• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

By the way, I know he has cooled off a bit, but JHey is still throwing up a 108 wRC+ this year, which would be by far his best offensive year as a Cub. Numbers hating on his defense this year, my guess is because he is playing a lot more CF this year - but he is likely going to hit his most home runs since 2012.

By the way, I know he has cooled off a bit, but JHey is still throwing up a 108 wRC+ this year, which would be by far his best offensive year as a Cub. Numbers hating on his defense this year, my guess is because he is playing a lot more CF this year - but he is likely going to hit his most home runs since 2012.

He's actually had a great June. He had a rough May, but his splits are 0.329/0.370/0.513 so far in June.

His numbers are a bit better when playing RF (0.281/0.356/0.494 vs. 0.250/0.364/0.359).

Didn't realize that the Cubs had signed Danny Hultzen (#2 pick in the 2011 draft; ACC POY from UVA; essentially retired due to repeated injuries). Looks like he is a bullpen guy now. If he is healthy, Hultzen could be a nice addition.

Davish's ERA is creeping back up near 5. Need a good outing from Chatwood today. Losing 3/4 at home is no bueno. Hope Hendricks returns soon.

So, Tyler Chatwood stinks again. Maybe keep him in the pen, he looked good there.

Also, Collins optioned to make room for Kimbrel, Alzolay stays up.

A little extra juice to today's win. Overcome a five run deficit and make the lead stand by using the four best relievers, including your new five star closer. The Cubs need a spark to catch fire, maybe Kimbrel can provide it.

Hamel just took himself out of the game in the 2nd inning. It is not going to be good if he and Hendricks are out for extended time.

I’ll take my comments back on Quintana for now as Montgomery has been awful. He is either hurt or done. Only good news is the All Star break is coming and they maybe can get healthy in that window.

Since May 14 the Cubs are 20-24. There have been two days off during that stretch. The first came after 16 straight games. The second came after 17 straight games. They have played 11 straight games and six remain until their next off day. Fifty games in 52 days. Brutal.

Too many games cancelled early due to weather

Surprisingly not. The only rescheduled game this year was the game against the Angels on June 3. It was postponed on April 14. The Cubs had five scheduled days off in April, three in May, two in June (one filled by the make up game), four in July (not counting the all star break), three in August, and two in September.

Would not have expected to lose the Hamels start and win Quintana vs. Castillo. Gotta now win the series.

Nice start by Q

Not surprising. He had a three inning, eight run nightmare in early April against the Brewers. Bounced back with three consecutive seven inning starts allowing zero, zero and two runs. He won all three starts. He does not like to embarrass himself.

When Dillon Maples was last optioned to Iowa, Maddon made a point of stating he didn't want to repeat an option. He wanted Dillon to gain control and command of his pitches sufficient to return and remain in Chicago. Alzolay's curve was described as elite because of its 3000+ spin rate. One of five in MLB. I wonder if Maples was included. The average spin rate on his slider is 3007 rpm at an average 90 mph. Fastball at 96-99 mph. Opportunity is knocking.

Cubs pitchers throwing at everybody. Straight trash organization.

Back