• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Indeed. Both Rizzo and Bryant are right on top of the plate.

They deserve to get hit. Luckily for them Bob Gibson isn't still pitching. If he was he would hit them then kick their ass if they complained.

Bryant does not stand on top of the plate.

A guy I wouldn't mind the Cubs going after is Dee Gordon. Hes gonna be super cheap and likely would get the Mariners to eat a bunch of the contract. Get a guy that's two years removed from .350 OBP and can actually do something on the base paths - cut Descalso. Would have $8ish million tied up in a 2B next year, but could buy low on a high NL OBP guy for 18 months - and worst case is a solid late inning runner and decent defender at 2B. This includes just straight up cutting Addy, who stinks.

Dee Gordon would be a solid addition. Decent defense, speed, base stealing ability and a bat capable of .300+.

I don't see the Cubs moving Russell. His glove at 2B and SS is too valuable. Push comes to shove, Addison still starts at second in must win games and is the only good defender at short if Baez gets hurt.

A fourth outfielder capable of playing CF would be a plus. If Happ or Zagunis were seen as the solution they would be in Chicago.

Can Gordon lead off? Sounds like it. A base stealing threat somewhere in the lineup would be nice.

Dee Gordon would be a solid addition. Decent defense, speed, base stealing ability and a bat capable of .300+.

I don't see the Cubs moving Russell. His glove at 2B and SS is too valuable. Push comes to shove, Addison still starts at second in must win games and is the only good defender at short if Baez gets hurt.

A fourth outfielder capable of playing CF would be a plus. If Happ or Zagunis were seen as the solution they would be in Chicago.

Zags cant play CF - they are keeping Happ in AAA because he is too inconsistent and they dont technically need him, hes likely an upgrade offensively over Almora and Descalso, but Almoras defense is top notch and Happ isn't going to hit enough to start ahead of Garcia or Addy consistently.

Really, really want them to trade Addy - his defense hasn't been anything amazing this year (the whole team.has stunk for that matter), and while Garcia is a K machine, gotta see what you have with this kid.

Most of the reasons the Cubs struggled the first half of the season were on full display this evening. Predictably, the Cubs watched a 3-1 lead turn into a 6-3 loss.

Edit. Wilson Contreras to the 10 day IL with a strain to the arch of his right foot. Mike Montgomery traded to the Royals for C Mike Maldonaldo. Maldonado is a career .220/.289/.352 at the plate, won a Gold Glove in 2017 and has thrown out an active MLB career best 37.3% of runners attempting to steal a base. I imagine Montgomery will get the opportunity to start in KC. He's had the toughest job on the Cub staff for four seasons and handled it with class and effectiveness.

Last edited:
Too many runners left in scoring position, bad D, poor relief pitching. Recipe for an L. Good start my Hendricks wasted.

Montgomery gone. I expect more to come soon here.

Tons of rumors floating that Theo wants to pull a "Nomar" trade. I've seen Schwarber and Caratini thrown around the most, but have also seen some people throw out Kris Bryant as a trade option, since he has said he is very unlikely to sign anything before hitting FA. I would be extremely shocked, though, as he still has 2 more years left. I'm just hoping we don't gut the growing farm system again - Nico, Amaya, Marquez, Brennan Davis.

Would also hate to lose Caratini, as he has shown he can hit and hit well at this level - but I'm not sure you can have both he and Willson on the team for the next 4 years, rather than whatever he can fetch, since he should likely be a starter somewhere.

Thoughts on trading Montgomery for a good D, mediocre O catcher who will be a FA at the end of this season?

Thoughts on trading Montgomery for a good D, mediocre O catcher who will be a FA at the end of this season?

Monty was awesome for 3 years, but he wore out his welcome with some teammates, demanded a trade a couple of times and he has pitched like garbage this year. Will always have 2016, and he has been a solid Cub, but it was time for him to go. He should get a shot to start with the Royals and see if he can make it - I think its a win/win, and not sure we could get much more for him with his performance so far this year, and I'm not sure we would want him back next year at $5 or so million.

Also, pretty much everyone thinks this a precursor to Caratini getting move - but the Cub carried 3 catchers for the last half of 2016 too. Caratini and Contreras have "some" flexibility to play other positions (Caratini/1B, Contreras/OF). I am hoping it just signals that we can move on from Descalso now.

Maldonado also enhances a Schwaber trade. Contreras and Bryant in LF allowing Caratini and Bote more play at C and 3B and keeping Contreras bat in the line up.

Robel Garcia has been a welcome lift. What's the over/under on him coming back down to earth?

I'm glad Brandon Kintzler decided to exercise his option. Nineteen straight scoreless appearances and counting. 35 of 40 on the season. 84% of inherited runners stranded.

Maddon replaces Darvish after 83 pitches and 6 innings of 2 hit shutout baseball. Reds announcers react like he has done the Reds a favor.

Edit. A nice over his head catch by Almora and back pick by Caratini to Rizzo at first remove the favor. His bat has been weak but Almora is gold glove in CF.

Reds announcers have made a point to mention the Cubs have been the dominant post all-star team in baseball over the past four seasons. The second best (Boston) are 13 games behind.

Last edited:
Maddon replaces Darvish after 83 pitches and 6 innings of 2 hit shutout baseball. Reds announcers react like he has done the Reds a favor.

what the hell? Maddon must be on auto pilot assuming Darvish has thrown 110 pitches and walked 5. darvish finding good form would be huge.

Maldonado also enhances a Schwaber trade. Contreras and Bryant in LF allowing Caratini and Bote more play at C and 3B and keeping Contreras bat in the line up.

Robel Garcia has been a welcome lift. What's the over/under on him coming back down to earth?

I'm glad Brandon Kintzler decided to exercise his option. Nineteen straight scoreless appearances and counting. 35 of 40 on the season. 84% of inherited runners stranded.

Garcia is a ride while hes hot guy - not expecting him to stick as anything more than a backup IF, but you never know, if he can continue hitting well enough to cover his 40% k-rate, then you never know. Reminding me of Jorge Solers run in 2015 right now.

Also, would much prefer Schwarbers bat in the lineup to Bote right now.

Bote and Caratini have less than 500 career plate appearances and are in their second full season as bench players. Both have done well in their roles, but are probably playing more than initially anticipated. Each have begun to show holes in their swing that are now being exploited. Like most players they will need to make adjustments. The addition of Maldonado will help Caratini. If Garcia can stick or Descalso wakes up, Bote will have help.

A week away from knowing about Zorilla. That would help a lot, even an average Zobs can take pitches, put the ball in play, move runners - and a 2018 Zobs would be a solid addition to this team. And maybe cut Descalso.

Crazy day at Wrigley. The first six innings the wind was blowing straight out to CF at 15 mph, the sun was a beast and the temp was 95 degrees. In the space of two pitches the wind was blowing in from CF at 15 mph, the sky clouded and the air temp fell 20 degrees. The fans gave the weather a standing ovation, bombs away became shut out baseball and the Cubs won 6-5.

Back