• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

It appears as if LaStella and Baez have played their way into the everyday line up. Soler and whoever needs a day off are on the bench. Bryant to the outfield. I can never be sure with Maddon. It's one of the reasons I like him. Any thoughts?

He likes tinkering with the lineup, and having 10-11 solid guys just gives him more flexibility - they mentioned originally using Baez in the supersub role to get him 100-120 games, which it appears they are doing, and TLS is there when someone needs a day off, like Russell. I mean they have three players in Baez, Bryant and Zo that can shift around as needed - that helps covering with days off and makes sure everyone gets enough playing time.

Lackey in a groove - up to 11 ks through 7 innings.

Gotta imagine he is done though now at 111 pitches. With a 6 run lead, might see Patton come in here in the 8th - he has been cruising in AAA.

Maybe a little drama was good for Rondon. He hasn't seen much lately. Nice response to ensure an 8-6 Cubs win.

Lackey did what you asked. I don't imagine that can be said for Richard and Grimm.

Richard did ok, not sure why they pulled him against Werth - that was overthinking by Maddon and bit him as Grimm was throwing meatballs and got lucky that Espinosa can't hit a fastball.

The ump squeezed the plate on Richard. He threw two outstanding pitches to Harper that were in k-zone but were called balls. I agree Maddon was too quick on the trigger. I would have allowed him one more batter. He needs some success and a boost of confidence.

I always enjoy watching 'marginal' players succeed. Tim Federowicz singles and scores the first Cub run to tie the game in the third. Ryan Kalish hits a bases loaded two out single in the sixth to drive in two runs and give the Cubs the lead. His excitement at first base afterward showed the satisfaction that comes when you contribute in the clutch. Good stuff. Good victory against an outstanding team.

At least Rondon looks good as hell.

Warren trailing off big time after his hot start.

Hendricks strugglebus in the first along with a Baez error - great start boys.

Zo was hitting too good, had to move him up to leadoff. Seems silly Joe.

Yeah with Fowler getting a break in game one, someone had to be put up top but not sure who it "should" be. Soler struggling at the plate and there weren't a ton of options (not that I'm necessarily sure you'd want Soler at leadoff anyway). Trying to think who else would fit there currently on the roster.

Zobrist 2-2 already with an RBI.

Yeah with Fowler getting a break in game one, someone had to be put up top but not sure who it "should" be. Soler struggling at the plate and there weren't a ton of options (not that I'm necessarily sure you'd want Soler at leadoff anyway). Trying to think who else would fit there currently on the roster.

Zobrist 2-2 already with an RBI.

Yeah, really, what the eff do i know.

Bullpen is a miss today. Turned on the game to watch Strop implode. Bullpen has gone from rested and effective to stretched and questionable. Strop has a terrible performance monthly and is money otherwise.

Ramirez missing as well. He isn't the same pitcher we saw 2 years ago. Fastball velocity has diminished from 98/99 to 91/92 and he struggles with control of his breaking pitches. Maybe warm weather will bring more heat.

Lose two games in a day to a team constructed by AJ Preller.

Burn it down

Back