• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

It wouldn't surprise me if Schwarber duplicated Bryant's rapid ascent up the minor league ladder. Leftfield has been mentioned as an option to catching. It appears that Russell is going to get an extended opportunity at 2B. Any thoughts?

This potential 2016 makes me drool all sorts of good-

C - Montero
1b - Rizzo
2b - Russell
ss - Baez
3b - Castro
lf - Schwarber
cf - Bryant
rf - Soler

Lake got the call up to give extra flexibility on the bench - starting of well, would love to see him stick as a 4th OF, he's got lots of power and decent potential.

Wood got his job done, 7 IP, 7 Ks, 2 ER - need the starters to go at least 6 now with the shorter pen.

Lets go pen.

Is Wood done? I'm watching with no sound, so I figured he's going for a complete game.

Is Wood done? I'm watching with no sound, so I figured he's going for a complete game.

Yep - they pulled him for PH in the bottom of the 7th. Hes only at 90 pitches - seems like he could have gone one more, but who knows. We'll see who comes out in the 8th, hoping its not EJax.

I've missed owning the Pirates.

Thinking about a Labor Day weekend trip up to ChiTown. Either that or the weekend before. Gotta look at the schedule.

This potential 2016 makes me drool all sorts of good-

C - Montero
1b - Rizzo
2b - Russell
ss - Baez
3b - Castro
lf - Schwarber
cf - Bryant
rf - Soler

Won't be a bad roster to defend our pennants with #wearegood #wearegood #wearegoodgoodgoodgoodgoodgo

Solid outing by Wood. Lake returns with 2 hits, a run and an RBI. Everyone in the lineup contributes in some manner. All runs score after 2 outs in the inning for the second straight night? Think about that.

Early in the season still, but every Cubs starter is at 3.35 or below in FIP. Surprisingly Lester has the lowest FIP at 2.22 despite being 0-2 with a 6.23 ERA. Also the Pirates managed to avoid Lester through a seven game series stretched over 10 days because of the rain out in Cincy. That's pretty incredibly lucky IMO.

So Schwarber has the tools and likely ability to be as good if not better than Bryant or Russell, and would love to see him in the bigs next year - although we may not need him yet if Montero can keep hitting. But this scouting report on his speed made me laugh:

Schwarber may be a below average runner compared to outfielders, but he will immediately be one of the fastest runners at the catcher position, should he stay in that spot. In 3 years at Indiana, he had 12 triples and 23 stolen bases. He's an athletic guy for someone built like a truck.

All-star voting begins today.. O/u 3.5 Cubs?

I'll take the over, but slightly - Arrieta, Strop, Rondon, Rizzo, Castro, Bryant are our only real options - maybe Montero. Rizzo will be in a vote battle with Gonzalez, most likely. Castro will be in a battle with Tulo. My gut says the team is Arrieta, Rizzo, Bryant and then one of Strop or Rondon.

What about this:

Higher number? Cubs in all-star game or days before this thread exceeds pages of the MLB thread

Snap back to reality - Hendricks didn't pitch all that bad, Cole was just aces tonight.

Interesting stat. Through 20 games the pitching staff has given up 2 unearned runs, lowest in the NL. Unlike the past few years the pitchers are picking up the defense rather than falling apart.

Interesting stat. Through 20 games the pitching staff has given up 2 unearned runs, lowest in the NL. Unlike the past few years the pitchers are picking up the defense rather than falling apart.

They are walking over one less person per game and striking out one more per game too, which helps. Gotta keep the pen fresh, and hopefully get Ramirez and Grimm back to replace German and Jackson.

Just saw this will be the Cubs first April with a winning record since 2008. Was a real fun season until the playoffs.

Back