• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Question for those more in the know...why did we call up Federowicz up instead of Contreras when Montero went to the DL? Just not ready/didn't want to rush him?

Question for those more in the know...why did we call up Federowicz up instead of Contreras when Montero went to the DL? Just not ready/didn't want to rush him?

Just not ready, didn't want to rush him. Per Maddon, Federowicz was signed to make sure adequate, experienced depth was available in case of injury. It's all about the responsibilities behind the plate.

I hope you folks appreciate the fact that Jake Arrieta is providing you one of the greatest pitching performances in the history of MLB.

Got a tad worried when the first two guys reached for PIT. No need for concern

After last night's game the Cubs are leading the league in runs scored per game and are allowing the fewest runs per game. The Cubs run differential of +89 is now greater than the number of runs five different teams have scored each (Yankees, Rays, Braves, Phillies, Royals).

Just not ready, didn't want to rush him. Per Maddon, Federowicz was signed to make sure adequate, experienced depth was available in case of injury. It's all about the responsibilities behind the plate.

Eh, this isnt exactly true - he is ready and his bat will play at the MLB level right now, but they don't want to call him up until he will have solid playing time - calling him up now means he has a short stint and won't play everyday or even 4 out of 5 games.

He'll come up in September and be our starting C next year.

Cubs up 3-0 after an error in center by McCutchen with two outs to extend the inning. Zobrist hits the next pitch out of the park.

Seems like the Pirates always have a bunch of errors again us.

Eh, this isnt exactly true - he is ready and his bat will play at the MLB level right now, but they don't want to call him up until he will have solid playing time - calling him up now means he has a short stint and won't play everyday or even 4 out of 5 games.

He'll come up in September and be our starting C next year.

Caveat, unless Miggy comes back and blows it up, then it will be a solid time share - but I would guess the Cubs move Miggy in the offseason and have Contreras/Warbird and some AAAA player to be shuttled back and forth.

Is this Ross' last year? If so, I could see him being a manager somewhere next year.

Hot damn. Pirates loaded the bases with no outs and Lester gets out of it with no runs.

That's rare.

Caveat, unless Miggy comes back and blows it up, then it will be a solid time share - but I would guess the Cubs move Miggy in the offseason and have Contreras/Warbird and some AAAA player to be shuttled back and forth.
I wonder about Schwarber's ability to catch next year. Knee surgery on ACL and MCL is tough. Catching is the tough on knees. I wouldn't be surprised to see a gradual return to catching.

Baez with a double to score Rizzo for a 4-0 lead. Javy has made a transformation at the plate and his glove is top notch. It looks like a solid play for a starting position. Of course, base running mistakes like that don't help.

He's announced he is retiring at the beginning of the year, its a pretty big theme of the team - thats why jhey is buying him a suite and the whole granpa rossy thing.

Yeah I know they were talking about it a lot. I didn't know if it was officially official but with the Heyward stuff I knew it was practically gonna be his last year.

Saw a tweet last night that the only two pitchers to ever give up a grand slam to David Ross faced each other as starters.

I'm beginning to wonder if Lester is allowing the Pirates to put runners on base just so he can wiggle out of trouble.

Following on tracker so it's hard to tell, but any insight on why Lester is missing the zone so much today? Just a little off?

La Stella has played a lot better this year than I expected he would after Kyle got hurt. He's really stepped up

Back