• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Pitchers on the present roster that are proven performers or have elicited positive comments from Maddon: Arrieta. Buchanan, Edwards, Grimm, Hendricks, Lackey, Lester, Montgomery, Patton, Pena, Rondon, Strop, and Zastryzny. 14.

Position players on the roster who have contributed to a championship: Contreras, Montero, Schwarber, Baez, Bryant, LaStella, Rizzo, Russell, Zobrist, Almora, Heyward, Soler and Szczur. 13.

The Cubs have the strength to stand pat and compete for a championship. Given Bosio's ability to resurrect careers and the depth of position players in the minors, I would not be surprised to see Cub management be conservatively selective in adding players this winter. One benefit of a strong farm system is the ability to wait and see what develops over the winter and spring training then make acquisitions accordingly.

That Pen would either need to have career years or really come together - cause thats a bunch of yuck if Monty goes to the staff. Edwards/Grimm/Strop are the best, Zas and Rondon next. I don't trust any of the other dudes - and there are upgrades on all 5 of those. If our "stoppers" or 7-8-9 guys were Edwards/Grimm/Strop, I would be scared as of now.

I'm giving Rondon the benefit of the doubt he will bounce back and that Montgomery stays in the pen. I could live with a core of Rondon, Strop, Montgomery, Edwards, and Grimm to start the season if necessary. I just don't see management paying big bucks for bullpen help over the winter. They didn't last year, acquired help mid season, and it worked out. I could see them sign a starter and a reliever or two and allow them time to develop. Bosio projects. Someone like Cashner. I'm not opposed to signing someone like Melancon, Jansen or Chapman but the money to do so would take away from the money needed for Arrieta and a replacement for Lackey next year.

Baseballs Best Fans doing the lords work today

I'm giving Rondon the benefit of the doubt he will bounce back and that Montgomery stays in the pen. I could live with a core of Rondon, Strop, Montgomery, Edwards, and Grimm to start the season if necessary. I just don't see management paying big bucks for bullpen help over the winter. They didn't last year, acquired help mid season, and it worked out. I could see them sign a starter and a reliever or two and allow them time to develop. Bosio projects. Someone like Cashner. I'm not opposed to signing someone like Melancon, Jansen or Chapman but the money to do so would take away from the money needed for Arrieta and a replacement for Lackey next year.

Not sure what you saw from Rondon, but after his DL stint, he looked all sorts of wrong - if he comes back to 2015 Rondon, I think the pen could be passible, but still not really good. Giving $12-$15 million to a great reliever is not going to preclude us from signing Arrieta or another starter or 2, Montero's money comes off next year and we have a decent amount of young pieces to trade for a controllable starter. Jake is going to want $Texas, not sure we end up doing that either way.

Not sure what we would have to give up, but have now read 4 or 5 articles mentioning the Cubs are targeting Sonny Gray and Sean Doolittle in trade. Thats not coming cheap - Soler / Underwood / Jimenez + 1 or 2 more high to mid level prospects, I would assume.

Edited to add, Happ is likely blocked at 2B for awhile, only real option is OF and that is blocked too, unless Almora completely bombs - Happs performance in the AFL title game may push up his stock - so he could be a center piece or big ticket in a trade, guessing he comes in around top 20-25 in preseason prospect rankings.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Cub management has any interest in the former Cub pitchers who are free agents. Hammel, Wood, Cahill and Smith all made positive contributions but none were worth the $17M+ qualifying offer. The same question applies to Fowler, who surprised me by not taking the QE offer.

I wonder if the Cub management has any interest in the former Cub pitchers who are free agents. Hammel, Wood, Cahill and Smith all made positive contributions but none were worth the $17M+ qualifying offer. The same question applies to Fowler, who surprised me by not taking the QE offer.

Fowler, yes. The others? Likely not unless their market falls apart - would love to keep Wood, but I think he is going to try to go somewhere with the opportunity to start, Cahill too. We turned down Hammel's $10 million option, thats basically a "Thanks for everything Jason, good luck".

I didn't realize Hammel had a option. Good luck. I agree with you on Wood and Cahill wanting an opportunity to start. Any rumors linking the Cubs to any free agents?

I didn't realize Hammel had a option. Good luck. I agree with you on Wood and Cahill wanting an opportunity to start. Any rumors linking the Cubs to any free agents?

It's mostly trades - they are sniffing around the Rays controllable starters too. The only FAs I am hearing are Holland, Jansen, Chapman and Melancon. They will probably find a couple of MR options too.

If I'm the Cubs I'm dangling Kyle Schwarber big time. It would be an incredibly unpopular move with the fans. He is awesome in the clubhouse by all accounts as well. But the guy belongs in the AL and he can be the centerpiece in a trade that brings you a package of cost controlled arms. Good matchups with Cleveland and Tampa Bay and other clubs who can put him at 1st or the DH.

