• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Javier Baez ranked first among major league infielders by Outs Above Average with 19. Victor Robles ranked first among outfielders with 23.

Theo finally pulling out the big guns. Traded Tony Kemp for a AAA 1B from the A's named Alfonso Rivas. Know nothing about him, from his stats, looks like he falls in line with most of our players, lots of walks, lots of k's and decent gap power. Was their 4th round pick in 2018 and Looks like he can also play COF, guessing its for OF depth. From what I can tell, he is in the range of top 20-30 prospects for the A's and his big knock was they aren't sure if he is going to develop real power.

If you are into trading away kris bryant, Donaldson going to the twins is perfect. Braves, Nats, Dodgers all still looking for a 3B.

The Rivas - Kemp trade gives the Cubs options. Kemp had none and Rivas has the max. Roster flexibility.

The Rivas - Kemp trade gives the Cubs options. Kemp had none and Rivas has the max. Roster flexibility.

Rivas is likely going to be in AA or AAA at best. Moves a man off the 40 man, have 3 spots available now - not that they have any money to fill them but definitely flexibility if they go the route of adding a couple reclamation starters on minot league deals.

Cubs sign Steven Souza Jr. Nick Castellanos to the Red on a multi-year deal. Great.

Souza's comming off a major knee knee injury that cost him the entire 2019 season and has been oft-injured in his career. What could possibly go wrong?

Cubs sing Jeremy Jeffress to a major league deal. He was lights out two years ago for the Brewers and then was horrid in 2019. Hes 32, his fastball lost 2 MPH in 2019, dont know about if it was an injury or anything, but its a low risk signing at $850k to see if he can somehow be something close to his 2018 stats.

Astros about to hire Dusty Baker.

Baker has been called the best manager in baseball for 21 of the 24 hours of the day. That may be what the Astros need.

Souza's comming off a major knee knee injury that cost him the entire 2019 season and has been oft-injured in his career. What could possibly go wrong?

He was supposed to be really good, I think he was one of the major pieces coming back to Tampa for Wil Myers. Hes had 1 good year and a few average years - he brings right handed power, which would seem nice, and he is better against lefties, but only slightly. Gonna be a platoon kinda 4th OF, I hope.

Biggest issue so far is that unless they think Souza is a starter and we are gonna move JHey to CF, they seem to be fine with a Almora/Happ platoon in CF, which is scary. Scary enough that Kris Bryant starting CF sounds pretty good.

He was supposed to be really good, I think he was one of the major pieces coming back to Tampa for Wil Myers. Hes had 1 good year and a few average years - he brings right handed power, which would seem nice, and he is better against lefties, but only slightly. Gonna be a platoon kinda 4th OF, I hope.

Biggest issue so far is that unless they think Souza is a starter and we are gonna move JHey to CF, they seem to be fine with a Almora/Happ platoon in CF, which is scary. Scary enough that Kris Bryant starting CF sounds pretty good.

Amora seems like an ok guy, but it's time for him to hit or be dealt/released.

Almora took.huge steps back in 2019 - his defense regressed and he couldn't hit. He was always going to be Castro-like at the plate - usually high average, doesn't walk much, ok power, little bit of speed - but his defense was supposed to be amazing, and it was up until last year. I think we have seen the best of him and it's not good enough, would rather them get rid of him and see what else is out there. $2 million isnt a lot of money to get anything great, but even a lotto ticket on Billy Hamilton might be worth it, or see what you can get Pillar for.

At this point, the Cubs are like $2-3 million over the cap. I think you find a way to move Chatwood for like $5 million of salary relief and just run with this team. Rizzo at first, Happ/Hoerner/Bote/Gennett? at 2B, Javy at SS, KB/Bote/Gennett? at 3B, Schwars/Souza in LF, Almora/Happ/Hoerner in CF and JHey in RF. If JHey can have a year like the first half of last year and everyone can stay healthy, they can compete. The pen is cobbled together, but there are some decent arms there - hate losing Kintzler and Strop, but Kimbrel, Wieck, Wick, Ryan, Jeffress, Megill, Sadler and Cotton can potentially be ok. Alzolay the 5th starter, I guess, behind Yu, Hendo, Q, Lester - with Rea and Mills as the other options.

