• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Flip those, game tracker was behind.

Russell walks first, then Montero walks.

Let's steal another one.

The bad news. Heyward leaves the game in the first inning after colliding with the wall making a diving catch. Injury unknown.

The good news. Cub bats boom in the second. Bryant with a three run HR to take the lead to 5-0. Exhale, at least for the moment.

Final score 8-1 Cubs.

Last edited:
MRI shows Heyward has a contusion on his right rib cage and is expected to be out 3-5 days. Matt Szczur recalled from DL rehab. Neil Ramirez DFA. I doubt Ramirez could pass through waivers so he is probably gone, hopefully via trade. This is the first time the Cubs have played with twelve pitchers since last year. More changes seem imminent.

Where the hell is our offense?

I think LaStella needs to play more and sit/demote Soler. He is not giving us anything, especially in key situations. He is hitting .190 on the season with 33 total bases in 39 games. He needs to go to Iowa for a few weeks to figure it out.

Rizzo is 2 for 30. Russell is 3 for 33. Baez is 3 for 31. LaStella is 3 for 18. That's 11 for 112 collectively. Fowler has cooled off to .250. Buttermaker is correct. Slumps and losing streaks happen. No choice but to grind it out.

Where did that come from?

There have been a handful of media people speculating on it - not sure if its just pure speculation, but usually when 3 or 4 people write about it, there is at least something going on. With his huge contract, can't imagine the Cubs would want to give up much, so I don't think there is as much a match there as there would be with going after someone like Josh Reddick, Jay Bruce or Colby Rasmus.

The imaginative minds of sports journalists. Reminds me of trading baseball cards as kids.

Heyward is pushing to return to the lineup. Szczur and Montero have returned from the DL. Maddon will have a full, healthy roster by the weekend. It may not seem like much, but those players are important. Rizzo, Baez and Russell all got a hit yesterday. You could see the relief on Rizzo's face after his hit and I would bet Russell and Baez felt the same. Soler has collected five hits in his last five games. As tough as it seems at present, the team is 12-9 in May. The pitching and defense have remained strong. This team has great chemistry. Maddon will be able to return to his everyday lineup with Szczur, Baez, LaStella, and Ross on the bench by the weekend. I doubt there is panic at Wrigley at present or the need to make a trade. Barring an injury, the next move is likely Federowicz to Iowa for a pitcher or another bat.

FWIW, Shane Victorino was released. Ready to play but no spot for him per management. Kalish and Murton appear to be the outfield depth if needed.

The imaginative minds of sports journalists. Reminds me of trading baseball cards as kids.

Heyward is pushing to return to the lineup. Szczur and Montero have returned from the DL. Maddon will have a full, healthy roster by the weekend. It may not seem like much, but those players are important. Rizzo, Baez and Russell all got a hit yesterday. You could see the relief on Rizzo's face after his hit and I would bet Russell and Baez felt the same. Soler has collected five hits in his last five games. As tough as it seems at present, the team is 12-9 in May. The pitching and defense have remained strong. This team has great chemistry. Maddon will be able to return to his everyday lineup with Szczur, Baez, LaStella, and Ross on the bench by the weekend. I doubt there is panic at Wrigley at present or the need to make a trade. Barring an injury, the next move is likely Federowicz to Iowa for a pitcher or another bat.

Almost a given they will trade for another OF at some point, its not panic, its just smart if they can do it - and Theo is good at getting guys way before the deadline when their value may not be at its peak.

I read it on the Brewers SBNation site.

Would be interesting to see who we would part with. Maybe Soler+a big minor leaguer+some other minor assets.

I'm down with that if it means we get Braun.

I read it on the Brewers SBNation site.

Would be interesting to see who we would part with. Maybe Soler+a big minor leaguer+some other minor assets.

I'm down with that if it means we get Braun.

Hes got 4/$76 left - his age 33-36 years - not a great investment since it would basically force us to move JHey to CF and Braun to RF and Warbird to LF and loses a spot for Almora next year.

I wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't love it.

Hard to believe they would invest that much money over four years. Arrieta will need $$$ to stay and the money freed up by the Hammel and Lackey contracts may not cover it.

Hard to believe they would invest that much money over four years. Arrieta will need $$$ to stay and the money freed up by the Hammel and Lackey contracts may not cover it.

Montero, Lackey, Hammel, Fowler is $42 million - Braun is $20, $19 and $17 in his last three years - leaves money for Jake assuming we can fill in the rest of the holes with minor leaguers - main issue would be SP

Montero, Lackey, Hammel, Fowler is $42 million - Braun is $20, $19 and $17 in his last three years - leaves money for Jake assuming we can fill in the rest of the holes with minor leaguers - main issue would be SP

Having said this, I still highly doubt we do it because of the fit, with the contract/money being secondary.

I would put strong odds on Reddick if the A's continue to play well behind in the West.

Back