• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

2016 Chicago Cubs Thread: 25-6 day/night DH

Losing both games of a DH to the Fathers is no bueno

Last edited:
Good time for a day off. Lackey looked pretty solid last night. Get the bats back on track this weekend against the Pirates.

Nothing like losing both games of a DH to bring the fan base back down to earth.

You already know we are going to stay grounded. It's in our collective DNA. And the most paranoid among us believe this is nothing more than setting us up for a spectacular and bizarre October collapse - like a game winning HR being caught after it hits a bird on it's way out of the park.

In the meantime Pittsburgh is, oddly, facing a pretty important series this weekend in Chicago if they want to remain in the division title race. It's mid-May. A sweep by them changes the dynamic. A sweep of them puts them 10 games back already. And going 1-2 or 2-1 doesn't do much of anything for their hopes either other than keeping the pressure firmly on them to perform.

8-0 Cubs right now in game 1, bottom of the 5th.

Last edited:
Not sure thats completely true now - last year has a lot of fans feeling like this is our year (me included).

Addison Russell with a three run HR in the third. Bryant with a two run shot and Ross with a three bomb in the fifth. Somebody found the bats with runs in them. 8-0 Cubs.

My perspective after seeing it all in my 45 plus years on this earth - it won't ever happen, but I'm going to enjoy the hell out of watching them try. And if it does happen, awesome.

It appears as if you have learned from bitter experience. That's my approach as well. Welcome to the thread.

My perspective after seeing it all in my 45 plus years on this earth - it won't ever happen, but I'm going to enjoy the hell out of watching them try. And if it does happen, awesome.

In the last 40 years, there were only two real times that we collapsed, 84 and 03 - the other teams were good, but not great. 84 was part of the screwy system that messed with home field and 03 was a bad outing by Wood in game 7 and some other things.

I think we have earned the right to get our hopes up and play from out front. This is the first time in forever that people actually dislike the Cubs - its a good feeling.

08 was really goddamn annoying -- to win so many regular-season games and not win a single playoff game. And I'd argue we collapsed in '04 not to make the playoffs, though Houston playing out of their minds had something to do with that.

The thing both those years have in common is it was our second year under a manager who had wild success in their first year -- but I do think this team is different and this year will be different.

Last year was a little bit of an exception but this year included I'm not exactly living and dying with every regular-season pitch (hence my apparently not-obvious-to-some sarcasm over our 2L day vs SD). Rightly or wrongly everything will be decided in October

Last edited:
08 was really goddamn annoying -- to win so many regular-season games and not win a single playoff game. And I'd argue we collapsed in '04 not to make the playoffs, though Houston playing out of their minds had something to do with that.

Last year was a little bit of an exception but this year included I'm not exactly living and dying with every regular-season pitch. Rightly or wrongly everything will be decided in October

Manny was destructive after getting traded - the Dodgers were looking like the better team, until they ran in to Cole and Fat Stairs. In 04, we were at best a WC team with Cards anyway.

In the last 40 years, there were only two real times that we collapsed, 84 and 03 - the other teams were good, but not great. 84 was part of the screwy system that messed with home field and 03 was a bad outing by Wood in game 7 and some other things.

I think we have earned the right to get our hopes up and play from out front. This is the first time in forever that people actually dislike the Cubs - its a good feeling.

There have been other collapses. '69 was not in the last 40 years, but that was an epic collapse. In each of 1970-1972 they should have won the division and failed. In 1989 they were tied 1-1 with SF and gave away game 3 after leading in the game late. They also had leads after the 5th inning in each of games 4 and 5 and lost both. This after going 6-6 against the Giants in the regular season. That, in most books, would be considered a collapse as well - although all those games were close.

You always have the right to get your hopes up though. Ride it out every year whatever way works for you.

BTW, I went to the game on Tuesday night. Hadn't been to Wrigley in a few years. New scoreboards fit in well. And they developments they have planned are going to drive a ton o revenue.

The thing both those years have in common is it was our second year under a manager who had wild success in their first year -- but I do think this team is different and this year will be different.

Last year was a little bit of an exception but this year included I'm not exactly living and dying with every regular-season pitch (hence my apparently not-obvious-to-some sarcasm over our 2L day vs SD). Rightly or wrongly everything will be decided in October

I would also say they are well positioned to go for it over the next several years. Winning in sports is often about getting yourself in a position to win enough times. The biggest concern is the pitching staff over the next 3-4 years. They're going to have to figure that out as they go. I'm not sure I'd resign Arrieta. As awesome as he has been, he'll want a crazy number of years and a crazy number. Lackey is 38. Hammel is 33. Lester is 31 or 32. And the farm system, while good, does not have any can't miss arms.

It's our day anyway. Arrieta captures his seventh win. Rizzo and Russell hit home runs. Cubs win 8-2.

Montero was activated from the DL and caught today. Kalish designated for assignment. Maddon wants the flexibility of 3 catchers and was impressed by Federowicz.

Last edited:
Oh look another win over our AAA affiliate on the three rivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back