• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Hard to believe they would invest that much money over four years. Arrieta will need $$$ to stay and the money freed up by the Hammel and Lackey contracts may not cover it.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Arrieta. As dumb as it sounds, I'm content to let him walk after next year if it's going to tie us up for a long time.

We are getting him in his absolute prime now and he said he's not taking a discount to stay here.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Arrieta. As dumb as it sounds, I'm content to let him walk after next year if it's going to tie us up for a long time.

We are getting him in his absolute prime now and he said he's not taking a discount to stay here.

Its a business, I dont think Theo will overpay for him - because he likely will want Greinke money and we want to pay him Strasburg money. Would love to have Snake retire as a Cub, but would not want to drop $30 million a year for him - he doesnt have as many MLB innings as a normal 31/32 year old will have, but still, thats a lot of money for a guy with 3-4 solid years (assuming he pitches well next year).

Montero, Lackey, Hammel, Fowler is $42 million - Braun is $20, $19 and $17 in his last three years - leaves money for Jake assuming we can fill in the rest of the holes with minor leaguers - main issue would be SP
I figured you would know the math. Thanks. I have mixed feelings on Arrieta. If the Cubs win it all in the next two years, I think Arrieta is history. Assuming his performance level remains high, I think Boras will push for a fortune and the Cubs will hold a budget. If the team is still striving to win rings, management might go for broke. Letting a Cy Young award pitcher walk would be a tough sell to the fans.

I figured you would know the math. Thanks. I have mixed feelings on Arrieta. If the Cubs win it all in the next two years, I think Arrieta is history. Assuming his performance level remains high, I think Boras will push for a fortune and the Cubs will hold a budget. If the team is still striving to win rings, management might go for broke. Letting a Cy Young award pitcher walk would be a tough sell to the fans.

Agree.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/stor...ddux-leave-was-hall-fame-blunder-chicago-cubs

Not the exact same situation, but its happened before. We have a good core, and it will be up to Jake wants to be really rich with the Cubs, or really really rich with someone else.

Good bounce back game. Every starter gets on base and most score. Baez, Fedrowicz, and Szczur come off the bench and contribute. Hammel with his best start of the year.

Low. 7.8%? I think we win this one like 12-3.

vIf0lAD.gif

I think LaStella needs to play more and sit/demote Soler. He is not giving us anything, especially in key situations. He is hitting .190 on the season with 33 total bases in 39 games. He needs to go to Iowa for a few weeks to figure it out.

Soler shut me up tonight!! 2R, 2H, HR, 3RBI, 2BB

And I love the cameras on Matheny when his team is getting blasted. That makes my night.

Jake is struggling today - the 6 spot we put up in the 2nd may stop him from taking the loss, but he cant get anything good going - throwing a lot of hittable balls today.

Jake is struggling today - the 6 spot we put up in the 2nd may stop him from taking the loss, but he cant get anything good going - throwing a lot of hittable balls today.

The past few outings he has struggled to locate his pitches well.

Our offense has been quite good with him on the mound.

KBoom may have just gotten Arrieta to 9-0 even with a shitty outing. Hes gone after 5 innings.

Back