the stuff to match up and experience of having done so is Edwards. Strope can but he is injured. Cubs have a serious problem against the big boys late in the game.

We just have a bullpen problem, Cishek is fine against anyone - before this game, I think the reds hit under .100 against him.

Tim Collins and Dillon Maples recalled from Iowa to bolster the bullpen. James Norwood and Mark Zagunis optioned to Iowa. Roster roulette will probably continue since the Cubs have only Thursday off as the breather of 33 games in 34 days. Zagunis will probably stay in Iowa to allow him to get some consistent at bats per Maddon. May see the return of Ian Happ?

edit. Tyler Chatwood earns his first save since 2017. Gave up a couple of soft singles. Got a pitchers best friend DP. The sigh of relief from the crowd probably added to the 18 mph wind blowing out to CF. Final batter popped out to RF. Velocity increased from 93 to 97 over the course of the inning. Give Maddon credit. No fear and willing to try anything. He even rode Darvish into the eighth inning, his first start past six innings as a Cub. Huge confidence boost for Yu.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where Happ gets playing time in particular if Zobrist ever returns. He is still striking out like a mofo (52 in 162 ABs) and is batting .228. In hindsight, the Cubs should have sold him last year when teams thought he had high potential.

Happ's primary advantage is major league experience and versatility. Playing time limited, especially with Schwarber and Almora going good. Zobrist's return is a big ?? Baseball is not a priority at present. You said it...if he ever returns. They will need a fourth bench player sooner rather than later.

Experience and versatility are great, but at some point he has to show he can produce at the plate.

Sad to hear about Bill Buckner. One of my favorite Cubs back in the 70s/early 80s

Went back and looked at the players that were linked to the Cubs in the offseason for MIF/Utility type roles - most aren't doing so hot - except for Derek Dietrich who has put on a power show in Cincy.

The good news on Descalso is they can get out of this contract after this year, unless he turns it around.

Descalso needs to sit. His slump is at 9 for 82 with 9 walks over the past 32 games. Losing Zobrist and minus Russell affected his usage, but with Russell back there is no reason for Descalso to start. Time to earn at bats off the bench.

Hendricks with a much needed outstanding outing. He's rounding back into form. 12 Ks for the offense. Miley must have pitched well too other than two solo shots.

Hendo with a 1.81 ERA in May. Acceptable.

Saw a stat on one game I was watching where he tends to scuffle his first few starts then rolls from there

Cubs just signed Carlos Gonzalez the original(?) CarGo. Probably like 4 years too late, but whatever, can't be any worse than Zagunis.

He has always hit well against us, but he looked sorely average with Cleveland so far this year.

Back