• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Good defense, hitters drawing walks, and good base running? The Cubs??

Their baserunning has been fun to watch, but it may become an issue because pretty much everyone on the team has a green light at any time. Should lead to a lot of SBs and a lot of TOOTBLANs. Rizzo already has his career high.

Help an old man out. What is a tootblan? Numbers, what is FIP. Thanks.

Tootblan is something like "thrown out on the bases like a nincompoop" and comes from some old Cubs' blog IIRC from the time Theriot was around being a moron on bases. Basically tries to get at how much players/teams hurt themselves on the base paths by making unforced errors.

FIP is fielding independent pitching which "converts a pitcher's three true outcomes into an earned run average-like number" (per baseball prospectus). It attempts to normalize pitching based on how well the pitcher does independent of the defense behind him.

Typical Cubs first inning. Sit down the Brewers in order to get up to bat. Leadoff single, Soler singles to center but Fowler gets thrown out at third, Rizzo singles (would have scored Fowler if he hadn't been thrown out), Bryant strikes out on a slider low and away and Rizzo gets thrown out at second to end the inning trying to steal on the same play. So three singles, four batters, and three outs. Wild.

I dunno if that's "typical," but we still might wanna cool our jets with running so much

I dunno if that's "typical," but we still might wanna cool our jets with running so much

I meant typical in the sense that the Cubs have consistently done moronic shit on the bases for as long as I can remember.

I actually like the Maddon strategy of green lighting extra bases, just gets frustrating when the times it doesn't work just like anything else.

These are the Cubs 2.0. All that bad history shit is gone, forgotten, sayonarra.

Or so I tell myself before the inevitable heartbreak

Cubs still up 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th. Lester has thrown 90 pitches and only given up three hits and just batted for himself to lead off the Cubs' half of the 7th.

Cubs win 1-0. Lester, Strop and Rondon shutout Brewers on 4 hits. Russell hits his first MLB HR. Saw a demo of tootblan as well, and it did not cost us the game. What more can a Cub fan ask for?

Cubs lose 6-1. Arrieta roughed up out of the gate. Rizzo hits a HR to account for all Cub scoring. Cub offense is reduced to creating a constant breeze with 18 strikeouts.

Cubs lose 5-3. Maddon decided to intentionally walk Lind to face Ramirez. Big mistake. Ramirez drives in the game winning runs with a great piece of hitting. Sweet revenge. Go to St. Louis for 4.

First truly disappointing series of the season. Not sure a trip to St. Louis is the cure for our suddenly silent bats

Young team will have peaks and valleys - need the pitching to carry us through for the next few games until we get some guys back on track.

Cubs lose 10-9. Poor performance by the bullpen. Grimm, Ramirez and Parker can't return from the DL soon enough. Russell needs to be called up. Hate giving away wins.

Back