• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Losing to the Rox so we don't have to go through both the Dodgers and Nats in the playoffs.

I approve.

PS, when is Matheny gonna get shitcanned already?

Pretty amazing how many people showed up for a tuesday night game against the marlins. Was a lot of fun.

I cancelled my dinner meeting so I could go back tonight.

I'm a pretty outspoken anti-Wrigley guy, but Wrigleyville - while not my scene - always had some character to it. What the Rickets have done in the immediate area around the stadium is pretty lame. Very suburban feel to it. It's a bummer.

I'm a pretty outspoken anti-Wrigley guy, but Wrigleyville - while not my scene - always had some character to it. What the Rickets have done in the immediate area around the stadium is pretty lame. Very suburban feel to it. It's a bummer.

We know. Funsuckers gonna funsuck.

Talk about a stop-start campaign so far.

Hope we don't regret our failure to build ground when the Cards were struggling

Cubs snap the losing streak with a 7-5 win. Russell, Zobrist and Schwarber emerge from slumps with home runs. Bullpen does the job. On the road for three games with Mets and Pirates.

Maddon looking for a lead off hitter. Jay did the job today. Use him vs. RHP and Almora vs. LHP as the CF platoon.

If you want to go back tomorrow, I won't object #Citicursekilla

Lots of fun. Had 3 or 4 decent lets go cubbies chants going in left field - lots of cubs fans at the game.

I dont know what this is. But i love it.
Cc7O6_5XIAAA8QL.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK'S WRONG WITH YOUR TEAM??? A world championship, and now the win-one-lose-one Brewers are looking at you in the rear-view mirror! And the season ain't young ...

Our bullpen (pitching in general) is terribad. Just is what it is.

Also, Rondon can be dfa'd with lackey, just prefer them gone at this point.

Cubs placed Ben Zobrist on the ten day DL retroactive to June 13 and recalled Tommy LaStella from Iowa.

Rizzo hits leadoff again. Hits a bomb into the water down the RF line. Home run. Umps confer. Call reversed. Maddon ballistic. Request review. Foul ball. Rizzo walks. Hard times for the Cubs with lots of frustration mixed in.

BTW, Maddon tossed.

Last edited:
I was about to complain about the Cub offense taking a dive after the first inning and the pitching staff giving up the early lead for another loss. Then the Cubs come up with a walk and six clutch hits in the ninth to take a 9-4 lead. Of course, Wade Davis can't end the drama. He gives up a run and loads the bases before striking out the final two hitters for a 9-5 win.

Booradley, this is an example of a good win this season. When the Cubs score early they rarely score late. The starters are giving up 1.5 runs more per start and the bullpen performance is sporadic. The defense has improved lately but was terrible to start the season. Lady Luck has gone elsewhere and there is no help in the minors. After two charmed seasons, adversity is making an extended visit.

I'm starting to wonder if the Cubs end up trading away Addison Russell this year. The glut of middle infielders, and MLB ready ones, is a problem - and I would assume one of Baez/Happ/Russell will be gone at the deadline. With TLS hanging out as the 25th guy, and Chesny Young (a TLS clone... or maybe a Ryan Theriot clone) basically ready to come up - there is a lot of flexibility. I think an MLB ready or young MLB player like Russell or Baez will net us a top notch, controllable starter - obviously we are going to have to include other pieces - I am already assuming Dylan Cease is gone in any major deal. But, putting Russell or Baez and Cease and one other MLB ready player into a package gets basically anything thats available on the market, and maybe even some that aren't.

My guess is Cubs go hard Chris Archer if/when the Rays struggle, or Yu if the Rangers are more than a few back at the deadline, or Sonny Gray. Its weird that two of these dudes both have past Cubs connections. Really want nothing to do with the Jason Vargas's or Ian Kennedy's of the world.

I'm starting to wonder if the Cubs end up trading away Addison Russell this year. The glut of middle infielders, and MLB ready ones, is a problem - and I would assume one of Baez/Happ/Russell will be gone at the deadline. With TLS hanging out as the 25th guy, and Chesny Young (a TLS clone... or maybe a Ryan Theriot clone) basically ready to come up - there is a lot of flexibility. I think an MLB ready or young MLB player like Russell or Baez will net us a top notch, controllable starter - obviously we are going to have to include other pieces - I am already assuming Dylan Cease is gone in any major deal. But, putting Russell or Baez and Cease and one other MLB ready player into a package gets basically anything thats available on the market, and maybe even some that aren't.

My guess is Cubs go hard Chris Archer if/when the Rays struggle, or Yu if the Rangers are more than a few back at the deadline, or Sonny Gray. Its weird that two of these dudes both have past Cubs connections. Really want nothing to do with the Jason Vargas's or Ian Kennedy's of the world.

Of course, as soon as I write this I read an article from Rosenthal saying that he talked to the Cubs brass and they are not going to move anything at the major league level. I don't fully believe it, but I am guessing thats their starting point.

From my point of view, I would rather sell high(ish) on Baez or Russell now and keep Jimenez. If they can move Candelario or Zagunis for something good, thats fine, neither have a skill set that would be better than what we have now.

I doubt Baez or Russell are moving anywhere. They are elite defenders and both have shown offensive ability that can develop to match their defense.

Back