• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

We've clinched the tiebreak vs PIT -- 10-6 in the season series. Hopefully we can pull even by the time we see 'em again next weekend as they head west into Kershaw/Greinkeville

A tip of the hat to the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. The Cubs advanced A league affiliate swept Wilmington 3-0 to win the Carolina league championship.

Jorge Soler activated from the 15 day DL. He played for Myrtle Beach in the championship series but might need more time and AB's to contribute.

Magic number for Wild Card playoff is nine.

Last edited:
The main core of the Pelicans is the same team that won the championship at Kane County last year - they are doing well - there are some stars on that team, Underwood, Blackburn, Tseng, Zagunis, Caratini, Young and Torres all likely have a good shot of being big league contributors. Underwood and Torres are the top talent, but Young and Zagunis can rake, Caratini is solid behind the dish and Blackburn and Tseng are young with really good stuff.

Should be an exciting Smokies team next year.

FWIW....Starlin Castro's stats since being removed from the everyday line-up thru 4 plate appearances today...AB-90, R-14, H-32, 2B-6, 3B-0, HR-5, RBI-14, BB-2, K-11, BA-.356, OB-.370, SLG-.589, OPS-.959. Maddon's move seems to have worked. Cubs lead Cards 8-3 thru six innings.

Cub bullpen does the job for the final 4.2 innings and maintains the 8-3 lead for a Cub victory over the Cards. Castro with a walk, single, 2 HR's and 6 RBI's powered the offense. Good to see Grimm, Strop, Rodney and Ramirez do the job with no theatrics. Maddon and Matheny managed this game like a playoff game with the benefit of expanded rosters. They will do it again tomorrow at 1:05 ET. Game on Fox.

Haren was having location issues, but if we do make it to the NLDS and have to face the Cards, I think he slots in as 4th starter, almost have to with how he has performed against them

Also, with his latest performance, Starlin Castro now has a positive fWAR. An $8 million platoon player is tough to swallow, but Maddon was able to take a SS about 10 years ago with a decent bat and turn him into a super sub - you never know, maybe Castro can do the same as a 2B, SS maybe OF?

Dexter Fowler becomes a free agent at the conclusion of the season. As valuable as he has been this season, I doubt the Cubs make the investment. Castro or one of the rookies could replace him. Baez improvement projects him in Chicago full time next year. His glove is demanding it.

Someone who understands baseball better than I do, what's Maddon talking about?

Maddon didn't stop there. He was upset at how the Cardinals were set up defensively in the eighth. The Cubs had an 8-3 lead and runners at first and second, and the Cardinals were playing behind the runners.

"The next time they do it, we're going to run," Maddon said. "I want everybody to know that. I never read that particular book that the Cardinals wrote way back in the day. I was a big Branch Rickey fan, but I never read this book that the Cardinals had written regarding how to play baseball."

An old baseball 'tradition' suggests that if a team has a large lead (5 runs) late in a ballgame (8th inning) they won't 'show up' the losing team by stealing bases in effort to improve their chances to score. In return, the trailing team will set up defensively like they would if the score was close and position the defense as if the leading team might steal. In yesterday's game the Cardinals failed to position their defense in effort to prevent a stolen base, playing behind the runners and assuming the Cubs would not attempt a steal. Maddon's statement served notice the Cub's will not play patsie for the Cards. Show no respect...you will get no respect. Hope this helps.

Cubs hold on and defeat the Cards 5-4. Excellent bullpen effort for eight innings. Rondon and Rosscup left something to be desired and the Cards scored three runs in the top of the 9th. Rondon did enough for the save and probably got a confidence boost. Soler and Bryant hit back to back home runs in the fifth to stretch the lead. Bryant, Rizzo and Castro with two hits each. Cubs pitchers plunk Wong twice and Garcia without retaliation. The final HBP resulted in the ejection of Rondon and Maddon. Lester to the mound tomorrow.

I hope being over aggressive doesn't ultimately end our season. Sometimes we'd be better off just waiting til the next play -- like running Rizzo on a short fly ball to Heyward, just by way of example

I hope being over aggressive doesn't ultimately end our season. Sometimes we'd be better off just waiting til the next play -- like running Rizzo on a short fly ball to Heyward, just by way of example
Confident, winning baseball teams force the opposition to make outstanding plays to beat them. Heyward had forward momentum and made a perfect throw to the plate. Molina made a clean catch and a perfect swipe tag to just beat Rizzo at the plate. An outstanding play by two outstanding players. If any of those factors is different the game is tied.

Cubs lose 4-3. Cards jumped on Lester in the first inning and made it stand up. Cubs finish the week winning five of the seven games against the Pirates and Cardinals. Both teams know we can beat them. Need to take care of business vs. the Brewers.

Heyward has a great arm, him putting it on the money isn't a huge shock. Just not worth the risk with 0 outs, IMO

Cubs are aligning the staff, Hammel is going tonight, Arrieta with a break til tomorrow so he will be on a traditional 5 day rest for 10/7.

Cubs are aligning the staff, Hammel is going tonight, Arrieta with a break til tomorrow so he will be on a traditional 5 day rest for 10/7.

Assume this means Arrieta pitches Sunday vs PIT and somebody gets skipped with the off day then? If so, does seem to make perfect sense

Which unfortunate Milwaukee Brewer has the honor of spending the night in the hospital after being attacked tonight ?

Back