• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Great win. Jake was dominant. Thank God Castro and Montero came through. 162 runs this year may not get us far.

The bullpen has been really good in a small sample size. Not worried about the bats yet, but hopefully we can get them going this weekend.

The bullpen has been really good in a small sample size. Not worried about the bats yet, but hopefully we can get them going this weekend.

Silent assassins are going to be one of (if not the) best pen in baseball, were really solid last year

Was watching the Cardinals broadcast and they were really going in on how easy to was to get Starlin to strike out (he chases everything). He has got to develop some plate discipline at some point.

2-0 victory over Baseball Town USA? I'll take it.

Good outing by Arrieta and great job by the pen.

Was watching the Cardinals broadcast and they were really going in on how easy to was to get Starlin to strike out (he chases everything). He has got to develop some plate discipline at some point.

Meh, this is bad reporting if that's what they said - castro has one of widest swing ranges of any player I've seen since maybe juan gone - and he k's around 16% of the time, on average, without looking it up, I would assume this is league average if not above average. Sure he doesn't take a ton of walks, and likely won't, but he puts the ball in play.

Looking like Cubs are going to move CJ to the pen to get him up quicker - heard that rumor earlier that he was destined for the pen anyway because he is small, but I think he can handle being a starter. Hoping they are just going the Shark route - CJ has some sick pitch movement and speed.

Edwards slight stature raises concern about his durability. He is presently at Tennessee and is penciled into the starting rotation. I suspect he will remain there until the weather warms in Chicago and Maddon has an opportunity to see his present staff in action over time. I agree that the bullpen looks like a real strength of the team. I question the rotation, especially the fifth starter. Edwards might be the best option if needed but he will need to be stretched out. He can always go to the bullpen.

Edwards slight stature raises concern about his durability. He is presently at Tennessee and is penciled into the starting rotation. I suspect he will remain there until the weather warms in Chicago and Maddon has an opportunity to see his present staff in action over time. I agree that the bullpen looks like a real strength of the team. I question the rotation, especially the fifth starter. Edwards might be the best option if needed but he will need to be stretched out. He can always go to the bullpen.

He's already been moved to the pen.

I'm fine with Wood as the fifth starter, he's a better pitcher than 2014, and probably a slightly worse pitcher than 2013. You aren't going to get many better options there, especially if he can find his groove.

I also love our top 4 - Lester, Arrieta, Hammel and Hendricks - I could 100% have cubbie goggles on, but I have great faith in Bosio, and I think Hammel will flourish again in the NL and Hendricks will definitely not be as good as he showed last year, but I think he will settle in as a really solid #3 pitcher in this league - and having him as 4 is awesome. I also think Lester will be fine.

I may be in the minority, but I think our pitching, all around, will be what carries us this year and next - all we need is to put up 4+ runs a game and we are a .500 team.

Newest report from Iowa is that Bryant is going to get the majority of the starts at third and get some OF starts, and Russell and Baez will start at short and second, but after a few games, will rotate back and forth between second and short while they are in Iowa - and Russell will take some starts at third.

This is the first knock I have read from the brass thinking Baez is still locked in as 2B of the future.

I'm optimistic about Hendricks. Hammel and Wood are the concern. Hammel's career other than his stint last year with the Cubs is undistinguished. Hope Bosio is the difference. Wood has been good(2013), decent(2012), and lousy(2014). I'm hoping for at least decent this year. Lester and Arrieta appear top shelf. Hendricks looks like a craftsman and has been outstanding at all levels so far. I think he will be a nice surprise. I agree that pitching is a strength.

Newest report from Iowa is that Bryant is going to get the majority of the starts at third and get some OF starts, and Russell and Baez will start at short and second, but after a few games, will rotate back and forth between second and short while they are in Iowa - and Russell will take some starts at third.

This is the first knock I have read from the brass thinking Baez is still locked in as 2B of the future.

Baez has big holes in his swing. A good start at Iowa would restore much of his trade value. Russell appears more fundamentally sound, if lacking the power potential of Baez.

I'm optimistic about Hendricks. Hammel and Wood are the concern. Hammel's career other than his stint last year with the Cubs is undistinguished. Hope Bosio is the difference. Wood has been good(2013), decent(2012), and lousy(2014). I'm hoping for at least decent this year. Lester and Arrieta appear top shelf. Hendricks looks like a craftsman and has been outstanding at all levels so far. I think he will be a nice surprise. I agree that pitching is a strength.

Hammel has had some pretty good seasons - his only really bad years were 2013 with the O's and 2010 with Rox. I think the NL bump is real for him. And this is also a guy that was the best starter on that 2012 O's team that shocked everyone and was given the ball in game 1 & 5 of their series with the Yanks - I mean, they lost, but he had a solid series.

Again, I am definitely a big homer here - but I like Hammel, and I like the 3/$30 he is on, should more than live up to that. Now, could this position be upgraded? Sure. Could Wood be upgraded? Sure. I would love to see Price or Zimmerman or Greinke or Shark or Cueto slot in as our #1C - but that won't likely happen this year unless we decide Addison is ready to go and the Tigs, White Sox or Reds are out of it and they really want to give up a decent prospect to get a SS.

Baez has big holes in his swing. A good start at Iowa would restore much of his trade value. Russell appears more fundamentally sound, if lacking the power potential of Baez.

I think he is fixable, but I just don't know if the Cubs have the hitting coaches to help out - they should throw Manny back to AAA, they have similar mentalities and seemed to bond last year and Baez saw a pretty big uptick after starting out terrible last year in AAA.

I like Castro, but the ceiling on Baez and Russell is higher - the floor on Baez is much lower, but the potential is through the roof.

We'll see what the takers are. I was hoping we would have pulled the trigger on Mendy for Alex Gordon in the offseason, but Epstein has shown an unwillingness to start parting with prospects yet, any of them.

I like the idea of Manny going back to AAA. I like Epstein's approach, give the kid's time to grow. Prospects are a numbers game. If half of them are successful the Cubs will improve dramatically. The problem is knowing who will make it and who won't. If the Cubs are playing as well as hoped for at the All-Star break, Epstein could become willing to deal.

Last edited:
Cubs 0-2 with RISP in the 2nd - that is going to hurt them against the Rox, they can score. A lot.

A hit with RISP!! And its an infield single that scores no runs, and the Cubs load the bases with no outs and only score one run.

Really need these bats to come alive soon.

Back