• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Just turned on the game. Soler replaced by Szczur in the third. Injury?

Never mind. Injured left hamstring running the bases. Severity unknown.

Last edited:
Cubs hang on to beat the Phillies 6-4. Lester with 8 innings of 4 hit shutout pitching. Fowler, Bryant and Rizzo have 3 hits each to lead the offense. Grimm and Rondon victimized by home runs and give up five hits and 4 runs in the bottom of the ninth. 40-16.

Lots of articles popping up about the Cubs interest in Joey Bats if the Jays continue to fall behind. He fits in with the rental COF bat and wouldn't be crazy expensive. Have see CarGo being thrown around too, but hes got $20 million on the books for 2017, thats a lot to swallow and gotta imagine the Rox will want something decent back since he is crushing this year. I wish we had of trade for him before 2014 instead of signing Fowler - I am completely fine and like Fowler - but CarGo could have been cheap at that point for a guy that will still push for .800 OPS even away from Coors. Someone will get him this year - maybe the Giants.

Pitchers that are in every article it seems are Chapman, Miller and Teheran. We'll see there - everything saying Chapman or Miller will not be cheap.

I'm hearing/reading everywhere that we are actively looking for that OF as well.

Bautista would make the lineup pretty unreal, and if we can get him as a pretty cheap rental that would be ideal. I'd like that idea rather than taking on the contract of Gonzalez or Braun.

I don't see how the Jays aren't in the race come mid-July, especially in the tight AF American League. Seems like they're figuring things out

Sounds about right, maybe a little low, their rotation is underrated and their O will surely heat up. Can't see them selling up if they're close with all the Rogers $$$. They certainly went for it from an iffy playoff position last year

Almora's call up was surprising until I recalled that Schwarber was called up early last season. IIRC, the idea is to give him exposure to the bigs, evaluate skills and identify what needs improvement.

Almora's call up was surprising until I recalled that Schwarber was called up early last season. IIRC, the idea is to give him exposure to the bigs, evaluate skills and identify what needs improvement.

RIght, he is going to get a lot of playing time over the next couple of weeks until Soler comes back to see what he has.

He does not walk a lot - worried about seeing him do a javy baez from 2014, cause his bat is ok, but not great - but he is a stud defender.

Also, terrible spot to give Almora a PH at bat, that's silly there, wasted him as a defensive option later to get 3 am off third base

Almora's numbers and rep seem to indicate he is a line drive, high contact hitter. Some hitters don't walk much because when they swing the bat they make contact and put the ball into play. He has made adjustments to his approach that have resulted in an increased ability to drive the ball. I'm excited to see his defensive ability. Reputedly Gold Glove level.

Clayton Richard enters. Phillies score.

Clayton Richard sticks out like a sore thumb on our roster

Clayton Richard sticks out like a sore thumb on our roster

Again today, 8-0 going into 9th and he comes in and walks the first batter on 4 balls, only gives up 1 run, but still, he isn't cutting it. We need a replacement soon.

Cubs called up Zagunis and Candelario to AAA.

Zagunis has hit well and looks like he could be a solid COF - gap power, not huge homer potential, but he can walk and get the bat on the ball. Candelario has struggled this year, so seems like a weird call-up, unless it is Rule 5 related and they don't want him in the Minor league draft - not sure the corresponding moves.

Arismendy Alcantara was traded to the Oakland Athletics. In return, Chris Coghlan will rejoin the Cubs.

Back