• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I think there were about five separate numbers jinxes throughout the day.

Impressive even by his standards

If we win today we have started the year with three series wins and a tie. Pretty good start, even if they are all 2-1 series wins.

Cubs lose 5-2. So much for three series wins in a row. Bats were quiet. Bullpen giving up runs after an outstanding start. Law of averages. Hopefully, Cubbies will now find some success on the road.

Any Cub fan know who their probable a are vs. the Bucs? I'm a Pirate fan and they are throwing AJ, Liriano, Worley, and Locke.

Bryant has a lot more plate discipline than I thought he would. It was surprising to see also that we lead the majors in stolen bases and pitches taken per plate apprarance.

Maybe just based on his high strikeout rate. He has a pretty low contact rate though which could explain the strikeouts a lot better than bad discipline (although they could be somewhat intertwined). I agree he seems to have pretty good plate discipline - just doesn't connect at a high percentage when he swings.

The Saturday game was a great performance at the plate from Bryant. He took walks when they came up and took his hacks to get on base otherwise. That's the type of thing I expect him to bring night in and night out. Still really excited about him.

Maybe just based on his high strikeout rate. He has a pretty low contact rate though which could explain the strikeouts a lot better than bad discipline (although they could be somewhat intertwined). I agree he seems to have pretty good plate discipline - just doesn't connect at a high percentage when he swings.

The Saturday game was a great performance at the plate from Bryant. He took walks when they came up and took his hacks to get on base otherwise. That's the type of thing I expect him to bring night in and night out. Still really excited about him.

Right, contact rate is his one big flaw - he swings and misses at a lot of balls outside the zone, but he also takes a lot - and has had a solid BB rate, so I am not that concerned since he pounds the ball in the strike zone.

Yep agreed. How many dingers do you think he ends up with this year? I could see 20-30 being pretty reasonable.

Wow delay in second because a woman got hit in the head with a ball on a foul ball hit straight back to home plate. Net gave just enough to hit her. Trying to find video of it and will post if I do.

Video below - don't watch if you don't like seeing people hit in the head. It's not too graphic though.

[video]https://vine.co/v/eaAj922TQpZ[/video]

Back