• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Using DeacMan's money numbers, the payroll would be $191M for a 26 man roster. That is $185m plus $6m for 9 players at $650+/- each to fill out the roster. Most estimates I have read use $200M. Tax starts at $208M. Using either projected payroll there is room to operate.

Just looking at the numbers, moving Bryant would free up the most payroll. I have no confidence he will be resigned with Boros as his agent.

What does Bryant fetch in a trade and who is most likely to trade for him?

Phillies? Nats? Jankees? Angels? Win now teams I'd guess since he'd be a two year rental. He should fetch a decent amount - his arb numbers might scare off some teams, but should get back a good prospect or 2 and maybe a useful OF or RP. I'm not on the side of trading him, but it is what it is with this payroll.

Most estimates have the Cubs payroll already in the $215-$220 range after everything is added in with bonuses and likely arb numbers. Already over the first tax line.

Who knows? That's why I think the front office will be flexible when trading. Whoever brings the best return in value is most likely to go. Whoever is willing to sign reasonable extensions probably stays. Rizzo and Baez seem like cornerstones to me. Contreras behind them. If Caratini continues his upward trajectory, Contreras could move to LF or 3B. If I'm an AL front office Schwarber is a DH, corner outfielder or catcher. Bryant could be seen as a corner infielder and an outfielder. Maddon's willingness to move people around allows the Cub front office to make their players attractive solutions at a lot of positions.

Sounds like Cubs should have given Cole a QO - reports out from Jayson Stark that he has a ton of suitors and he is looking for a 1/$20-$25 or 2/$35 or even a 3 year deal at a lower AAV. Might not have taken the QO, and would have given us a lot less flexibility if he did - but sounding like a reunion isn't happening.

Report out that the Cubs and Baez will be working on an extension at the Winter Meetings. Would be great to get him locked in.

Also, still tons of rumors about Whit. The package estimated was Nico plus a top 5 prospect and then a 6-10 range prospect - so like Nico, Alzolay and either Ty Miller or Ademan depending on if they want more pitching. The issue I am still having is what we are giving up - if we really wanted to win, I think that package along with like Robel Garcia and another top 15 guy and/or switch out Miller for McAvene or Abbot who may move way up, might get it done to get Lindor. 2 years of Lindor isn't cheap (probs $36 million over 2 years at arb), but that adds the bat we need. It also provides a ton of flexibility to then subtract a Schwarbs or Bryant or Contreras to remake the farm system, if we need, and you are still left with your top group of Amaya, Marquez and Davis.

Jon Paul Morosi has been banging the drum on Merrifield since the end of the season. Wonder if this rumor isn't his imagination or wishful thinking.

Hope the Cubs get it done with Baez.

Cubs non-tender Addison Russell and Danny Hultzen. Almora, Baez, Bryant, Contreras, Schwarber and Ryan were tendered contracts.

Lots of rumors going around at the winter meetings. But, seeing a lot of people talk about Kris Bryant to the Braves - they have a ton of young talent in AAA and in the bigs that would be interesting. Would expect a high end pitcher or pitching prospect to be the center of the deal, if it were to happen.

His grievance hearing is still not settled, wonder if that is impacting things.

Also, with these massive contracts, feeling like Darvish on a 4/$81 is a decent contract.

Looking at the payroll, the Cubs have stated they want to cut before the add - not much in the top 10 is tradable, either because it makes a hole on our team (Quintana, Rizzo, Hendricks) or because they players are overpaid (Heyward, Lester, Chatwood). Only real movable contract is Bryant - moving Schwarbs saves $8 million. Ok? I feel like he is worth that and replacing him isn't free. Contreras will be making $4.5 million. Ok? But replacing him isn't free.

Dunno. As is, Cubs are still in the running for the NL Central, but they would need a lot of guys to outperform expectations if they status quo.

Lots of rumors going around at the winter meetings. But, seeing a lot of people talk about Kris Bryant to the Braves - they have a ton of young talent in AAA and in the bigs that would be interesting. Would expect a high end pitcher or pitching prospect to be the center of the deal, if it were to happen.

His grievance hearing is still not settled, wonder if that is impacting things.

Add Phillies and Nats to the list, since apparently half the NL East has to be involved in every FA signing / trade this offseason: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2019/12/10/cubs-reportedly-hope-to-market-kris-bryant-to-free-agent-losers-nationals-and-phillies-have-already-checked-in/

Hard to see how the Nats have enough pieces to offer to get Bryant, unless they give up Carter Kieboom, but the Nats position player prospects fall off a cliff after Kieboom, and with big money commitments to Stras, Corbin, Max, among others, the Nats will need low payroll position players to balance out their big money contracts. Think the Nats may be throwing their name in the Bryant sweepstakes with hope that it will force the Phils or Braves to overpay for Bryant.

Hard to see how the Nats have enough pieces to offer to get Bryant, unless they give up Carter Kieboom, but the Nats position player prospects fall off a cliff after Kieboom, and with big money commitments to Stras, Corbin, Max, among others, the Nats will need low payroll position players to balance out their big money contracts. Think the Nats may be throwing their name in the Bryant sweepstakes with hope that it will force the Phils or Braves to overpay for Bryant.

Thats what I read too - centerpiece would have to be Robles or Kieboom. I think Braves are more of a fit than either Nats or Phils - but if I were a GM, I would poke around too, not many times a player of his caliber comes on the trade market with years of control. Same with Betts, who it seems like is not going to be moved.

The good news coming out is that apparently the Cubs are asking for the moon on any trades for Bryant or Contreras - that news is coming from San Diego and I dont think AJ Preller has met a trade he couldnt make.

The Cubs should ask for moon. Bryant and Contreras are legit all stars. An all star at 2B or CF in return should be the goal. Keeping both is not a problem. Bote and Hoerner vying for 2B with Almora and Happ competing for CF would be choices many teams would like to have.

The Cubs should ask for moon. Bryant and Contreras are legit all stars. An all star at 2B or CF in return should be the goal. Keeping both is not a problem. Bote and Hoerner vying for 2B with Almora and Happ competing for CF would be choices many teams would like to have.

My guess is the Cubs are looking for ready now Pitching and then prospect bats and maybe a usable bench piece versus looking for a high level bat. After 2020, we have 2 starters under contract with Yu and Kyle, a controllable starter or 2 is a glaring need for this team to compete over the next few years.

My guess is the Cubs are looking for ready now Pitching and then prospect bats and maybe a usable bench piece versus looking for a high level bat. After 2020, we have 2 starters under contract with Yu and Kyle, a controllable starter or 2 is a glaring need for this team to compete over the next few years.

Good point. The price for pitching is expensive. I do believe an established lead off hitter is a priority. Theo blamed himself for that shortcoming so I expect it to be resolved.

Latest report has Cubs at $214 million already for next year with expected arb numbers. Luxury tax is $208 million.

Does the Yankees number include Cole's new contract?

It does, but the Yankees are a different beast. They are so much more profitable than every other team it's not funny, the luxury tax doesn't do much to them. It shouldn't really to the Cubs either, but they make hundreds of millions less than the Yanks.

Back