• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

40mm watched. Most watched MLB game in 25 years. 112mm watched the superbowl, 31mm watched GS/CLE game 7.

I know the Cubs are ratings gold, but surprised G7 had 9mm more viewers than a LeBron vs. Steph G7. GS with the best regular season ever. NBA seemingly trending way up and MLB trending down.

I've lived in Chicago or its suburbs since I was 7 excluding years away for college and law school. I cried like a baby in 1984 after we lost to the Padres (I was just a kid at the time) and the Bartman playoff loss was the most devastating sports experience of my life. Last night, I felt significantly more pure joy as a sports fan than I ever have, and I've seen the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks all win titles in my life. I also got to experience the win with my son who is now the age I was when I first moved to Chicago and it was awesome.

Damnit, that makes me want to hate the Cubs now.

Aren't you an early 30s Warriors fan from Tampa?

i live in sf. please point to the look at me posts about how great this feels.

for the record my mlb team has never won a ws in any fan's lifetime. some real long suffering fans.

i live in sf. please point to the look at me posts about how great this feels.

for the record my mlb team has never won a ws in any fan's lifetime. some real long suffering fans.

But you live in SF. The Giants won 3 just recently.

Can't hear you over the joy of being World Champions.

In all seriousness, I probably have spent way more time watching the Cubs than any other team, including Wake Forest, due to tv time and sheer number of games. The time invested in the team (my entire life) makes it extremely worthwhile to see last night happen. I can only be a fan for as long as I've been alive, so I don't really feel bad about not meeting the standards of fandom from blowhard message board d-bags.

Good post.

Congratulations to all the real Cubs fans, whomever they might be. It wasn't the best played game 7, but definitely one of the most intriguing.

On the true fandom subject, who are the top 3 celeb true believers? I did not realize vedder was so into it. Murray, as annoying as he's become, is always there. I feel like I see Cusack and Belushi quite a bit and they're more under the radar. Vaughn is kind of in your face about it and seems to always have the mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Swanson is legit.

On the true fandom subject, who are the top 3 celeb true believers? I did not realize vedder was so into it. Murray, as annoying as he's become, is always there. I feel like I see Cusack and Belushi quite a bit and they're more under the radar. Vaughn is kind of in your face about it and seems to always have the mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The correct answer, of course, is Jake Roberts.

My train in to the city this morning from the suburbs was absolutely packed with high school kids and families in Cubs gear heading down to the parade and rally. My sister lives on the 42nd floor of the building at Michigan and Oak which is where the parade begins. I'll try and get some photos from above if anyone is interested.

Sounds like he's preparing to leave from his comments.

But we all thought he was gone last year, too

Weighing his options, no reason not to - and the Cubs have a replacement if he is too expensive, which is definitely possible. The option was for junk money if I remember, but I think the Cubs did that for him so he would not be eligible for a QO - which I assume hindered his ability last year. I could also be wrong, but I thought that was the reason.

Would love to have him back next year if it makes sense. Will still need some pen help.

Weighing his options, no reason not to - and the Cubs have a replacement if he is too expensive, which is definitely possible. The option was for junk money if I remember, but I think the Cubs did that for him so he would not be eligible for a QO - which I assume hindered his ability last year. I could also be wrong, but I thought that was the reason.

Would love to have him back next year if it makes sense. Will still need some pen help.

I lied, he got a QO. Assume everything above is made up.

Cubs also decline Hammel's option for next year. My guess is that spot will go to Monty.

Travis Wood, Joe Smith, Trevor Cahill, Chris Coghlan and Munenori Kawasaki did not receive qualifying offers. All will become free agents.

With Wood and Chapman as possible departures, Montgomery and Zastryzny have an opportunity for more prominent roles.

Back