• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Contreras to DL with right hamstring strain. He is expected to miss a minimum of four weeks. Victor Caratini was recalled from Iowa. I wonder if the Cubs would entertain returning Schwarber to catcher if Avila and Caratini can't cut it offensively. The preseason plan to use Schwarbs periodically seems to have disappeared.

A tough break for Contreras and the team. He was looking top tier at cleanup and a true team leader. Huge loss.

Contreras to DL with right hamstring strain. He is expected to miss a minimum of four weeks. Victor Caratini was recalled from Iowa. I wonder if the Cubs would entertain returning Schwarber to catcher if Avila and Caratini can't cut it offensively. The preseason plan to use Schwarbs periodically seems to have disappeared.

A tough break for Contreras and the team. He was looking top tier at cleanup and a true team leader. Huge loss.

Until Schwarber starts hitting (0/4 with 4 Ks yesterday), no reason IMO to consider him at catcher. Avila is an upgrade over Schwarber right now.

7 straight Ks now. Take the good with the bad i guess - his plate discipline was always good, but he was swinging at some terrible pitches this game. Hope that's just an aberration.

Crazy thought, but Cubs are only 3.5 behind the rox and dbacks - there is definitely a chance for a Cubs/Cards NLDS showdown again. And I would rather play the Cards than either of the others.

The Cubs bullpen tried to give away tonight's game but the Reds bullpen had a final opportunity and succeeded in the Cub win. Enjoyed watching Maddon go ballistic when Zobrist was ruled to have attempted to bunt with a 95 mph fastball hitting him in the legs. Even the Reds announcers were surprised at the call. Pure BS.

Reds rough up Lester and the Cubs with nine runs in the second inning on a bunch of bloops and a couple of blasts. Lester leaves with an apparent injury. Bryant commits an error on a rocket that may have reinjured his left hand. I'd normally turn this game off but the wind is blowing straight out to center at 15=20 mph, so you never know.

Hunch paid off. Cubs come back to tie the Reds 9-9. Six Cub homers. End of fifth. Wind still blowing. More to come.

Lester not a fan of the wind blowing out. Similar conditions when he got rocked by the Pirates the game before the break

Reds prevail 13-10 behind a competent bullpen. Grimm, Wilson and Rondon all walk the leadoff hitter in the last three innings and all three score. A second walk in each inning added to their problems. Wilson has been a disaster. Nine hits, seven walks and five runs allowed in 5.1 innings.

Kyle Schwarber collects three hits to raise his batting average (.204) above the Mendoza line for the first time since April 30.

John Lester on 10-day DL with tightness in left side and shoulder fatigue. He was joined by Justin Grimm with infected right index finger. Felix Pena and Rob Zastryzny recalled from Iowa.

Last edited:
Need this one. Redbirds are likely to roll this weekend, so the good guys have to be good front runners.

Got it.

Baez play has elevated this month in Russell's absence. So many outstanding defensive plays and his timely run production hitting eighth has been huge. He is earning every day status.

Back