• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Tied with the O's for the most one-run or shutout games this season? Damn.

Knew it was bad, didn't realize it was that bad

I think Theo overhauls the team. I suspect Montgomery, Russell, and Schwarber all will be gone. Obviously need to fire Chili Davis and get a different approach - this team was atrocious at the plate.

I'm thinking the same- deal those guys and sign Harper perhaps? What's weird is for all the talk about the Darvish injury and Chatwood ineffectiveness this year, they were completely superfluous to the outcome of the season. It's just so strange how much the offense fell off a cliff. So for next year:

C- Contreras
1B- Rizzo
2B- Baez
SS- ????
3B- Bryant
LF- Happ/Zobrist?
CF- Heyward/Almora (maybe straight L/R platoon?)
RF- Harper

SP- Lester, Hamels, Hendricks, Darvish, Quintana
RP- get a lights out closer, move Morrow to setup role, so back end of BP is Edwards, Strop, Morrow, Closer- that's pretty good

get a good bench bat

That's a very good team.

Baez likely moves to short full time and Happ/Zobs/Bote split time at second.

Schwarbs likely stays - the Hamels decision is key. If they keep him, they have Hamels/Hendricks/Darvish/Q/Lester all under contract for next year. Monty, Almora, Happ all trade targets, but not sure what for - none of them make a big enough salary to offset a huge bat, and none will get a primetime arm, so maybe a bullpen piece? Would still love to see some blockbuster for an Ace, but not sure how that gets done - and who would be the starter going back in the trade (Q maybe?)

Happ will need to step up next season. Almora remains a wild card - very good first half, not so good second half.

Happ will need to step up next season. Almora remains a wild card - very good first half, not so good second half.

Almora is a great defender, but basically a platoon hitter against lefties. He doesn't walk, doesn't hit for a lot of power, isn't that fast - hopefully we can flip him to someone that sees the upside.

Cubs tied the dreadful Orioles for most games scoring 1 or 0 runs -- 40 games.

Good stuff from Theo earlier, listened to the whole presser. Reading between the tea leaves definitely does not sound like Chili will be back, probably not a huge surprise but seems like he'll be the fall guy.

He kinda undersold how streaky AF we were all season but I didn't realize quite how much our offense tailed off post-All-Star Game. Bottom 10 in OPS

Reports out that KB turned down a $200 million dollar extension recently. Hes under control for 3 more years, guessing the contract was 7 years-ish buying out the last 3 years of arb - but would also put him at 33 (maybe 32) years old coming into free agency. No chance Boras signs that, instead he will come out as a 29 year old in 2022 and look for a massive deal.

So, 3 years left until KBoom is in LA.

Please change thread title to include"Offseason" ! Thanks for your help.

aaaaand we're back- what say ye on the Cubs' chances this season?

They enter the year with more questions than last year and also a lot more potential for an up year and a down year -

STARTERS -

- Darvish was a total wash out last year. I don't expect a repeat. He will eat innings and he will strike out a lot of guys. That will by definition be a lift for the staff.
- Lester is a year older. How long can he keep it up?
- Hamels is a year older. How will he hold up?
- Chatwood cannot be as bad as last year
- Hendricks and Q will continue to be steady
- Monty is back
- Are they better positioned for spot starts from youngsters? They should be.
- All in all that is not an overwhelming staff, but it is really good and very deep

PEN -

- Lots of questions
- Frankly I think the season hinges on how well it holds up and performs
- And you can say that about an awful lot of teams

FIELD PLAYERS -

- I feel like they are in very solid shape across the diamond in terms of talent
- People bash on the OF, but Schwarber is no longer a massive liability, Almora and Happ are both solid, J-Hey was better offensively last year and continues to be a stud defensively
- Russell at this stage doesn't have to be there every single day
- Bottom line they are deep and they are good

Milwaukee will be really tough. St. Louis is better by definition save they are a year older again (they've got some creak in that team now).

No reason this team doesn't make the playoffs again and it could be a special season. BUT, the NL is full of haves and have nots at this time and there are a number of teams that will be able to challenge for the brass ring on paper (Philly, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Cubs, St. Louis, LA, Colorado) vs. just a few that have had a legit shot the last few years (just MO).

It's a 95 win team with no losses, the offense still feels like it isn't going to be great, but I dont expect a down year, just tougher competition - from the Cards. I'm bullish on Cards and Reds, I think the brewers come back to reality and I think the Pirates will struggle to win 75 games (take the under).

The pen is going to be key, but we have a lot of pieces once morrow comes back - I think the starters will be fine. If we get 2016 KB & Riz, 2017 Willy, 2018 Baez and Schwarber, we should be fine.

Really hate the underlying Russell problem - was hoping they would cut him. Seems like the Cubs over the past few years are all in on "give the guy another chance".

Back