• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Maddon will rotate hitters at lead off unless someone shows they are indispensable. It's about production, not a person. Almora against LHP and Zobrist vs. RHP to start the season, based on prior performance.

Schwarbs gonna 40/40, we'll be fine

Schwarbs gonna 40/40, we'll be fine

Good to read your positive outlook.

Cubs have taken a low key approach during the winter. The rest of the division has received most of the attention. I like it. Pull back, focus on your strengths and improve the areas that need attention.

The starting pitching is strong, deep and experienced. Montgomery is reliable depth and I expect Chatwood to improve. There are some dependable pieces in the bullpen and Maddon used Iowa to his advantage. The numbers were good last year even if the perception wasn't. The biggest upgrade to the bullpen would be Maddon trusting his starters for one more inning. They want it, he just needs to trust them. Make 200 innings a goal.

The everyday players are a known commodity. Rizzo is 30/100, Gold glove and leadership. Expect a Bryant bounce back. Hope that Baez has taken the big step. Three double triple players. I expect another player to take a big step up. Schwarber, Almora and Contreras seem most likely. Contreras needs more rest or needs time at another position to stay fresh and productive. Schwarbs needs plate discipline to make a leap like Baez. Almora has made progress each year. Just a matter of time until he puts a full year together. Albert won't be a shining star, probably the rock you can depend on to contribute every day. Like Zobrist. Heyward is a gold glove right fielder. Anything he gives you at the plate is a bonus. Caratini, Happ, Descalso, and Bote provide depth and flexibility. Russell is a question mark.

This team believes it is championship caliber. The record over the past four years supports that belief. Seems like the team looked in the mirror and realized the reflection was the problem and needs to improve. They appear quietly motivated and content to let their performance do the talking. Everybody in.

Rangers opening day starter is lefty Mike Minor. Likely means we will get as many righties in as possible - I guess JHey could start, but he has struggled getting back into gear after missing the first week of camp - and Descalso has reverse splits, so expecting to see him at 2nd, with Happ and Zobs fitting into the OF somewhere.

Pretty pumped for the season to start.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Minor be a midseason acquisition for some team looking for a reliable 3rd starter.

As an ever-optimistic Cubs fan, I think 88.5 wins is easily achievable. Anything under 90 and I'd be disappointed.

Making my first trip inside Wrigley for a Cubs game since the early 1990s. Over spring break. First visit for my kids. Pretty excited about it.

As an ever-optimistic Cubs fan, I think 88.5 wins is easily achievable. Anything under 90 and I'd be disappointed.

NL Central is going to super competitive this year, I think 90 wins will win it. Lots of Cubs fans freaking out because we did nothing all winter, but its still a great team, just need everyone to stay healthy and perform.

Making my first trip inside Wrigley for a Cubs game since the early 1990s. Over spring break. First visit for my kids. Pretty excited about it.

Congrats man, sounds like fun - I took my kid for the first time late last year, lots of fun. Depending on how old your kids are, checkout the Clarks Crew stuff, or you can get the First Cubs game certificate - or if you are going on a Sunday, go super early, first bunch of kids that sign up get to run the bases after the game.

Sound advice -- my buddy's kid got to announce "Play Ball" or some shit as a consequence of getting there super early

2 things

1) Real games that count this week (Yay!)
2) Ian Happ sent to AAA (Uh, boo? I guess?)

Crazy, did not expect that - guess that means Almora won the CF job outright and will play the majority of the games out there, with JHey as the only other person that can man center. Also, looking like Mark Zagunis won a spot on opening day - if you dont know him, hes been up and down the last 2 years and is an average defender with gap power and good plate discipline.

Zagunis had a better spring training than Happ. Happ is retooling his swing to improve contact and the Cubs want him to play everyday to expedite the process. Zagunis strength may be against LHP. If so, he may get starts.

Duensing DFA’ed. Happ is the very definition of the Cubs issues - can’t hit a straight fastball. They should have traded him last year when he had value.

Zagunis had a better spring training than Happ. Happ is retooling his swing to improve contact and the Cubs want him to play everyday to expedite the process. Zagunis strength may be against LHP. If so, he may get starts.

Its possible they plan on platooning LF with him and Schwarbs. Dunno, even against lefties, would assume we would rather Descalso or Zobs in the lineup. Was really hoping the Cubs would surprise and go after Kimbrel on a massive short term deal, but they are really holding onto this no money thing.

Also, new reports out that Maddon is on the hot seat, and would need to at least win the Central with what he has to stay onboard.

Duensing DFA’ed. Happ is the very definition of the Cubs issues - can’t hit a straight fastball. They should have traded him last year when he had value.

I still buy Happ - he has power from both sides of the plate, can play multiple positions well - he has pretty decent plate discipline, but his swing and miss in the zone numbers are off the chart bad - and got worse in his second year. I think he will come back and be a solid player, he is still young.

Its possible they plan on platooning LF with him and Schwarbs. Dunno, even against lefties, would assume we would rather Descalso or Zobs in the lineup. Was really hoping the Cubs would surprise and go after Kimbrel on a massive short term deal, but they are really holding onto this no money thing.

Also, new reports out that Maddon is on the hot seat, and would need to at least win the Central with what he has to stay onboard.

Wow. What have you done for me lately.

Pretty harsh when the front office and ownership hasn't done a ton to help his cause the last two years

Back