Kyle Hendricks wins the Players Choice Award for best Pitcher in the NL. Solid work there - I think he is a long shot to win the Cy, likely comes in third behind Lester and Scherzer. Have to think Scherzer is almost a lock unless there is the silent anti-advanced stats votes that come in.

Voted on by the players? Just pitchers or position players too?

DaDeacs;2651936[B said:
]Fowler, yes.[/B] The others? Likely not unless their market falls apart - would love to keep Wood, but I think he is going to try to go somewhere with the opportunity to start, Cahill too. We turned down Hammel's $10 million option, thats basically a "Thanks for everything Jason, good luck".

Losing Fowler would be bad, as I don't recall the last quality leadoff man the Cubs had prior to him. His D in center is also strong.

If I'm the Cubs I'm dangling Kyle Schwarber big time. It would be an incredibly unpopular move with the fans. He is awesome in the clubhouse by all accounts as well. But the guy belongs in the AL and he can be the centerpiece in a trade that brings you a package of cost controlled arms. Good matchups with Cleveland and Tampa Bay and other clubs who can put him at 1st or the DH.

i think if they were going to move Schwarber, they would have moved him to the Yankees last year. instead they kept him and moved a really nice, young SS...but they have a few of them.

Losing Fowler would be bad, as I don't recall the last quality leadoff man the Cubs had prior to him. His D in center is also strong.

i am a big fan of Fowler but they have some players in minors that can fill in that loss, and at the same time keeping the payroll down to negotiate with some of the other players for long term deals.

having said that...i know Jimenez will be brought up but i don't know what position in the OF (looks like a corner OF) but they also have Almora, a CF who is supposed to be a defensive gem. also, could Hayward might be moving to CF?

Last edited:
Cubs signed CF John Jay to a one year contract. Career stats are .287/.352/.384. His .996 fielding percentage is the highest of any active CF with a minimum of 500 games. Bats and throws left. He appears to be insurance in case Fowler goes elsewhere and would allow Almora time to acclimate to the majors.

i am a big fan of Fowler but they have some players in minors that can fill in that loss, and at the same time keeping the payroll down to negotiate with some of the other players for long term deals.

having said that...i know Jimenez will be brought up but i don't know what position in the OF (looks like a corner OF) but they also have Almora, a CF who is supposed to be a defensive gem. also, could Hayward might be moving to CF?

Jimenez is a corner OF and he is by all accounts at least a full year away. He's only 19.

Almora is a plus defender (although his AAA minor league season was mediocre in that regard) who can play any OF position.

Ian Happ is a top prospect who is a mediocre defender. He played 2B in college but will probably end up as a left fielder. Big time bat. Hard to know exactly how fast he will roll through the minors. Might be quicker than folks think. I could see him being traded for pitching.

Heyward can play any OF position.

Other guys down on the farm who would be close will project more like Szczur.

Signing Jay is a nice addition as he is a lefty and Almora (a righty) is still sorting out whether he'll be a competent hitter at the ML level. Almora swung at 41% of pitches thrown out of the strike zone. So while he hit for a decent average, his chase rate was among the highest in all of baseball (4th).

i think if they were going to move Schwarber, they would have moved him to the Yankees last year. instead they kept him and moved a really nice, young SS...but they have a few of them.

Gleybar Torres who just essentially was named MVP of the Arizona Fall League.

I'd still be shopping Schwarber assuming he draws a significantly better haul as the centerpiece of a trade than Soler. The Yankees wanted Schwarber for Miller. The Cubs said no and took Chapman. The Yankees, BTW, are stacked with position players down on the farm. They are going to be loaded for bear in a couple of years - as if they need a great farm system.

The Jay signing means Fowler is gone. Jay is meh, but whatever, good platoon/insurance with Almora.

Schwarber is loved by the management team even more than the fans, they are enamored with him - unless something crazy is offered, really don't see them moving him. Your point is valid though, getting a Sale or Archer or whoever would take a lot, but would take a lot less if Schwarbino were included - just really dont see if happening.

Jimenez is a corner OF and he is by all accounts at least a full year away. He's only 19.

Almora is a plus defender (although his AAA minor league season was mediocre in that regard) who can play any OF position.

Ian Happ is a top prospect who is a mediocre defender. He played 2B in college but will probably end up as a left fielder. Big time bat. Hard to know exactly how fast he will roll through the minors. Might be quicker than folks think. I could see him being traded for pitching.

Heyward can play any OF position.

Other guys down on the farm who would be close will project more like Szczur.

Signing Jay is a nice addition as he is a lefty and Almora (a righty) is still sorting out whether he'll be a competent hitter at the ML level. Almora swung at 41% of pitches thrown out of the strike zone. So while he hit for a decent average, his chase rate was among the highest in all of baseball (4th).

Happ has been playing 2B and CF down in the minors, hes not a great CF. His bat will likely get him to Iowa this year - but he is blocked at almost every position - if he can turn into a Zo super utility, there would be options, but I think his only chance of getting real playing time in Chicago in the next 2-3 years will be CF if Almora cant hack it and/or gets moved.

Back