• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Contreras continuing to call low pitches was the issue - Peralta threw three straight in the dirt and Contreras called that same pitch two more times, you could see him setting up low and outside. Peralta looked ok on every other pitch.

Also, the bottom of the 8th with Contreras on 2nd, Baez got rung up on two balls that were 6 inches off the plate. The zone was egregious.

Maddon told Peralta prior to the game to be ready to relieve against deAza and Nimmo. He predetermined that scenario and it blew up in his face. Peralta or Bosio could have changed the pitch or location. They didn't. It was predetermined. Lackey wobbled in the fifth but was strong in the sixth. He was surprised at being lifted. Maddon is an outstanding manager but he isn't always right. Last night was an example.

Bryant stated that he, Contreras and Baez were all too anxious. They had never seen a 98 mph sinker that broke down and in to a RH batter. As nasty as that pitch was they probably still haven't seen it. They were too busy hacking. Welcome to the bigs and a top tier closer. Learning experience.

Also, Baez for how great he is as a defensive player, makes some bonehead decisions sometimes - that ball should have gone to Rizzo. Rough ending to that game, all around.

I agree. I never realized how talented Baez was defensively until this year, but boneheaded describes his lapses well. He is the same at the plate. He can look clueless then look disciplined. He had 21 RBI's in June to tie Rizzo for second on the team. I hope June is a preview of the remainder of the season.

Jayson Hammel provides batting practice for the Mets as they defeat the Cubs 10-2. The Mets hit 5 homers. Cubs are 11-12 since Soler (and others) departed for the DL and 4-8 since the Cards visited Wrigley. Adversity makes an extended visit.

Cubs cleaning up against their own division but just so so against the others. I don't see a WS team here.

Adversity continues. Lester provides BP for the Mets and they sweep the series. Cubs are now 11-14 since the Soler injury and 4-10 since Fowler went on the DL. The timetable for the return of the players on the DL is still unknown. The team needs to right the ship against the Reds, Braves and Pirates and change the momentum going into the All Star break.

I don't want to see the Mets, Cardinals, Giants, Rangers or Indians in the playoffs. (Nats, meh)

Can that be arranged?

Unfortunately the Reds aren't making the playoffs. The only good news of the day is Coghlan was placed on the DL.

I don't want to see the Mets, Cardinals, Giants, Rangers or Indians in the playoffs. (Nats, meh)

Can that be arranged?

First, I just want the Cardinals to start pitching well enough to make the playoffs, then we will go from there!

Up 8-0 today in 6th. Madden hits for Bryant with Szur. Hopefully his bat won't be needed later

Bryant suffers a left leg contusion in the collision with Almora and is replaced by Szczur. Severity unknown.

Carl Edwards relieves Hendricks in the sixth to face Duvall and Phillips and retires both. Edwards has been used in relief to retire the best hitters in the opposing line up. He's given up one run and two hits in 7.2 innings. He's here to stay as long as he continues to succeed in this role.

We still suck - but that neighborhood call was too close to call, shocked they said he missed it. Also, Travis Wood PH was cool, his pitching was not.

Supposedly the Cubs were out scouting the A's and old friend Rich Hill. Not sure who would get kicked out of the rotation for him - everyone has been down the last month, but you can't bench Hendricks or Lackey at this point - Hammel is the only option, but what do you do with him? Put him in the pen?

Hoping the Cubs were there for Reddick or Rzepczynski or something.

Not really being talked about because small sample size and all, but Jake is OPSing .875 as a hitter in 41 PA this year - .375 OBP. Pretty crazy - I mean, .474 BABIP is pretty sustainable, so I figure that will stick.

What is with Billy Hamilton and the Cubs? Dude gets on base 80 points higher against us, is OPSing over 200 points higher - crazy how he always kills us.

Back