• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Reports saying Cubs are in on Castellenos. Makes sense, would setup almost a straight LF platoon with Schwarber - hopefully keep Almoras bat on the bench until the late innings. Cant imagine it would take that much to get him, but there will be other teams in the mix.

Same reports said Cubs were poking around on Shane Green... that would be a bit more expensive, just based on the fact that every contending team will be interested. Also, last tiger's trade was Parades/Candelario for Avila/Wilson - not sure that worked out for either team - Parades has hit a ceiling in the minors and Candelario is struggling.

Keeping Almora's bat on the bench would mean an outfield of Schwarber, Heyward and Castellenos. Defensively you go from averaqe, gold glove, gold glove to average, average and poor. Almora's bat has been disappointing, but his defense is outstanding. Castellenos bat is a good option in left/right against LHP, but there is a real downside to his defense.

The road woes continue.

Pedro Strop has another rough night, his ninth in 30 appearances. Fastball velocity and command has diminished, as has his usage of the pitch. Hitters expect the slider so it's less effective. Joe might have to rethink his eighth inning role. Edward's fastball velocity was down as well, but it returned before the injury. Both have been reliable the past few years, hope they return to form.

Cubs lack of depth really hurting. No solid bench players with numerous starters not able to hit. The bullpen is similar with a couple reliable arms and then a huge fall off.

The Cubs holding in the off season with no progression from Russell, Happ, Almora, and Schwarber really hurt. Combine that with the negative WAR of Descalso and you have no options at the bottom of the order.

I’m not sure what I’d do as there are so many holes to plug.

Keeping Almora's bat on the bench would mean an outfield of Schwarber, Heyward and Castellenos. Defensively you go from averaqe, gold glove, gold glove to average, average and poor. Almora's bat has been disappointing, but his defense is outstanding. Castellenos bat is a good option in left/right against LHP, but there is a real downside to his defense.

Almora needs to be benched - his defense is not worth the black hole that is hit bat. He can be a late inning replacement - he can't even hit lefties any more. It cannot be overstated how bad his offense is. OF defense is

Cubs lack of depth really hurting. No solid bench players with numerous starters not able to hit. The bullpen is similar with a couple reliable arms and then a huge fall off.

The Cubs holding in the off season with no progression from Russell, Happ, Almora, and Schwarber really hurt. Combine that with the negative WAR of Descalso and you have no options at the bottom of the order.

I’m not sure what I’d do as there are so many holes to plug.

Happ is likely coming soon, unless he is traded. Cubs need an RP, OF and MIF.

Schwarber is slugging .759 in the last 10 games - he is an above average hitter. Russell, Almora, Descalso and Maldonado are not good at the plate right now.

Happ is likely coming soon, unless he is traded. Cubs need an RP, OF and MIF.

Schwarber is slugging .759 in the last 10 games - he is an above average hitter. Russell, Almora, Descalso and Maldonado are not good at the plate right now.

Schwarber is hitting around .225, where it seems he has been most of the season. He has power, but he is king of the solo home run. 22 HR/47 RBI. I like him, but I'd like to see him in the 5-6 spot and increase his RBIs. Agree on Almora - he is close to an automatic out right now.

Schwarber is hitting around .225, where it seems he has been most of the season. He has power, but he is king of the solo home run. 22 HR/47 RBI. I like him, but I'd like to see him in the 5-6 spot and increase his RBIs. Agree on Almora - he is close to an automatic out right now.

Schwarbers OBP has dropped a bit over the past month or so, but he is still OPSing .850ish since the beginning of June - he changed up his style, swinging earlier in the count, trying to put the ball in play - its cut down on his walks, but his XBH has skyrocketed with 24 XBHs in his last 161 ABs.

Problem with dropping him down is who goes 1st? Bryant wants to hit 3rd and is the best OBP guy. The only other option I could think of would be JHey, but he has gotten into a groove where he is, worried about messing with that mojo. Don't want Willy or Baez in that role - Rizzo is possible, but he has been a disaster on the base paths this year.

