• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Montero may have had the worst defensive game for a catcher ever last night. Back to back errors, multiple balls past him where it didn't even look it he was trying to block the ball with any urgency, got called out multiple times for it by the broadcasters.

The second error he made of the back to back was just awful. Nobody was covering second and the guy on first wasn't running and he just randomly throws the ball out into centerfield after a pitch. It was little league style.

I wondered if that was a blown defensive set-up by the SS or 2B?

Montero usually doesn't do stuff like that.

Our bats are so inconsistent right now after a super hot start - K rates are going up across the board and our walks are down.

We'll get through it.

I wondered if that was a blown defensive set-up by the SS or 2B?

Montero usually doesn't do stuff like that.

I guess it didn't even really matter if there was someone there or not. IIRC the throw was so bad it wouldn't have been corralled as is.

Montero, generally, has a good bat and is a good pitch framer - thats enough for me for this year. Wondering what the Cubs will do with him for next year, a $14 million part time catcher is a tough pill to swallow.

Neil Ramirez was claimed on waivers by the Brewers.

I would not be surprised if Montero, Contreras and Schwarber are all on next years roster. Maddon seems to like the depth 3 catchers provide and the flexibility to use them as PH. Schwarber's injury could limit his ability to remain behind the plate and Montero would be quality mentor.

A deal for a quality LH reliever seems prudent if Richard continues to struggle.

I'm OK with Soler in LF. Bryant seems to like LF and that move allows Maddon to give Baez and LaStella periodic starts as infielders. Szczur gets opportunities as well. I also believe Soler will justify Maddon's faith and patience in him. Enormous upside. Until then, LF is a rotational position that allows four young players PT and opportunity.

Soler has great potential, but we have a lot of OF depth coming up through the minors and with Schwarber already here, have to imagine one of the two of those is moved either in season or during the offseason. Szczur is a 4th/5th OF - SSS and all, but this is the best he has ever hit at any level and I have to imagine its not going to stick for the long term. Fed really should only be rostered when we have an injury to a starting catcher.

Lots of question marks - and with a win now team that has a 2-3 year window before we have a lot of high dollar contracts, I think we definitely make a move this year for someone to actually take part in a WS run, not just a bit player. Baez and Soler have tons of potential, but if we can get a big time bat with 0-2 years left to take the majority of the at bats in LF, I think they do that - which mirrors the things being thrown around in the media.

Neil Ramirez was claimed on waivers by the Brewers.

I would not be surprised if Montero, Contreras and Schwarber are all on next years roster. Maddon seems to like the depth 3 catchers provide and the flexibility to use them as PH. Schwarber's injury could limit his ability to remain behind the plate and Montero would be quality mentor.

A deal for a quality LH reliever seems prudent if Richard continues to struggle.

I'm OK with Soler in LF. Bryant seems to like LF and that move allows Maddon to give Baez and LaStella periodic starts as infielders. Szczur gets opportunities as well. I also believe Soler will justify Maddon's faith and patience in him. Enormous upside. Until then, LF is a rotational position that allows four young players PT and opportunity.

There is no IF about Richard's struggles. The guy is not getting it done and has not all year.

There is no IF about Richard's struggles. The guy is not getting it done and has not all year.
Agree. Fortunately at 35-15 there is time to find the right LHP to augment the bullpen. After last night, Richard is probably relegated to mop up long relief.

Szczur and LaStella are strictly bench players and PH. They have been productive in those roles this year and accept the role and assignment.

Baez and Soler are competing for starter status. I don't discount the possibility of a trade but Theo has time on his side and team chemistry appears important. Right person, right price.

I'm wrong. There are a total of seven LHP in the Cub farm system A(adv) or above. Two are on the DL. Would seem to be a high priority need. It may also account for Richard being given every opportunity to succeed.

I'm wrong. There are a total of seven LHP in the Cub farm system A(adv) or above. Two are on the DL. Would seem to be a high priority need. It may also account for Richard being given every opportunity to succeed.

Yep, not a lot - the only real options at AAA for lhp help would be Concepcion or Ihrig - Soto and Riefenhauser suck. We have drafted a few recently (Sands, Steele) - but need more in the system. Pretty sure there are no lefties on the West Tennessee roster - which is weird.

A good use of 3 hits.

Lester is a different guy this year.

Well not really, his name is still Jon Lester. But he looks so confident this season, a confidence I'm not sure was ever entirely there in 2015

A good use of 3 hits.

Lester is a different guy this year.

Well not really, his name is still Jon Lester. But he looks so confident this season, a confidence I'm not sure was ever entirely there in 2015

Meh, he was as good last year - the only real difference is he is getting luckier this year (.263 babip vs .303 babip from last year) which has helped his strand rate. His K's are down, his BBs are up.

I still have no idea why everyone through he struggled last year - he was given, on average, 2.7 runs per game. I'm guessing people don't like the record, but thats poopoo - if he has Arrietas run support (3.6 runs per game), he is an 18-6 pitcher.

Cubs supposedly interested in Nathan Eovaldi. I don't really get it, but ok. He's still young and could be dominant with that fastball - he's arb eligible for two more seasons and would likely command $10 or so next year depending. Not sure where he would fit in - Lester has 4 more years, Arrieta, Hammel and Lackey have 1 more - Hendricks has 5 more years.

He's got top of the rotation potential, but hasn't shown much more than a #3. Maybe as part of a big deal that includes Chapman or Miller? Can't see the Yanks selling off for another month or so until they completely fall apart.

Kyle Hendricks is looking like a clone of Greg Maddux. Pitch after pitch after pitch at the bottom of the knees just on or just off of the outside corner. Pitches just off the black get called strike because of his ability to repeat location. Downward movement means contact will result in a ground ball. No fuss, no muss, no drama. Outstanding.

Cubs have DBacks, Phils, and Braves in the next three series. Assuming we hold on here we are 37-15 going into those 9 games. Even a 6-3 record puts us at 25 games over .500 at 43-18. That's...pretty damn good.

Kyle Hendricks is looking like a clone of Greg Maddux. Pitch after pitch after pitch at the bottom of the knees just on or just off of the outside corner. Pitches just off the black get called strike because of his ability to repeat location. Downward movement means contact will result in a ground ball. No fuss, no muss, no drama. Outstanding.

He gave Thompson a ball to hit that he took yard, but the other run was scored on a weak infield hit, a ground out that moved him to second, a wild pitch moved him to third and a sac fly. The only other hit was a clean hit by Chutley in the first that was wiped by a double play on the next batter.

Rizzo homers to make it 7-2 - at 101 pitches would be shocked to see Hendricks back out there, but you never know.

I keep forgetting that Hendricks came over in the Dumpster trade and not the Garza trade.

Back