I think signing Gennett to a minor league deal to see if there is anything left is good (assuming Asuaje and Perez are as garbage as expected), then finding some luck with a 5th starter since Alzlolay, Rea and Mills all still have options.

Probably just everyone now starting to rumor mill around the Cubs, but Jeff Passan reporting that Nolan Arenado would "love" to play for the Cubs. Since he has a full no trade clause, that is definitely something. The other rumors are that Bryant for Arenado straight up has been discussed, and that the Rockies are interested in a franchise catcher. The potential to get Arenado and keep Bryant is still the longest of long shots, but if Theo can find a way, would be amazing to get the best defensive 3B in the league with that offense and locked in for a few years.

At this point, the Cubs are like $2-3 million over the cap. I think you find a way to move Chatwood for like $5 million of salary relief and just run with this team. Rizzo at first, Happ/Hoerner/Bote/Gennett? at 2B, Javy at SS, KB/Bote/Gennett? at 3B, Schwars/Souza in LF, Almora/Happ/Hoerner in CF and JHey in RF. If JHey can have a year like the first half of last year and everyone can stay healthy, they can compete. The pen is cobbled together, but there are some decent arms there - hate losing Kintzler and Strop, but Kimbrel, Wieck, Wick, Ryan, Jeffress, Megill, Sadler and Cotton can potentially be ok. Alzolay the 5th starter, I guess, behind Yu, Hendo, Q, Lester - with Rea and Mills as the other options.

I think signing Gennett to a minor league deal to see if there is anything left is good (assuming Asuaje and Perez are as garbage as expected), then finding some luck with a 5th starter since Alzlolay, Rea and Mills all still have options.

If this is the plan, why should Cub fans expect this year's team to be better than last year's? New manager? So far, I don't see much of an upgrade, and that's assuming KB stays.

If this is the plan, why should Cub fans expect this year's team to be better than last year's? New manager? So far, I don't see much of an upgrade, and that's assuming KB stays.

Probs wont be better, the same maybe - but the Brewers and Cards didnt get much better either. The Reds did, but better for them is the same expectation as Cubs, Brewers and Cards. Still have a decent shot of winning the Central, then its anyone's guess in the playoffs. Cubs had an 80% chance of making the playoffs last year with 3 weeks to go and went on an epic bad run to fall out - injuries and whatever, but the talent is still there to make a run, at least on offense. Q needs to be better and Lester needs to not be horrible for the Cubs to have a real shot.

Also, Cubs have 4 players in the top 100 prospects now - if they can show any kind of life early in the season, they may actually have talent depth to trade again. Money is gonna be a major issue though, at least for this year. If they stay under the cap this year, assume the blow through it next year when the penalty is much lighter.

Also, Cubs have 4 players in the top 100 prospects now - if they can show any kind of life early in the season, they may actually have talent depth to trade again. Money is gonna be a major issue though, at least for this year. If they stay under the cap this year, assume the blow through it next year when the penalty is much lighter.

I'm a neutral observer, but don't see the Cubs as in win now mode. So, trading prospects now is more likely to delay future success than to lead to short-term glory. Also, all of the Cubs prospects are ranked 51 to 100. So, they are either not projected to future superstars or are some distance away from actually helping.

Arenado is a pipe dream. If the Cubs traded Bryant for Arenado they add $13 million to the payroll. Not happening.

I doubt the Cubs can get what they want for Bryant. His value may increase as the season progresses, but if the Cubs are competitive he may be too essential to trade. Bryant will be leaving, so a package of outstanding prospects makes sense on the long term but weakens the team now.

The present roster is competitive. The final month has been a nightmare for two years because this team has assumed they would finish strong. They did not play as well as they could have the first four months of the season and were left with no margin for error. It is a reason Maddon was not retained. Ross is expected to have this team playing winning baseball early. Playing as a "team" intent on a championship. If that doesn't happen we could see wholesale changes

Back