Schwarber has produced 56 runs in 54 games hitting first, the best rate since his rookie season. He has produced 19 runs in 41 games hitting elsewhere in the line up.

For comparison.

Baez has produced 19 runs in 17 games hitting second. He produced 88 runs in 74 games hitting fourth. Bryant has produced 19 runs in 13 games hitting third. He produced 89 runs in 81 games hitting second. Rizzo has produced 23 runs in 13 games hitting fourth. He produced 91 runs in 81 games hitting third. Contreras has produced 42 runs in 42 games hitting fifth and 27 runs in 16 games hitting sixth. Heyward has produced 42 runs in 40 games hitting fifth or seventh. He has produced 21 runs in 32 games hitting sixth. Garcia has produced 9 runs in 9 games as a starter regardless of where he bats. He is 0 for 4 with 3 K's as a pinch hitter. Bote is hitting over .400 as a pinch hitter and has produced 33 runs in 25 games hitting fifth or seventh. He is unproductive elsewhere.

Morosi saying not a lot of teams in on Castellanos right now, may be cheap. Hopefully can save some pieces there and go after the bullpen, Cubs desperately need an arm that can get out left handed hitters - saw Ken Giles name thrown around a bunch - he would cost a lot with another year of control. I'm assuming after the Kimbrel deal, they will go out and get a rental lefty somewhere.

Schwarber has produced 56 runs in 54 games hitting first, the best rate since his rookie season. He has produced 19 runs in 41 games hitting elsewhere in the line up.

Interesting stats. Thanks. I'd like to see someone with more speed at the top of the lineup. Someone who can put some pressure on the opposing pitcher and D, steal a base, go from first to third, score from second on a single or first on a double, etc. Old school thinking I guess. Given where everyone wants to hit and Schwarber doing a reasonable job getting on base, despite his weak BA, and lack of an alternative leadoff guy, it appears the Cubs will live or die offensively with Schwarber leading off the remainder of the season.

Interesting stats. Thanks. I'd like to see someone with more speed at the top of the lineup. Someone who can put some pressure on the opposing pitcher and D, steal a base, go from first to third, score from second on a single or first on a double, etc. Old school thinking I guess. Given where everyone wants to hit and Schwarber doing a reasonable job getting on base, despite his weak BA, and lack of an alternative leadoff guy, it appears the Cubs will live or die offensively with Schwarber leading off the remainder of the season.

I prefer your description of a lead off hitter, but the Cubs don't have anyone of that nature.

Contreras activated from the IL and Russell optioned to Iowa to make room. Wonder if Happ, Russell and Garcia could get Merrifield? Daydreaming.

Right, no chance that package would get Merrifield. You are likely looking at something around one of our top 3 guys (Nico, Amaya or Marquez), with Happ and likely another top 5-10 prospect. My guess is they can find no takers for Addy anywhere, probably wont cut him, but might not offer him a contract next year.

Nice win in a bullpen game with Lester sick. Bryant leaving early isn't a good thing, hoping it was just precautionary, he has been on fire.

Right, no chance that package would get Merrifield. You are likely looking at something around one of our top 3 guys (Nico, Amaya or Marquez), with Happ and likely another top 5-10 prospect. My guess is they can find no takers for Addy anywhere, probably wont cut him, but might not offer him a contract next year.

Nice win in a bullpen game with Lester sick. Bryant leaving early isn't a good thing, hoping it was just precautionary, he has been on fire.

Hard to believe no one will take a chance on Russell. Good glove, has shown ability to hit. Domestic violence is toxic.

Happ needs to make this opportunity count. I'm not sure the Cubs have much more patience if he doesn't hit again this time.

Recall of Happ makes sense. He has made better contact this month and fits into the clubhouse without difficulty. He is a decent outfield defender. The cost is right. He also quietly serves notice to Schwarber and Almora that they can be replaced in the line up, similar to Garcia's arrival and Russells departure.

Wonder if Schwarber and Russell could get Merrifield?

Back